Am confused are these Portuguese Water Dogs..... Questions

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by 6JRT's, Jun 17, 2016.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Am confused are these Portuguese Water Dogs.....

Headlines says Portuguese Water Dogs but the colouring as confused me somewhat as I thought they only came in brown or black with a white chest,
    They are beautiful dogs reguadless

White
    bb9ee5be0a1c13e050f3a1404ebc8927.jpg Cão_de_agua_Português_1.jpg

White & black
    shapeimage_1.png 55be2484a44322343581970f2b32c8c8.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not know what colours Portuguese Water Dogs come in, but the picture #3 in your post is from the CnSand (Sea and Sand) Portuguese Water Dog website.
  4. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    Portuguese Water Dogs come in black, brown and white. Black and brown can have white markings or be solid.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Yes its the colouring that as confused me as the one's I have seen at dog shows [not many at these shows] are black with just a little white on the chest/feet, never seen a white or white/black ones.
  6. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    6JRT's likes this.
    All the Portuguese Water Dogs I've seen at conformation shows have been black and white (Irish marked). During an agility tournament I actually saw a blue/white one! It was a beautiful steel blue with Irish markings. I saw a solid blue at a flyball tournament, too. Unfortunately, blue isn't allowed in the show ring. The only solid white I've seen was an a Frisbee show. The only solid brown (aka chocolate) that I've seen was during a musical freestyle competition. During an obedience competition I did see a Roaned Black and White (Irish). I know roan pops up from time to time, but blue almost never does (wondering if it could be a dilute)?
  7. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    6JRT's likes this.
    Yes, they are Porties. Here in UK, they are almost exclusively brown or black with maybe a little white on the chest/socks or a white chest blaze if you're lucky. PWDS are far more numerous in the States where you can also see more commonly the parti-coloured (your black and white pics) or, if you're lucky, pure white. Other bits of interest are that both link and "pet" retriever clips are allowed in the show ring in USA whereas only lion clip is allowed in UK. Finally (!) - the blacks have ink blue skin whereas the browns have "normal" pink skin. There you go!
  8. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    6JRT's likes this.
    Should have read lion clip.....
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    @curly thanks the photo's must of been taken in America where the white/black is more acceptable then here in the UK.
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    6JRT's likes this.
    Yes they are Porties........ the colours are , black, Brown or White ( not a true white, comes in a few shades) they should be either Black or black with white, or Brown or brown with white, note the highlighted white.......... In the US, they have made up their own rules and as you see there is far to much white on the dogs...... this is due to the fact they sold better (cuter) but the Portuguese standard is as I said, black /brown or white , not white with black/brown.

To much white (should be no more than a 1/3rd) is not desirable (or acceptable ) in most countries, hence here in the UK, you mainly see solids, and as far as I know there is only one white , which was imported from Portugal.