Should I change her food? Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Homeuser, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Homeuser

Homeuser New Member

Name:
    AL

Should I change her food?

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Recently, I had my 14yr YOUNG Shih-Tzu to the vet because she was acting weird, not her normal self. For no apparent reason, she would just get up and quickly walk around the house in a circle. (Not chasing her tail-circle), more like, confused and scared, and seemed to be wanting to get away form a possible bad dream she had. They checked her out and found her to be healthy. and as usual, nothing wrong at time of a Dr Office Visit. (lol) This behavior happened at random times, maybe 4 times in the past month or 2, enough to warrant me to have her checked.

I Googled her symptoms and found it to be similar to Dogie Dementia or Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. Although she wasn't diagnosed with any of these, the Vet suggested I give her Neutricks: http://neutricks.com/
    and
    Purina Pro-plan BrightMinds https://www.proplan.com/dogs/platforms/bright-mind She currently has been eating Wellness Complete Health for Senior.

When I went to local pet store to get Purina, the cashier told me that Wellness is better than Purina.

My Questions are:

1. Is Wellness better?
    2. If so, Can I just mix the 2 so she gets best of both worlds?
    3. Is it better to keep her on her current food, and just give her the daily Neutricks treat instead?

I have read reviews on both of the new items and seen a lot of Very Positive reviews. I just don't want to take away form any good that I am currently doing.

Side note: I am aware that I have to mix any new food I give her with her current food, to gradually change it.

Thanks again!!!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Homeuser likes this.
    Personally, I'd do a bit of independent research by emailing purina and asking why they believe their food may be better than her current food and what research they have done to back up their claims.

Once satisfied (or otherwise) with their answers, I'd go on to ask for samples.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    You be better off seeking your vets advice on food, they be able to tell you if the food do what they claim on packet
  5. Homeuser

Homeuser New Member

Name:
    AL
    Thanks! I asked for samples, but they don't have any, only coupons....lol
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Homeuser likes this.
    I would thank them nicely for the offer of the coupon but I would say that if it is just for an amount off the retail price, you will still be paying for something your dog might not like/might be allergic to/might make her ill etc - which is why you had requested a sample in the first place.

Especially if you are going to change her food.
  7. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
  8. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    Hello, and welcome to the Forum,

Regarding the food, I would do a bunch of reading on different types of dog foods, before going and buying this or that.

Search out Best Dog Foods, and compare.

Personally, I use Acana for my dogs, and find it to be very good (just my opinion).

Regarding your pup.
    At 14 years young, Canine Dementia, is a possibility. Did you run that by your Vet on your visit? It's hard enough to get a true diagnosis with people, not at all sure how you would test a dog, other than just going by the symptoms which you describe (the wondering, the apparent confusion...).

I have a Shepherd/Husky mix, who at past 12, is starting to show some similar symptoms on occasion. At times I find, that it also takes him longer to comprehend what's being said to him. These symptoms come and go, with some days better, some days worse.

So much for the 'golden years', eh? Sigh....

Please keep us updated.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave, 6JRT's and Malka like this.
    Only my opinion but, if your vet thinks that your Shih Tzu has the beginnings of dementia, he will be able to prescribe a drug that might help. It is well worth asking him/her about this option, which is more likely to work than changing the relatively small amount of food that she eats.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Googling symptoms for information of both canine and human symptoms will give you nothing. All it will do is suggest sites that appear to connect to those symptoms. Google is not an expert, it is just basically a referral site and the sites that come up first are those that have more clicks. And a person needs to know, and understand, what the most clicked on are not necessarily the most informative, let alone correct.

They also need to know and understand exactly what the symptoms can mean, not just what sites on Google say they mean.

Why else do you think that people end up buying "snake oil" to cure incurable diseases?

Regarding Neutrix and having read through all, and I do mean all, the information given on numerous sites, there has been no scientific research study that I can find about it, and no proof that it does what the manufacturers say it does. In addition, you can not purchase it from the "manufacturers" of Neutrix - you are just referred to Amazon.com. If the company had all the "proof" that their product works, why do they only sell it through Amazon?

