Gordon / Irish setter? Questions

Discussion in 'Gordon Setter' started by Jason Laing, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Jason Laing

Jason Laing New Member

Name:
    Jason Laing

Gordon / Irish setter?

Hi Folks, first post here, looking for a bit of advice. I'm going to look at a litter of Gordon / Irish setter cross pups tomorrow. I've been thinking about getting a pointing dog for a while as I work closely with friends who keep various breeds, red setter, English and German pointers, vizslas and others. I work on a sporting estate with a lot of ground and plenty grouse, snipe and woodcock. This litter has come up locally so could be ideal but I don't have any experience with a Gordon setter. Firstly, I reckon it should be a good cross, both parents from working stock but does anyone have any experience with this mix? Secondly, price, they are looking for £500, is this a fair price for a non pedigree setter? Seemed a bit high to me but don't want to miss out on a potentially good dog for a few quid. Any advice welcome! Thanks, Jason.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Jason and welcome to Breedia from Tikva and me.

I do not know anything about pointing dogs so cannot give you any advice about the possible cross, but hopefully someone with experience will see your post and be able to answer you.

As for price? How does it compare with a full-bred pedigree setter? And was it an accidental or deliberate mating to produce a deliberate cross? Also, do you know anyone with such a cross to possibly compare the two?

The problem with a crossbreed is that you can never know how the pup you buy will turn out. Will he/she take after one breed or the other, and what advantages/disadvantages might either breed have that might come out when a puppy grows.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    KC registered Setter puppy are between £700 - £1000 but if Dam & Shire are champion show dogs (Crufts) then expect to pay between £1000 - £1500
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This pup who the OP is thinking about is a Gordon / Irish setter so whether the dam and sire are KC registered or are champions, is really immaterial. The pup is a cross-breed so IMO the cost should be far less than that of a registered pure-bred of either type.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Have the parents had the relevant health tests done.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Sorry Malka I meant £500 was expensive for a cross Setter - when a KC registered pedigree Setter is £700 - £1000
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What on earth are you apologising for? As I said, it is immaterial whether the sire and dam are KC registered because the pup is a cross-breed, so it should cost far less. But you are correct regarding £500 being expensive for a cross-breed if KC registered pedigree setters are a minimum of £700, IMO the pup should cost no more than half of that - probably even less.

I mean why charge £500 for a cross when you can get a pure-breed for only £200 more? It just does not sound right to me.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I presume that you are hoping to get the substance and biddability of the Gordon, with the greater energy level of the Irish. Although the price does sound a little on the high side, I think it is incidental, as the cost of rearing this crossbred litter should be similar to rearing a litter of Gordons - as long as the breeder has carried out all recommended health tests for both breeds. Also, if you are looking for a particular cross for Field work, your options are going to be limited, so it is either pay up or try to negotiate. A recent fully tested Clocker (Clumber/Cocker) litter in the Midlands was advertised at a very similar price to this, and sold very quickly.
  10. Jason Laing

Jason Laing New Member

Name:
    Jason Laing
    Thanks for the replies. I had a good chat with the breeder and a good look at the parents and pups and have decided to go for a nice wee male pup. All the relevant health check etc all done.
    The pup very much takes after the Gordon setter father in looks, and hopefully will turn out to be a good working dog and companion. Although perhaps the price is high I think I'd regret not going for this one for the sake of a couple of hundred quid. Thanks again, picking him up in two weeks :)