Which breed best for my shih tzu boy Questions

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by PaulainPoole, Sep 11, 2017.

1. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula

Which breed best for my shih tzu boy

Hello. I'm thinking and taking my time to find another dog to join us. It's just me and my husband Nick at home with our 5 year old shih tzu Louie. I have allergys so need a dog that doesn't "shed" as such, as I know all dogs lose there fur/hair but in my case ones that you have to comb the hair to get it out. Hence why we have a shih tzu, well that is one reason . The other was a small dog was only accepted where we lived. Louie also, has his requirements, he doesn't like dogs much bigger than himself, as he becomes defensive if, they are young and boisterous. I'm not sure what he would be like with an older dog though as he seems OK when out on walks... We are home a lot of the time, like walks, we have a quite house as, there is just the two of us & louie makes 3.Any idea on breeds will be appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    In your situation, I would go for a second Shih Tzu. You already know and understand the requirements of the breed and, in my experience, most dogs recognise and are usually willing to accept members of their own breed type. I would also suggest going for a member of the opposite sex.
    It might be worth considering a rescue or rehomed bitch if Louie is not keen on young puppies. The secretary of the National Breed Club, (Google), might prove helpful here, and this would give you the opportunity to meet and probably walk with a prospective newcomer before having to commit yourself.
  5. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you a very helpful informative reply. I was hoping for a different breed as his breed really just like to Sniff every tree and plod along, not really playful which is lovely in its self and wouldn't change him and he was so, so stubborn as a pup and very hard work. We came to a compromise that when I say 'wait' he will stop and do just that, wait but he won't come to you, you have to go to him. So, i was hoping for a breed we could have more outdoor fun with, and probably easier to train. I just don't think Louie has ever been bothered, I think it is because he was born in Portugal and considers himself as, Portuguese and everything is Amanha, tomorrow will do, the forever tomorrow that never comes
    However, I do get the same breed knowing each other... Mmmmm
  6. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Be helpful if owners of any Hypoallergenic dogs could tell me about their dogs. I love the lager breeds and did own standard poodle before Louie. We have had a young standard poodle in our home and Louie didn't cope at all, so we know we couldn't go for a large dog as a puppy. I don't know how he would react with an older large dog.. Perhaps, I need to have one here to see how he would be... Probably just answered myself
    As smaller dogs go, I was thinking about a border terrier but as, with other breeds, you can read different things about them on line. Thanks for the list
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Have you considered a Poodle? I've had both Miniatures and Standards (though never a Toy) and they have all been very lively and easy to train.
  8. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
  9. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    I wasn't sure about the miniature as I was told they barked a lot?
    I like the thought they are easy to train and playful.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not think you can lump all dogs of one breed into the same category as I am sure that not all miniature Poodles will bark a lot.

Like all other breeds, some dogs bark a lot and some dogs are very quiet.

I have never owned a Poodle so I would not know about them but I have had many Griffons and no one was the same as his/her sibling/parent. Some barked, some did not. They were all individuals and all had their own characteristics.

But I notice that Griffs are #4 on the list that @Innocence gave you and from what I can remember neither my roughs or smooths shedded much, although like Border Terriers and some other breeds. the rought did need hand stripping. My current little dog does not shed either, but whether Griffons or she are non-allergenic I really could not say.
  11. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Janet I love your profile picture of your parti poodle. Do you groom him/her yourself?
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    That picture was taken just after his first 'grown up' clip. He had a Miami clip, with pom poms on the legs - we did that so that he could, just once, look like a Poodle! Since then, we have kept him in a Sporting clip, which is basically everything off! Short all over, including ears. As he loves going into the canal and river, this seems a sensible choice! Only problem is of course that with this short hair cut and the fact that he is a parti colour, few people actually believe that he is a Poodle!

When I had Miniatures I did clip them myself (I went on a course and learned enough to do a reasonable job on my own dogs, but I'm certainly not skilled enough to do it professionally). But now I let a local groomer do Pepe - she also clips horses, so is able to cope with an extremely bouncy Standard Poodle!

With regard to Miniature being noisy, I don't know really. There was always someone at home when I had mine so they were never left alone, and although they must have barked when they were excited about something, I can't remember them being any noisier than any other dogs I've had. The quietest dog I've ever had was my Lurcher, the most vocal is my Chihuahua.
  13. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    CaroleC likes this.
    I'M home a lot too and to be honest our shih tzu Louie will bark but seeing as we are here we can shhhhh him. I remember we set up a video once to catch some footage of him and we had another dog staying with us, to see what they get up to and it was the most boring clip we had.. Nothing they did nothing.. Ha, ha which we were really pleased about and we never get any complaints when do have to leave him home alone. I too learnt to. Clip Louie. Myself, like you I'm not professional but he looks OK. I would love a standard poodle again but may have to wait if we decide to go down that route until we test Louie out with an older dog and if, he is OK then we may look I to looking for an adult not a puppy.
    That or look into miniature poodle. I have been tempted by border terrier or Caine terrier but not sure about the "terrier" side. I did own a jack Russel but he became very aggressive with my son and bit him twice, once we forgave but the second time we just couldn't have him doing this and my son would only have to pass by me or come over to me. He was fine as a puppy but became very territorial of me, in the end my brother took him as he doesn't have children. Of course now all my children are grown up and it's just me and my husband and Louie. In the future we may be moving to be nearer to my grandchildren so, easy going dogs I need. Lovely talking with you Janet
  14. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I met a couple of Coton de Tulears recently, a breed which might be worth considering. The owners had them clipped short. They were delightful little dogs.
  15. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Hello,
    What about West Highland Terriers? They are lovely and don't moult a lot? I got some pictures of the internet.
    Jane
    xx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Awww my friend had a westie , he had a lot of skin problems which has out me off the breed. Then I met anotherady with two westie and they too had issues... So not too sure about them. I sound really fussy don't I..
  17. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Keep looking at your profile picture and getting tempted for a miniature poodle. Are the Miniatures like the standards as they are lime velcro and love flowing you around which I didn't mk down with our standard, he use to make laugh and I enjoyed his company. I must admit I am seeing they are expensive to buy, and the cross breed ones are even more expensive. When we lived in Portugal we bought touie for 150euros and our standard was £200 or around that figure as, he was a year old. So a shock to see how much all the breeds are.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not fussy at all. You do not want to get a dog, puppy or older, that might possibly give you problems, especially if you already have allergies.

If you are able to I can only suggest that you take your time before settling on a particular breed - bearing in mind that Louie's reactions to another dog living in your home must be the first thing you take into consideration.
  19. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    CaroleC likes this.
    Have you considered a Bichon Frise?
  20. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    I do t think I would go for a Bichon Frise, but thank you for the suggestion.
  21. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    I see so many predictive text on here. I really should check before I send.. Sorry folks hope you can work it out.