Where's my breed's section!? Info

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Azz, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I hope so too Chris. I have always been dismayed at how the sites that often come up first in searches have some terrible, inaccurate write-ups - and plastered with ads everywhere as well :lol:

Hopefully Breedia will be different - I want to try and get as many people involved as possible. Not sure yet, but we might also add a featured comments area on the profile - where we put small snippets both from members of the public and leading figures in the breed. There's just so much scope because I have coded the main site myself and so adding things like this should be easy to do. I have a good feeling about Breedia.

Any ideas, please let me know!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. darbee

darbee New Member

Name:
    Darlene Brown
    Azz likes this.
    The only others I know are Jennie's brothers and sister. But as I said the vet is the one I've found this info from. I did read about it in a book but I'm not at home so I can't tell you what the title is. I might have even got it at the library.
  4. asenoj

asenoj New Member

Name:
    andy
    Hello, can't find Bedlington Whippets anywhere!
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Is that a common cross Andy? I've not heard much about them being crossed before :/
  6. asenoj

asenoj New Member

Name:
    andy
    Don't see many of them, but they're lovely! Look like miniature wolf hounds
  7. asenoj

asenoj New Member

Name:
    andy
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Don't tell @Phil that, he loves Wolfhounds :D

Yours, and the one you posted above looks lovely!!

I wonder if we might be better off creating a Lurcher Forum for now? Then, when we get enough owners of specific crosses we can branch out :)
  9. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Azz likes this.
    Beddington whippets probably on hounds section! Little lurchers,had one myself..brilliant cross :) Although azz if you want to do a lurcher section I'd be most interested!
  10. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Ok cool, will try to put it up in the week - remind me if I forget please Ju :)
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The words 'can' and 'worms' spring to mind!
    The discussion on a Lurcher thread could go on forever .....................
    To me my old Mia was a Lurcher, and Tweed is a Terrier/Lurcher cross, but I've come across many 'experts' who have told me she is, a Norfolk Lurcher, a Tumbler, or a Drover's dog. There does not seem to be a definitive Lurcher - but we can all recognise one when we see it.
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Very true. And then of course the discussion can get on to longdogs, and I've heard different definitions of those as well.
  13. ndidi

ndidi New Member

Name:
    sally
    I have got a lab crossed with a golden retriever. She is black though and I just say she is crossed. She doesn't have a fancy name she is s breeding dog for the guide dogs and has a litter and the sire is a black lab no fancy names for them either. They are just cross bred and adorable.
  14. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz likes this.
    It says the American Bull Dog section is under construction, so I guess you're working on it. Another breed to list is American Staffordshire.
  15. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Would American Staffordshire not go under the Pit Bull section? I was going to post some AST history info there. I just did a new APBT thread I'm working on the AST one.
  16. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    See I don't know from all the actual breed lines...really I don't. Just from humble observation. It seems that there are several dogs grouped together as the "bully breeds" at least in the US.
    The American Bull Dog is like Callie. Big head, neck and shoulders with bitty back end in proportion. But a longer nose than say an English Bull Dog. Definitely not a pushed in nose or underbite.
    The American Staffordshire has longer legs and is taller and heavier than a Staffordshire who is smaller and more compact. Sophie seems to be an example except it's been suggested she's a boxer/GSD cross as well.
    Then there is a Pitbull Terrier with the triangular head and distinctive look.
    But then there is the American Pit Bull Terrier which seems to be conglomeration of all of the above.
    And as you've posted. The actual dogs who were the original champion American fighting dogs looked nothing like Callie at all.
    So it's all very confusing.
    But Google search American Bull Dog-they look like Callie.
    American Staffordshire and they look like Sophie, unless they crop the ears and then it's hard to tell...I dunno
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  17. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    You are on the right track bully breeds = group. I think you are confused on which breeds are which.

The reason I said put AST under APBT is because the American Staffordshire Terrier is an AKC APBT genetically. I got a little info together but had busy dog weekend so haven't put anything up. I can always put it up there and if an AST forum is added it can be moved.

AST breeders leaning towards larger dogs have created a heavier built dog on average. They can look more like giant SBT. A catch weight Pit is still typically proportionate and taller than an Am Staff. They also sought to eliminate red nose but blue nose became very common, which is the exact opposite of Pits .
    Sophie doesn't look like an Am Staff, maybe a lil in body would be a similarity but that can be seen in Pits and other breeds. She has finer build and very snippy muzzle. She looks more like a Pit mix or perhaps a Pit that isn't very typy. I don't know how they are seeing GSD/Boxer. Pit mix looks more the like.

I don't know what you mean about Pits. Pit Bull Terrier is an American Pit Bull Terrier. Just as a Boerboel is a South African Boerboel. They are not mixes of all bully breeds. I posted in APBT section some of the foundation info recently. They were created by mixing bulldogs and terriers. They are usually leaner built than AST and have more variance in type.

In American Bulldog there are multiple types. I'm not an expert but I don't believe any should have an itty bitty backend. They should be powerfully built all the way around. The main two types are Johnson / bully these do have short muzzle & more brachy. They look like giant English Bulldogs to me. Scott / Performance are more proportionate and have a longer muzzle but both standards call for an under bite.

I think Callie might be a mixture of Am Bulldog & Pit Bull? It's not uncommon at all. He has some Am Bulldog features it looks like. Or some bully breed mix. People commonly cross them to each other which can make it all the more confusing. He doesn't look like most the old Pit Bull photos but didn't you say he had a resemblance to Kager?

These are examples of Am Bulldogs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are American Staffordshire Terriers
    The top ranked AST
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Keep in mind this is a bitch and heavier built than male Pit.

This is a male
    [​IMG]

These are American Pit Bull Terriers
    The top ranked APBT
    [​IMG]

Another top ranked high pointed Pit
    [​IMG]
  18. ramadanloki

ramadanloki New Member

Name:
    dj
    Do I get to name a breed if I have papers for both dogs .. I accidently breeded my female American bully with a wheaton terrier I thought you guys might know how to do it
  19. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Weetabully :043:

Shouldn't laugh really :018:
  20. ramadanloki

ramadanloki New Member

Name:
    dj
    It wasn't my fault my brother didn't know my dog was in heat and just decided to to bring his dog to my house and leave him there I left for ten minutes and my dog was dragging him thru my yard butt to butt
  21. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Why not just add all these crossbreeds under the same section "crossbreeds" otherwise you are going to have requests for hundreds of designer crosses......!!