Poodle owners General Chat

Discussion in 'Poodle (Miniature)' started by PaulainPoole, Sep 16, 2017.

1. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula

Poodle owners

Hello,

I think I've decided on a toy or miniature poodle as our second dog. We use to own a standard and now own a shih tzu called Louie. Louie doesn't like bigger dogs, so another standard is out of the question.
    We were at the beach today and I met two poodles and chatted with the owners, such a lovely time out and poodles do steel my heart.
    So now I've decided I'll be looking out for puppies. I did find the cost rather a lot and have never paid out so much . Our poodle was a rehome and paid £200 and Louie our shih tzu is from Portugal and we paid 150 euros. So a shock to find out how much poodles are going for... Arrrrah!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I can remember being somewhat taken aback at the price of Poodles when I decided to get Pepe! It had been a very long time since I had actually paid for a dog - the four dogs I had before him were all free!

There are always Poodles in need of rehoming - e.g. www.poodlesinneed.com but I don't know what they charge, and of course if you are set on a puppy I doubt if they can help.

Do you have a colour preference?
  4. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Hi Janet.

Choice I would love your dog I love the parti poodle but I think a black poodle we would prefer. We seen a gorgeous toy black poodle, he was just so pleasant and fun to watch running around on the beach. I love how they hold themselves especially when they go into trot mode, so proud of themselves, you would think I was talking about a horse. and Louie was happy to play around with him, so size matters to Louie.

I'll look at the Web site you have added thanks
  5. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Now I need to find Poodles in Dorset or around... I see a lot of cockapoos etc but not Poodles mmmm it seems uses I a prepared to travel some distance Dorset isn't a pure poodle area. I have e seen so many poodle crosses though.
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I had exactly the same problem when I was looking for a Poodle. Every cross imaginable - Bedlipoos, Poogles etc etc - even a Newfoundland cross, I can't remember what they called that. Numerous Poodles at stud, but very few puppies for sale. Can't understand it.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not very keen on deliberate crosses to get so-called 'Designer dogs' especially with designer names. Tikva is a cross between a Dachshund [dam] and Minpin [sire] but it was an accidental mating and she was given to me as an unwanted, and far too young, puppy. She is not a 'designer dog' nor does she have a fancy designer name. She is just a cross breed.

My previous two were mutts of unknown origin and it is a very long time since I had, and bred, pure breed dogs and I had a wonderful mentor who taught me all about the breed.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  9. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Thank you for the links Gsdslave.
    I wouldn't really want to rehome me a dog that has issues, only because we have Louie and I think he needs a well adjusted bitch or a puppy for us to train . Louie needs to be the boss in the dog pack I think and does enjoy a good run around with dog pals.
    I will check the links out though as they do say, they pair you up with dogs that are best suited... Just thinking I may have a list of all my requirements and they may say no to us...

I just clicked on the first link.. Oh my word I didn't expect to see all those poodles caged up in that ladies house... Words fail me I'm just going to have a good read.
  10. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    Malka likes this.
    I'm not sure how I feel. About mixed breeds, what I don't like is that they are being named as 'breeds' and not named as x cross x, plus the are being sold the same if not more than a pure breed. I can see how, say, cockapoo may compliment each other but some like the shih poo I wouldn't put together as, shih tzu are not that bright compared to a Poodle and I wonder if it would have cause problems. The Poodle. Crosses were first breed by a guy called Wally Conon, he did it to find a guide dog for people who were not just blind but had allergies, he is 81 now and regrets doing so.

https://www.globalanimal.org/2010/12/02/man-who-created-labradoodles-regrets-the-cross-breed/
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017