Dogue de bordeaux food Questions

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by naomie, Jul 24, 2017.

1. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    that's cool hun
    I was told not to give raw veg cause some dogs can not digest it so well,
    but I'm guessing if you was to cut or slice it finely would be better I don't no lol, they say to blend or puree them
    yeah it would be second nature lol, its just knowing the percentage of each and how much, I just worry I will do to much lol,
    vitamins are good, but I'm guessing if you pick well in the veg you will get a percentage of vitamins, but not like you would giving them vitamins tho lol,
    so do you use vitamins for animals I'm guessing and sorry for being thick but what is granulated greens not heard of it,
    so each meal can not be just meat and veg , it has to be part organ and meat and bone,
    was also thinking of maybe adding fruit as well as veg
    so it all has to be weighed so say I just done the calculator thing, and just say if It was 37.5 grams of veg, could I do half and half or veg and fruit
    I sort of no what veg you can use, but not sure what fruit you could use any ideas on that ???
    yeah that's why I'm trying to research best I can cause it will get big lol, and don't wanna not be able to feed it, its just finding meat at a good price
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    naomie likes this.
    @naomie - my version of raw feeding is, after tweaking, what I found suited Pereg. I used to lightly steam things like pumpkin, courgettes and whatever else I could get, before freezing for her, whereas the frozen mixed vegetables for Tikva, like all frozen veggies are usually lightly steamed before freezing. In any case, freezing will make them easy to digest.

Breakfast has always been just a bone meal, straight from the freezer. I would get chicken backs or carcasses for Pereg and break them in half - Tikki would, I am sure, chomble her way through that amount but for her it is either a chicken wing or half a turkey neck. Sometimes a whole large fresh sardine if I can get them - head, guts and all! Also bought fresh, frozen by me and given to her straight from the freezer.

But what I feed is my version of raw. It suited Pereg and once Tikva had finished with the bottle-feeding and then weaning, I slowly started feeding her the same. I find it easy because I am so used to it now but the links from @GsdSlave gave in message #14 are probably easier to follow. You can, of course, tweak any of them but they are a very good basic.

For me it was Tarimoor's post on Dogsey that taught me the basics and I just went on from there.

Vitamins and minerals? Pereg had mostly human ones. The multi-vitamins are canine, not human though, and although Pereg had human hip & joint supplements, Tikva has them in canine powder form. She also has the skin & coat one in canine powder form, being very short-coated.

I am sure I probably go OTT with the vitamins and supplements but I just want to make sure that whatever I give is not missing anything.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    naomie likes this.
    I think dogs vary as to whether or not they like fruit. Most of mine have enjoyed apple cores (I know the pips are supposed to contain some form of cyanide but unless the dog is eating vast amounts I don't think it's a problem). My cocker spaniels have enjoyed blueberries and blackberries. Most of them have liked the occasional cherry, but unless you are extremely rich I don't think they can be incorporated on a regular basis! If you count cucumbers as a fruit, mine will often eat the bits of cucumber my pet bird shoves out of his cage when he's bored with it, but apart from that mine aren't really great fruit eaters.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    naomie likes this.
    The sound of the refrigerator door opening is like a magnet for dog noses! Pereg used to love raw kohlrabi and cucumbers [the ones here are Mediterranean cues, about the size of a courgette], also slices of apples.

Tikva? Hears the door open and it is "wanna nana". In fact I have to buy extra now as Heaven forfend I should want a banana myself - I have to peel two so it is a bit for me and a bit for her. The little booga can even smell them in my bag if I have been to the macolet and bought some!

Oh, and satsumas [or whatever you call them]. It is one slice for me, one for her - any pips first removed, of course! She enjoyed the piece of mango I gave her the other day but I am not too keen on them so only bought a couple to shove in the blender for a shake.
  6. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    First there truly wonderful dogs.
    Second does the pup come from health tested parents?
    As a adult meds are about 2 to 3 times as much.
    Personally I would advise pet insurance.

Nothing about a mastiff breed is cheap.

Life spans for the breed can be a issue, it is very true that many do not see past 6 or 7 years. Looking at the average life span of the line is advised.

Feeding cost are a lot.
    There a pure powerhouse of a dog, training starts day 1, and is a life long upkeep.
    collars and leashes, you spend a bit more, cheap flashes stuff they can break like plastic, once they are 18 months look for claps with a 250lb rating or higher.

Never flex or retractable leashes, the internet can show you the horrors that can happen with these and a mastiff breed.
    A simple thing like wrapping a leashes around your fingers could end up with broken fingers. (Wife had 2 broken doing this).

Never tease with food, they can be a lot quite than you would think and your going for stitches, and the poor dog was just trying to get the treat.

Oh and never never stick something in your mouth and lean over, there heads are a lot harder than your nose or teeth. ( Wife is missing 3 teeth from this stunt).

As a rule they do not start fights but they finish them, and sad to say they will get the blame.

If you don't train, train, oh and train, your will end up with a dog you can not control.
    Training them is a labor of love. ( They get bored, to training anything is 5 to 15mins)
    past that they get bored and it is more harm than good.

