Belgian Shepherd Mix? Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Groenendael)' started by Mary25, May 24, 2016.

1. Mary25

Mary25 New Member

Name:
    Marina
    Azz likes this.

Belgian Shepherd Mix?

Hello!
    In February of 2015 we rescued the most shy dog in the pound, he was scared of everything literally. We took him home and it took him a little while to get used to people, especially males, he used to be scared of my husband for months and months. With a time he started feeling better about people and actually started liking a company. We believe he was abused badly with the previous owners, he was so skinny, had anxiety issues and was afraid of everything.
    As a time passed by he got over a lot of things, he is a different dog now, a happy dog, IMG_5318.JPG IMG_7436.JPG IMG_5348.JPG IMG_5318.JPG IMG_7436.JPG IMG_5348.JPG IMG_5318.JPG it took him about 6 month to start barking and being protective over his territory. But oh man, how smart he is! I taught him so many tricks in no time, he just gets everything...
    Pound and vet told us that Belgian Shepherd is his prime breed. But I was just wondering who he could be mixed with... I would think with German because he is really smart, but where is he getting those absolutely adorable fluffy ears?? I would be happy to hear any opinions! Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Collie x Shepherd springs to mind
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am inclined to agree, GSD x working sheepdog, which is a good working cross. I can't see any Belgian type in those photos.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I also cannot see any Belgian Shepherd in him, the nearest being a Groenendael which also has a long black coat, but a Groenendael has upward facing pricked ears which are not fluffy.

He also does not have a Belgian Shepherd shaped head, so I agree with Tina [6JRT's] and Carole that he is probably a GSD x working Border Collie.

But if he is smart as you say and you love him whatever he is, does it really matter what cross breed he is? He is rather handsome whatever he is. :)
  6. Mary25

Mary25 New Member

Name:
    Marina
    Malka, 6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    Thank you ladies for your responses! I'm just curious about what he could be, but I do believe in what you said, he played with a BSD once and there was nothing much in common between them. But he is a great dog, that's what matters.
  7. Patrick Quibodeaux

Patrick Quibodeaux New Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Mary25

I have a Groenendael who is 11 and has cancer. He was also a rescue. I am not sure he is a pure breed, but he is real close. He had the droopy ears, and always the beautiful sad at first, then inquisitive eyes. He was also malnourished and all of the things that come with a rescue. Your dog definitely has a piece of Belgian in it. It will show more and more.

My dog is Mingus by the way, you guys can feel free to send him positive energy.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Patrick.
    Best wishes for you and Mingus. Have you been given a prognosis?
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Welcome Patrick and Mingus. Good wishes to you both and hope he does well.
  10. Patrick Quibodeaux

Name:
    Patrick
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks Carole. He had surgery a few months ago to remove his left anal gland, but he has already had a recurrence. He is on chemo now, and I know it is just a matter of time. I am just enjoying what time I have left with him.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Patrick - little Tikva and I are sending lots of positive energy and vibes for Mingus, and I hope that however long you have left with him will be happy and enjoyable for both of you.

Please give him a gentle cuddle from me - and ear twiddles if he likes them.
  12. Patrick Quibodeaux

Name:
    Patrick
    Malka likes this.
    Thank you Malka,

His blood work came back normal, so I will put him through another 2 week cycle of chemo, then he gets another physical exam.

I finally dragged my hard drive in here so I could show you guys what he looks like.

Mingus.jpg
  13. Patrick Quibodeaux

Name:
    Patrick

That look of his always reminds me of Caesar from the new Planet of the Apes movies.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Patrick - he is gorgeous, and Tikva and I are still sending positive vibes for him. He looks like a glorious cuddle pup and I feel like I want to reach out through the monitor screen to hug him.

But as I cannot, please do it for me?
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    He is lovely. Best wishes for the next round of chemotherapy.
  16. MaureenE

MaureenE New Member

Name:
    ReenE
    Looks a lot like my Fly 50# 13 mos female, we were told she is a border collie belgian sheepdog mix. I had a purebred Groen for 14 years and a lot of the similarities are striking.

Attached Files: