Two Sires ! General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by GsdSlave, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Was Pedigree Chum the one that was sold as the first "complete food kibble"? I remember seeing it for the first time when I went with my mentor to Crufts.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Do you mean you don’t agree with it, rather than understanding it. It’s really quiet simple, he has a bitch that has spent 6 yrs in the ring, he has retired her and now wants her to have pups, he has limited time to do this , and because it’s possible to use 2 sires and maybe get 2 pups from different sire, which doubles his chance for future generations on his breeding plans.

It’s nothing to do with rare breeds or lack of good breeding dogs. But all to do with timescale, he’s basically run out of time.

Whether it’s morally right , wrong. or sits well with you , me or anyone, he has done nothing wrong as far as it’s all within KC rules.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    They do a cheap supermarket complete, but in those days it was Chum Mixer and Pedigree tinned meat. Cheap and cheerful, but there are so many better quality foods available these days - at a different price level of course.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sorry - made a mess of a reply. @Jackie power keeps going off so I am sorry I do not know what I meant to post.

But out or time or not, why put a 6 year old maiden bitch through a pregnancy and birth when you have impregnated her with the sperm of two male dogs?

7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    For the obvious reason to get pups from her .
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And money from the puppies. Why else?
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I think that is a bit harsh. Rumor is not just any GSD bitch being bred for a quick buck. She is a bitch with an outstanding show record, whose career expenses must have cost thousands of dollars. While a male could offset his show expenses with stud work, I doubt that a show bitch could ever do much more than break even. I would also be surprised if they didn't run on two or three puppies for evaluation.
    I think Rumor deserves the opportunity to contribute to the future of her breed. By having dual insemination, she has actually been saved the stress of having two pregnancies, though she can only produce a single sized litter, no matter how many sires are used.
    Though I agree that six years is very late for a maiden litter, I have a doggy friend who had a second marriage, and was 42 when she became pregnant. She had an uneventful pregnancy and swears that she had a short and painless labour. Just like laying an egg, she said. I was 27, and it took me twelve hours to get rid of my 4lb12oz offering!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry Carole - I am just a bit touchy at the moment due to lack of sleep so I probably did not think things through enough before responding. But I still think duel insemination in a six-year-old maiden bitch in the hope of producing one or more top show quality puppies just does not seem right.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    Just my own personal opinion, but my view is that we mess about too much with nature and always pay the consequences somewhere down the line.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think you are being very unfair here , not sure why you are so negative.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have already apologised for possibly appearing being unfair and negative. Please accept that.

But something about the situation still does not feel good to me.

My opinion is just mine. It does not mean that whatever is done is not the perfect thing in the situation for those who did it - it is just my gut feeling that somehow I do not feel comfortable.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    Whatever the reasons the bitch and puppies seem fine which is the more important.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Of course it is. Healthy and happy is the most important thing.