Get ready for a pup that you should not spay or neuter until 2 years. (I've posted before side by side pics of the same lines where is huge differences.)

They grow extremely fast for the first year so there bones are extremely soft, caution is needed when raising a pup.

Warning is there extremely hard to rehome because it is generally 8 months to a year before they will trust a new owner.

Oh and they can be a extremely stubborn dog.

Now if I have not scared you to much.
    A DDB is a wonderful dog raised right, and will touch your heart in ways that are truly hard to explain, the have facial expressions that will make you cry laughing.

Next part is a copy from another post of mine, and speaks to mastiff breeds in general.

Pro's
    They are most likely the biggest cuddle and Velcro dogs known to man.
    They love there family and are excepting of other animals as long as socialized with them.
    They don't yip yap bark, if they bark you see who is there.
    Soft or hard, no robber want to really find out, if they do and your dog is soft, hey you have to file a claim, if there hard you come home to a person asking for you to call the police to arrest them. (If your there when they try this it may be a new world.)
    Yes they are that powerful and they are that bonded to there families.
    There very relaxed dogs, you need only walk them 30mins in the morning and 30mins in the evening.
    They actually adapt very well to there owner lifestyle.
    Grooming is once a week brushing.
    Bath one every month, (good luck with that as they want to jump in the shower with you all the time.)
    All in all there great dogs. ( I personally will always have one.)
    If you have read my post with Mouse and Trish, my current has done more than I could ever asked of any dog.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    All food for thought Larry.

Fruit. I don't add fruit to their dish, but they do have it as a treat. Generally, mine will eat all the fruit and veg that is not on the forbidden list, - and would eat most of what is on it too, if I let them. I agree about the apple cores @Janet. If the pips fall out I don't give them, but I wouldn't fiddle around removing every one.
    The dogs pick their own alpine strawberries, which are wild in the garden, and Merry shares Tweed's old habit of blackberrying, which makes for very slow Autumn walks. Eddie, on the other hand, will not even eat one berry. I buy a cucumber for adding to the dog pan, (I dice and lightly cook veg to make it more digestible), but in hot weather they love a chunk of it straight from the fridge.
  8. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    hi hun,
    thank you about the veg was not to sure
    breakfast is great just a bone, as I wasn't to sure if a bone would class as a meal lol,
    but yuk to the head and guts of the fish lol she could eat it outside lol,
    lol it sounds like you did go OTT with the vitamins but I understand why you did,
    thank you for you reply hun
  9. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    thank you hun,
    yeah seen that berries are better for them, but don't see the harm in an apple lol cherry`s are not cheap at all lol
    lol so the bird feeds the dogs to lol that's great,
    I was shocked about fruit to be fair thought they would be to acidy
  10. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    lol I try to get my dolly`s food as quietly as I can but she always knows lol
    lol banana`s are okay then
    lol so any fruit goes then really I thought satsumas might be to acidy
  11. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    hi hun well not sure if you have seen my other posts,
    I haven't got a DDB as yet so far I have been researching to see if I can afford to keep one lol, in food that is
    no that the life span is short, I'm looking at feeding at the moment raw or dry, and if raw what and how to do it,
    did not no they were stubborn lol,
    omg broken fingers not good, and teeth holy cow lol not funny sorry
    I have a shih Tzu, would it be to much of a size issue between them would you think lol,
    I shall have to read your posts thank you hun
    all the pros sound good to me,
  12. naomie

naomie New Member

Name:
    naomie
    lol thank you hun, sounds like you have very long and slow walks lol
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    naomie likes this.
    Depending on the bone and the amount of meat on it, yes in my view it counts as a meal, although of course others might disagree.

Regarding vitamins and supplements, not really OTT but Pereg was epileptic and when I changed her from kibble onto raw she needed extra vitamins and supplements because she was on a very high dose of Phenobarbitone. And depending on the results of her 3 monthly blood tests sometimes she was short on some things. So I added certain things and if her next blood test showed whatever she was short on was back to normal, I carried on with what she had been having. Apart from being epi she was very healthy although her medication made her gain weight so I had to keep an eye on the amount she ate, but my Vet was quite happy that she was getting everything she needed.

As for Tikva and whole fish - as she has them frozen it is not yucky - and eat it outside? Not that little booga!

Bananas are fine - but as a treat, although some people use a piece of a banana to put a pill inside. Pereg used to have her pills in a squished piece of a cheese triangle. And Tikki would never turn her nose up a bit of a satsuma - like the bananas they are a treat although given the choice she would pick a banana any day!

All dogs are different and all like different things. Same as humans really. My version of raw is probably very different to others, but it suited Pereg and now Tikva. The only difference is in the amounts, due to the difference in their sizes, plus Tikki does not need two of the supplements Pereg needed to protect her liver from possible damage due to her medication, which is processed through the liver. The other vitamins and supplements? They just make sure that she has everything she needs, and she is a nice strong little girl.