Top food brands for new DDB Puppie Diet

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by Rsb88, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Rsb88

Rsb88 New Member

Name:
    Rohit

Top food brands for new DDB Puppie

so after the loss of my first Dogue to cancer 2 years ago, my family has decided to get another DDB which should be arriving April 2017.

I just wanted to know what are the top brands or types out there for these breeds, both during puppy stage and then adulthood. I hear a lot about blue buffalo brand but is this the best?

My previous DDB I raised on royal canine large breed puppy and then royal canin adult large breed food, the chicken rice formula if I recall correctly or lamb and rice.
    He was also spoiled in food terms always getting chicken and tuna and meat from us.

I want to have this new dog in the best of health and do my best to give it a happy long life. And was wondering what are the top brands of food out there?

I won't be doing a raw diet it will be dry food, but obviously will give chicken steak etc as treats here and there for meals.

Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GalaposLandSnail

GalaposLandSnail New Member

Name:
    Lena
    Rsb88 likes this.
    I know some people who feed raw. Breeders, too. I don't know how they afford it. Blue Buffalo, Purina Pro Plan, Iams, Diamond, NutriSource, Nutro, Wellness, Purina ONE, Nutro Ultra, Eagle Pack, Nature's Variety, Royal Canin, Hill's Science Diet, Nutro Max, Holistic Select, Pro Pac, Precise Holistic Nutrition, Chicken Soup, Canidae, Puppy Chow, Now Fresh, Nature's Recipe, AvoDerm, Precise Naturals, Farmina, Premium Edge and Horizon are the best brands, in my opinion.
  4. Rsb88

Rsb88 New Member

Name:
    Rohit
    Thanks for taking the time, I just joined and getting a quick response like yours let's me know this is a good forum. I will research all those, if anyone else cares to share, that would be appreciated!!
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Deano227 likes this.
    Sorry but some of the brands you mention are not good

Royal Canine

Dehydrated Poultry Protein, Maize/Corn Maize Flour, Wheat, Wheat Flour, Animal Fats, Pork Protein, Hydrolysed Animal Proteins, Beet Pulp, Fish Oil, Yeasts, Minerals, Hydrolysed Brewer's Yeast Artificial Preservatives, Antioxidants.

Hills isn’t much better https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/articles/prescription-veterinary-diets.php
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Many of the suggested brands have recently featured on a list of America's worst dog foods.
    I think that you will have realised by now that Lena's advice can not be taken seriously!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Deano227 likes this.
    Diamond for example, regularly recall their products. The following is copied from

http://dogfood.guru/diamond/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Their dog food lines include: Diamond, Diamond Naturals, and Diamond Naturals Grain Free. Other products manufactured by Diamond include Taste of the Wild dog food and 4Health brand dog food for the Tractor Supply Company. They also manufacturer many well-known dog foods for other companies ranging from basic dog foods to premium and grain free foods.

Diamond Recalls 2017
    Diamond has a long history of pet food recalls affecting not just their own products but also some of the products they make for other companies. Many of these recalls have been centered around the Gaston, SC plant, but not all of them. Most of the recalls have been due to concerns about Salmonella and aflatoxins. The last major Diamond dog food recall was in May 2012 when they recalled Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Professional, 4Health, Taste of the Wild, and a number of Kirkland Signature products.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    From http://www.petful.com/brands/diamond-pet-food-recalls/

In 2013, a recall of Diamond cat food was initiated because of potentially too-low levels of thiamine. In 2012, a large recall involving Diamond and several pet food companies that Diamond Pet Foods manufactured for was initiated after people who worked at the plant were found to have been contaminated with salmonella. Diamond’s own pet food brands randomly selected tested positive for the bacteria, prompting other pet food companies that co-manufacture at the South Carolina plant to initiate voluntary recalls of their own.
  8. Rsb88

Rsb88 New Member

Name:
    Rohit
    Seems like blue buffalo is a decent. Brand
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The best way to check the quality of foods is through https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Their comments about Blue Buffalo are here

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/blue-buffalo-basics-dry/

However, the following is worth reading:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...ffalo-Caught-Lying-About-Pet-Food-Ingredients
    ~~~~~
    According to this article in Poisoned Pets, Blue Buffalo admitted its been lying to consumers for years about the ingredients in its pet food:

Blue Buffalo admitted the truth in court yesterday: A “substantial” and “material” portion of Blue Buffalo pet food sold over the past several years contained poultry by-product meal, despite pervasive advertising claims to the contrary. The admission came almost one year to the day when Purina filed a lawsuit against Blue Buffalo for false advertising after testing revealed the presence of poultry by-product meal in some of Blue Buffalo’s top selling pet foods.
    ~~~~~.
  10. Rsb88

Rsb88 New Member

Name:
    Rohit
    Thank you for this, !
  11. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    CaroleC likes this.
    Bolded are total garbage and all listed in a recent study that listed worst 25 dog foods.
    Walk away from any Purina products.
    Not sure what is available UK wise but Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Orijen and Arcana are all good brands.
  12. Rsb88

Rsb88 New Member

Name:
    Rohit
    Awesome I like acana, and it's available here in Canada where I'm at !
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  14. Deano227

Deano227 New Member

Name:
    Deano227
    If you want the best for your dog....which you should do....feed a natural raw diet