Skin allergies Health

Discussion in 'Lakeland Terrier' started by Robby, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Robby

Robby New Member

Name:
    Robby

Skin allergies

Hi all. New member here. I have two Lakeland Terriers, mother and daughter which are 12 years and 8 years old. The mother in particular suffers the worst skin condition from allergies, and we have tried everything over the years, but it just flares up every couple of months. She itches, chews paws, and ends up tearing her skin, causing infection. Her body smell becomes very unpleasant,,and it's almost like she's rotting from the inside.,we had recent full bloods done and she is not showing signs of Cushings, even though her tail,is ratty, and her skin sloughs off regularly. The younger one is less affected but itches under arms and torso. She is also starting to get that smell. We have a great vet, who has tried various means, both naturopathic and drugs. The dogs are grain free, eat cooked meats and veggies. A bit of dry food with home made bone broth in the morning.ni have tried Turmeric paste in their food. Although it's great for arthritis it makes my breed smell even worse, even with the added Ceylon Cinnamon.
    I would love to hear from someone with similar problems. I am at my wits end trying to help my poor girls.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Have you tried changing their flea/worming treatment
  4. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    bless feel sorry for you , a month of my puppy being sore and trying hard to not let him itch as his making him self bleed is stressful . It's very hard to pinpoint what's been making him like this . The one thing the vet did give me is some masaleb shampoo it's helps the redness and it stops them itching I think I'm gonna have to bath blue in it monthly but meby it will help yours to do it once a week . The reviews on it are very good and blue was making his paw very red and it did take it down you could try that , we have spent a lot of money at vets the last month with him keep flaring up and it hard for them not to give them self a skin infection it horrible to see them so sore like that , someone also told me to put some apple cider vinegar into blue water to help clear things as it's a remedy and to try fish oils tablets so I'm gonna try them both too x
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    katie134 likes this.
    Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar, it has to be the (Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar unpasteurised) Small to medium dogs 1 teaspoon in water or food Per day, you can also dilute half-and-half with water and rub onto the body, or mix it in a sprayer and spray effected areas (watch out for their eyes).
    OR
    Another remedy to try is Sulphur 30c potency' one tablet twice daily for 1 week, and Psorinum 1m potency' start with one tablet daily and gradually reduce.
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Read up about the benefits of coconut oil for skin allergies in dogs. Although I don't give it to my two I read some good reports from Shar-Pei owners who've added it to their dog's diets and/or used it on their dog's skin.
  7. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    I haven't tried the apple cider vinegar yet but was gonna give it a go just to see if it will help clear things up .I would prefer to do natural then keep using steroid cream on him .
  8. Robby

Robby New Member

Name:
    Robby
    Hi Katie
    We have used Malaseb and it helps a little. We have now been put on another product by the same manufacturer which dries the skin less. She had fish oil, vitamin e, zinc and some other natural products, but none of these seems stop,the problem for long.
  9. Robby

Robby New Member

Name:
    Robby
    I tried the coconut oil in their food and on the skin, but didn't notice much change. It's also difficult to rub in to paws without going all over the house. They are very much inside dogs. We keep,them off the grass as much possible too.
  10. Robby

Robby New Member

Name:
    Robby
    I tried the ACV in a diluted spray with very bad results. Her skin is so tender that it just stung and the poor thing ran around until I washed it off. I use a very good quality vinegar. I haven't tried it in their food. That's something I can consider.
    I haven't heard of the Sulphur or Psorinum. I will look into that, thanks.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Has your vet had a poo sample tested? I had a problem with an elderly Cavalier bitch many years ago - sparse coat, darkened areas of skin, and generally failing to thrive. Her faeces sample showed that she was unable to digest animal fats, so she was put onto a a low fat kibble, I suppose we would go for a fish based one nowadays, supplemented with coconut oil. The result was remarkable, she grew back a puppy type of coat, and had several more happy years.
  12. Robby

Robby New Member

Name:
    Robby
    She had this condition for so long now I have forgotten which tests we've done. We followed an elimination diet for some time which didn't provide any answers. Apart from her skin condition she is basically a good weight, a happy dog. It's just the problems with constant skin infection, ears and eyes etc.
    I could check this one with the vet, thank you. There have been so many tests over the years and it is frustrating to know its allergy based , but unable to find something to keep,her healthy.