Holidays General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by GsdSlave, Feb 25, 2017.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Janet and CaroleC like this.

Holidays

Are you going away?

This year were meeting up with friends in Wales in May, haven’t seen them for couple of years so looking forward to it, they are staying for a week, after they’ve gone we will probably tour round Wales for a bit. (Weather permitting.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Janet like this.
    I hope you enjoy it Vee, and the weather is kind to you. We haven't had a holiday since we sold the boat about thirteen years ago. So many illnesses and losses have got in the way since then, and now it just seems to take so much effort to plan, (especially with Beagles in tow).
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Hope you have a good time - there are some great places in Wales, both beach and countryside.

No plans here - I have fantasies about Hawaii or the Caribbean, but fantasies is all they are! We always used to rent cottages from the Forestry Commission in Scotland - they used to allow up to 8 dogs I think it was, though I've never had that many. They seem to have stopped the cottages now, and just rent out log cabins on holiday sites. They still allow dogs - up to 4 - but now charge £10 per dog per night. So it would quickly mount up for anyone with several dogs. But if I was planning a holiday I probably would use them, as it can be difficult to find anywhere which allows more than one dog.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Janet and GsdSlave like this.
    Don't know about Scotland, but there are dog friendly cottages that get mentions on Beagle and Obedience sites - Beags do need to have secure grounds. If you do fancy a break, let me know what area, and I'll see if there are any recommendations.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Janet like this.
    Guess we are lucky as we have the camper, have only come across one site that wouldn’t allow Gsd’s, though we usually aim to find small camping sites found some lovely ones in pub grounds farms ect:
  7. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Depending on what the weather's like I want to spend a few days sometime in April in the Zemplen Hills about 30 miles from where I live. I've found a hotel which has pet friendly log cabins which would be ideal for me and the dogs. It's a lovely part of the country with rolling hills and lakes and I'd like to explore it with the dogs.

Possibly in September when the weather's cooler I'll go somewhere else for a few days. There are lots of castles in Hungary that have been turned into hotels and I'd love to stay in one and naturally it would suit HRH down to the ground!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Never had a camper but had a loads of tents!
  9. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    It's our 30th wedding anniversary this year so we are going to Cape Verde for quiet relaxation

I've never left the current dogs so it's a bit stressful trying to organise it. My son will do the home things and my friend is going to walk them for me so hopefully they will be okay
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    @ Pork1epe1 Log cabin surrounded by hills sounds fab, though I doubt I could climb any now.

@ Chellie Congratulations on your anniversary, hope you have a great holiday.

Look forward to pics
  11. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I've been to Cape Verde but many years ago. In the apartheid days, South African Airways was only allowed to fly over the sea on the way to Europe and Cape Verde was used as a stop over and to refuel planes. Only 2 hours so not long enough to see anything other than the airport.

The place I'd really love to visit is St Helena, also that side of Africa and where Napoleon was exiled to but don't supposed I ever will!
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Going back to my message # 7 I ended up with something like eight tents. Yeah well I first camped with my two and then ended up with two horrid boys belonging to a friend,..then ended up with another horrid boy who I sent home with the parents of the horrid boys when they came for a weekend...

I musta bin mad.

Eight tents? Well, one for me, my children had two pup tents each, and whe the horrid boys [their parents bought the big long tent - sorry, forget the word but it was BIG and was BIG enough for four men let alone boys.

And there was a loo tent and another small tent for food - so what happened was that I used to load my van, go to my friends [huh] and sleep there until ????? 3am. Then drive off to wherever, arriving in time to feed the monsters.

Oh,and erect the tents.

I really must have been mad but they paid for my camping sites, my- not AA the other one - so I had "holidays" for free as it were.

Mad? I woulda been better off dead.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Eight tents ,Gosh i find it hard enough trying to erect a small awning, which according to instructions should take 15 mins (3 hours later :lol:
  14. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    We've not been away for years. For the last 10 years we've lived in a seaside town so it's like holidays everyday for us because we do love it here. All the benefits of the seaside with our own little haven to come back to to live in :)
  15. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Sounds idyllic Chris. I've always fancied living at the seaside.

As for tents - I've done nothing more adventurous than Eurocamp holidays, where the tents are erected and ready and waiting for you! My son however was a Beaver/Cub/Scout/Venture Scout so if I ever decided to go camping, I'd make sure I'd take him along because he's been camping loads of times.
  16. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    My parents had a caravan and even after I was married and had children we usually had one holiday abroad with them (leaving my husband at home)! My father, bless him was happy to take us wherever my mother and I chose and we had some wonderful holidays in France, Holland Denmark and Sweden to name a few countries.

My elder son and his family live on a yacht and at one time I used to fly out to wherever the family was at the time. I remember flying back from St Lucia to Durban one time via London and Johannesburg. I caught the plane just after noon on the Thursday and after a 9 hour wait at Heathrow for the flight to Johannesburg, finally arrived home in Durban at 2 o'clock on the Saturday afternoon. Boy was I shattered!

These days I avoid flying like the plague as it's all too much hassle. One of the reasons I chose to live in Hungary was because there are so many interesting countries in Europe I haven't explored yet which can be done by car. I'd love to visit Krakow in Poland which is only 4 hours away but doubt whether Georgina and Gwylim would appreciate being dragged round museums!
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Ive never been on a plane in my life, the thought terrifies me, furthest ive been outside the UK is France the Ferry trip was not a good one either.
  18. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I'd never been abroad as a child (my father was firmly of the 'England is good enough for me' opinion) and I didn't go on a ferry until I was over 30. And the crossing was horrendous - it was so bad everyone was vomiting, even some of the crew! It was 1979, when all those lives were lost in the Fastnet race. I've been on a few ferries since then and had nice smooth crossings!
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have never been on a plane, and never had passport. Must be a kind of dinosaur!
  20. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I haven't got a passport either! In the days I went abroad you were able to get some sort of temporary passport from the Post Office, I can't remember what they were called.
  21. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I live in a small seaside village and it’s a 10 min walk from our house to the beach, ive only been once in 8 yrs.