Dogue de bordeaux food Questions

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by naomie, Jul 24, 2017.

1. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie

Dogue de bordeaux food

hello
    and just another question
    GREEN TRIPE :confused2:
    I'm really not trying to be thick here lol:)
    but lol :100:
    are we talking fresh green tripe ??? :078:hahaaa
    and where on earth do you buy it ???
    it says you can get it from the butchers ???
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    naomie likes this.
    Usually commercial butchers if you want whole tripes, but you can buy the washed, minced, frozen stuff in petshops. Pets at Home do half kilo blocks, or bigger bags of the freeflow pieces.
  4. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    hi and thank you CaroleC
    would it be better to get it from the butchers would you say
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    naomie likes this.
    It don't half pong!
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    naomie likes this.
    There are lots of sites on the net that sell frozen raw feeds including green tripe, but it can work out quite expensive, especially if its large dogs.
    I think the cost of raw feeding can vary hugely depending on your resources.

In the UK butchers cannot sell you green tripe as it is considered not for human consumption.
    Abattoirs/ slaughterhouses are good for cheaper meat/bones.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    naomie likes this.
    If you buy from source, remember that you will have all the washing, cutting and mincing to do yourself, and as Janet says, it is very stinky stuff.
  8. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    yeah I can imagine lol, where do you get yours from x
  9. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    CaroleC likes this.
    that's what I'm worried about lol, could put a peg on me nose lol x
  10. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    yeah I looked but they seem expensive, thought it might be cheap making it myself, yeah thinking of getting a dogue de Bordeaux seeing if I can afford to feed it trying to do research lol,
    that's what I thought, but so I have been told you can order it from the butchers, the tripe that is, see I couldn't go to a slaughterhouse it would kill me
    do you think you could get them online from a slaughterhouse
  11. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    naomie likes this.
    Butchers the dog/cat food manufacturers do a 400 g and a 1200 g can of Green Tripe for dogs but have no idea how much it costs. When I was on holiday in the UK 5 years ago I bought a few cans for my dogs from Asda. Unfortunately you can only buy their cat food here in Hungary.

By the way from your other post I think you're planning on feeding raw? I feed mainly home cooked to my two dogs but any meat, (like lamb which is horribly expensive) which I can't get from the butcher, I'll buy canned instead. They're also given kibble as well as raw bones, Personally I think it pays you to give a dog as wide a variety as possible. For example when mine go to kennels as it's not realistic to expect someone to cook for them they eat kibble mixed with wet canned food instead which I provide.
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    naomie likes this.
    I used to go to a Training Club, and the couple who ran it used to get it in bulk from an abattoir. So this information is no use to you at all I'm afraid! When I moved, I tried getting dressed tripe from the butcher, but the dogs weren't exactly excited by it so I didn't bother.

I've googled 'green tripe online uk' and there seem to be lots of places which supply it minced and frozen.

Oh, and re the pong, I used to sometimes get Tripe flavour Naturediet (a wet food in a tray) but then they stopped making it. I telephoned and asked why, and she said it was because they kept getting complaints about the smell!
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    naomie and GsdSlave like this.
    Malka has given you the link to Tarimoor's article on raw feeding, but I don't think you would be able to feed tripe alone. You will need to balance bone, muscle, organ meat, and vegetables to provide all the nutrients that a puppy needs. For example, meat on its own does not contain any calcium.
    This, along with the need for separate storage and hygiene arrangements, is why so many of us opt for a ready balanced ration as a basis, but top with raw or prepared meat, and/or vegetables, for extra palatability.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    naomie likes this.
    Carole - Azz gave the link to Tarimoor's BARF feeding article - IIRC I just said that that article had taught me all I know, and I tweaked it to suit what I can get.

In about half an hour I will start to get Tikva's "wet" evening meal ready - she had half a frozen turkey neck for her breakfast at 10am my time. Her evening meal is, as Pereg's was, a "soup" with all her vitamins and supplements mixed in warm water, a handful of frozen mixed vegetables mixed in [with a small dog it is much easier for me than preparing and freezing vegetables as I used to do for Pereg]. I defrost but do not cook the vegetables.

Then she has approx 25g of raw meat - like the turkey necks and chicken wings bought fresh from my poulterer, packed and frozen by me, but like the vegetables I defrost the meat first. I pack it in meal-size portions, defrost one at a time, and get messy with a pair of scissors to cut it up. Mind you, the initial packing is messy enough as it is! And raw meat, however fresh, does pong when being sorted and packed. Not for the squeamish.

Tikva has raw liver [turkey liver] maybe twice a week, and about three times a week a raw egg thrown in. All the meat is human quality and it is not particularly cheap. But if I will not eat it I will not give it to my dog. Needless to say I cook mine - Pereg and now Tikva have raw.

But Pereg was maximum 20 kilos - Tikva is approx 6 kilos. It is the same amount of work though and it needs just as much balancing, just a smaller amount.
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  16. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    thank you hun I shall have to have a look around,
    yeah was sort of thinking raw and dry, like you say least ill no that they will eat both,
    can you feed them a raw bone as a meal ???
    thank you for your comments
  17. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    thank you Janet yeah I saw a few online that sell it,yeah I can imagine it stinks might smell me house out lol
  18. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    hi hun,
    no was thinking maybe just once a week or something, don't think I could cope with the smell lol
  19. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    that sounds good, thank you hun, with the veg do you just cut in chunks or blend up as surely they would lose all its goodness blending them,
    once I do it I imagine it would be easy and a piece of cake after a while, its just daunting thinking what if I give to much meat or veg, what if I haven't prepared it properly you no lol
  20. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    naomie likes this.
    No, I do not blend anything. Someone gets me catering size packs of mixed diced vegetable - green beans, yellow beans, carrots, peas, sweetcorn [and I do not know about other dogs but Tikva has never passed any corn kernels in her stools although there are not many compared to the other vegetables]. The vegetables are diced quite fine. With Pereg I used to buy whatever fresh vegetables I could, cut them up and open freeze before bagging. Tikki being smaller it is far easier to use the frozen.

I think I have been raw feeding since maybe July 2011 - to long ago for me to remember! So it is second nature to me now - but I do give canine multi-supplements, Omega 3 soft gels, Vitamin E, [trying to remember what else] to make sure that nothing is missing from the diet. Oh yes, Tikva also has a skin & coat supplement, also a hip & joint one, plus what is called Granulated Greens.

I possibly go a bit OTT with vitamins and supplements, but that is my choice.

This evening Tikva's evening meat was turkey liver. Tomorrow will be either a turkey gizzard of a chunk of ox lung. YUK to cutting up a 2 kilo slab of fresh ox lung for freezing in meal-size portions, but it is very nutritious. Each meal-size portion still needs cutting up though for each evening meal.

This is my way - others do it differently. But it suited Pereg and it suits Tikva, and it suits all I can buy here. I am not sure I would be able to afford to raw feed a large dog though!