However, I know you love your little wubble but there are proper, researched and proven drugs that can help Canine Dementia/Canine Cognitive Dysfunction, and those are the ones that a Vet should know about and prescribe, prescription only medications and not just recommend products available OTC.

I have no problems with Google - it can and does bring up some 100% accurate information, and I find it very useful, but have to know how to pick out the wheat from the chaff.
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I would agree with the above, I would be seeking medication for "dementia " if suspected, rather than worrying about food, and in my experience vets don`t know an awful lot about food , its not in the remit of experience, they may recommend a brand of food, but that`s usually due to them promoting it for the company
  12. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Agree with Malka and Jackie.

Vets very often push foods as a promotion from whichever company they have a deal with, and not necessarily the best .

That said, I don't really see what a change of food would do for the symptoms which you describe.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My Vet does not sell, or recommend any particular brand of dog food. He does, however, stock some Hills Prescription Diet foods but I only know that because he wanted me to have some when one of Pereg's three-monthly blood tests showed a raised renal function. Being very careful as to what Pereg had, when I got home I checked the ingredients on the label...

...and took the tins back when I took her for her next blood tests - which were perfectly normal. I still reckon there was an error in that particular result.

But, he has always said that during his studies [here in Israel and at Veterinary departments in universities in the US and in Scotland], virtually nothing was taught about canine diet and nutrition, and initially was not happy when I changed Pereg to raw as he knew nothing about it.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Homeuser - for a supplement instead of Neutrix/Neutricks, however they spell it, have a look at

http://il.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Animal-Health-Canine-Geriatric-Basics-120-Capsules/37788

If the price comes up as ₪237.80 it is because I have set iHerb to quote in my currency, but the equivalent is US$61.20 [GB£49.54] for 120 capsules. Depending on her weight, your wubble might only need half a capsule, in which case you can open it, measure half into the open end, use that amount on her food and then re-cap the capsule with the other half in it.

If you are in the US then I think postage will be free and I can give you a code for $10. I have never tried it but I can recommend both iHerb and their products, and they do not sell snake oil.
  15. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
  16. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    Hi Malka,

As you mentioned most Vets (here as well) know very little about diets. It's not something that is really taught in Vet Schools (although it should be!)

If you get an honest Vet, they'll admit to the fact that the advice they give in many cases, is just their personal opinion, or what they heared some of their other clients say.

When it comes to raw food, or home made diets, many are dead set against it. I've often heared, that "PEOPLE FOOD, IS BAAAAAD!" I just turn around and say : Excuse me, what's people food?
    "Well...um...er... you know, table scraps and such..." to which I respond with: Are you saying I eat table scraps???
    To which you get a blank look as their mouths drop open.

Then they re-group and herumpphh....
    Well, dogs should eat dog food!!!

I come back with:
    What did dogs eat before the 1900's when the idea of 'dog food' came around?

Let's just say, that they learn not to argue with me, lol.
  17. Homeuser

Homeuser New Member

Name:
    AL
    6JRT's, Malka and Chris B like this.
    Hello again and Thanks to ALL! These are all good advice. I'm glad I joined and posted here. I'll keep you informed....

Thanks again!!
  18. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Homeuser likes this.
    I'm just saying,,,and I haven't got a clue...but my Boxer of 14 years plus did the same thing when she had a mini stroke........
  19. Homeuser

Homeuser New Member

Name:
    AL
    Thanks to all I must say, with a heavy heart, Misty has now passed on. She had a brain tumor (seizures) and some dementia, the Dr gave meme needsneeds for all, butbut she just stopped eating and drinking. I was away from the forums so I could be by her side. Thank you to all that gave me advice!
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Homeuser likes this.
    I am so sorry to hear that your beloved Misty went to The Bridge. I hope she went peacefully.

Remember the good times, not the bad ones and may her memory be for a Blessing.

Juli
  21. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Homeuser likes this.
    So sorry to hear your news. Just know that you gave her the very best life and that you will always have her with you in your heart.

Run free little girl. Now you have your wings, fly high little girl xx