Castration Questions

Discussion in 'Parson Russell Terrier' started by Dowsinho, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Dowsinho

Dowsinho New Member

Name:
    Steve Dowsing
    Innocence likes this.

Castration

Eddie my PRT has just had the chop.. a little more complicated as one testicle hadn't dropped he's 6 months old he was a little drowsy and needy for a couple of hours when he came home yesterday afternoon but then seemed fine ..he has woke up this morning as though nothing has happened !! I know they are tough little fellas but this is amazing.... was told to keep him indoors and calm for 3/4 days..reckon that's going to be a bit difficult ...have any other PRT owners any post castration tales
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello to you and Eddie :039:

I do not know anything about PRTs or even male dogs as I have only had female dogs and my tiddler was spayed when she was 6 months old. Too young but circumstances said otherwise. My previous two girls were spayed at about 8/9 months old after they had had their first [early] season.

But I do know that an undescended testicle needs to be removed before it can cause problems.

Take it slowly and leave it up to Eddie as to how he behaves. I do not think he will do anything to harm his operation - if it hurts he will stop whatever he is doing.

Hopefully.

I am sure that far more experienced than I will soon be along to give you proper advice!
  4. Dowsinho

Dowsinho New Member

Name:
    Steve Dowsing
    Hi :039:
    I definitely think I'm more concerned than Eddie is !!... clearly nothing is hurting him and he's not even bothered about the stitches in as much as he leaves them well alone ... I should count my blessings that he is not in any discomfort but I will leave it till he sees the vet in a week before I let him have his usual run around the fields but his energy levels are so high I may see the vet earlier as he clearly wants to get out and about :069:
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Dowsinho like this.
    My Eddie, a Beagle, was castrated at around 15 months - he is nine years old now.
    He was the first male that I had ever had neutered, and although he was quite a well endowed boy, I was surprised just how small the wound was. He never seemed to notice that anything was different, and didn't need a cone collar. He has had quite an active life, and there have been no changes in his character.
    I'm sure that your vet told you that an undescended testicle was a cancer risk, so long term, you have done the best thing for Eddie. If you keep up his activity level, and don't overfeed, I doubt you will notice any difference in him. Best wishes to Eddie.
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    We have just had Yoji castrated after the vets recommendation of the vet. He only had one testicle that descended and told us of a cancer risk if left alone.
    Sadly, he started to look for the second one, after looking for an hour he decided that he eoither literraly didn't have one or he just couldn't find it. I'm not sure now what the future will bring, but, the surgery was not so good and he needed up with about 35 staples. The removal of them was stressful and painful. Not a nice experience. I'm glad it went more smoothly for Eddie
  7. Dowsinho

Dowsinho New Member

Name:
    Steve Dowsing
    Oh dear
    Sorry to hear that..yes it all went well for Eddie and now 2 days after he is back to his old self ..ie no peace lol
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh poor little Yoji - I am not sure how a vet can miss an undescended testicle but then I studied human gyn/ob so do not know about male stuff. Human or veterinary.

Are male testicles so small that they can be missed if not descended?

I do hope that lovely boy will be OK and very gentle cuddles for him please.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am so sorry Philippa. The poor boy must be feeling very bruised. I have had two Cavalier bitches who turned out to only had one ovary, (a mother and daughter), so I'm pretty sure that it is possible to only have a singleton. I would think that they could have found it if it was there. I hope he is feeling better soon.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    poor Yoji ,sending big hugs x usually they are easy to find, perhaps he was a monorchid

One of my Gs's had a retained testicle which i had removed but the vet (on my request) left him with the other one.
    @ Malka yes they are tiny
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @GsdSlave - Vee - as I said I know nothing about male testicles. Female humans [and dog bitches] are not the same as human or dog males. I had no idea that testicles could be so tiny in dogs. [I refuse to mention my late husband but he was a dog in more senses than one]
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    i mean the 'retained' ones are tiny.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And this is where I admit my ignorance!
  14. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Thank you, I am worried. We took him back to the vets and he couldn't take all the staples out as Yoji got upset and very agitated after 32 were removed, I'm not looking forward to taking him for the rest out
  15. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa