The First Year Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by ewal26, Jan 5, 2018.

1. ewal26

ewal26 New Member

Name:
    EW

The First Year

Hi, I am a newbie Miniature Schnauzer mummy and love my 20 week old puppy to bits. He is such a character, with bursts of energy. I just have a few questions about the first year with them and what to expect...
    At what age do they start maturing/calming down?
    What behaviours do they outgrow?
    Will barking at other dogs always been an issue?
    I’d really appreciate hearing about your experiences and any advice you may have. Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hello EW, welcome to the forum.
    I don't want to sound glib, but a lot depends on how much training you are prepared to do with him. At 20 weeks he is old enough for puppy classes, and will soon be able to learn some basic manners, and not to bark at his classmates
  4. ewal26

ewal26 New Member

Name:
    EW
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes, he’s just started puppy classes. He had his first one this week...he barked a lot and I tried everything to occupy him with toys and very yummy treats, etc. He’s just more interested in the other dogs and the barking is more ‘I want to say hello and play’ rather than anything aggressive. He’s the same on walks too. I suppose it’s early days though?! Fingers crossed
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC likes this.
    You & I have totally different breeds, really opposite ens of the scale, but, I’m guessing all puppies are puppies with similar traits. Once they begin to mature the “ breed “ traits are what you work with rather than push against, if that makes sense
    All puppies are inquisitive, nervous, mischievous, full of energy and at times somewhat annoying
    Enjoy this time ( even though you want it to pass ) it won’t last long, even though you think it’s going on forever !
    Our pup is just 1 year old, he used to bark at everyone and every dog he saw, he still barks at some, but only a fraction of what he used to do
    I don’t know, but, I think they are just trying to say “ I’m here! Look at me ! Pups don’t know whether to be friendly or how they are going to be treat by others. I’m sure for a puppy it’s a really insecure time and it’s your job to fill him with confidence and good manners
    Don’t stress, they grow up really quickly
    It won’t be long before you are looking back on photos wishing you could have that time back.....enjoy
    Oh, speaking of photos....come on let’s see
    Philippa
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    If you are happy and comfortable with your trainer, hold back at the end of the next session (or telephone him/her) to explain your concerns. Snauzers do tend to be a yappy breed, but that's not to say you can't control it with a little bit of guidance. The best person to guide you both is the trainer on the spot who, if they are good, will give you the pointers you need to help
  7. ewal26

ewal26 New Member

Name:
    EW
    Brilliant, thank you for all your replies. I will speak to the trainer next week for tips. I need to remind myself of all the things he’s good at and has improved upon since Day 1. He’s such a pleaser and is always ready to learn new tricks. I’m sure I worry too much with his barking.
    Will try uploading a pic for you :)
  8. Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan New Member

Name:
    Karen
    CaroleC likes this.
    I am new here, but have had miniature schnauzers since 1973. My first schnauzer was the most dominant, most intelligent dog I have known.

When I signed us up for obedience classes, Greta spent our first seven weeks doing nothing but barking at the other dogs when we were in class. Our last class was a "test" where an instructor ran us individually through the "test" like it was an obedience trial. Greta and I got a 98 out of a possible 100 score. With time and a lot more training, Greta went on to achieve her Companion Dog and Companion Dog Excellent titles.

Don't give up..... just keep working with your dog on a regular basis.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Good post Karen. Just wanted to add a rider to your personal link.
    Debarking has been illegal here in the UK for many years, I'm afraid I couldn't trace the year of the ban, - possibly 1992, but I think it was declared unethical by the RCVS before that date. I have only seen the devocalisation operation performed once. That was in the late 50's, and the vet I worked for was very reluctant to perform the op. even at that time. Debarking dogs does not stop them from barking, but it reduces the volume to an uncomfortable rasping sound.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I never did understand why vets would perform a procedure for the sake of human convenience and not for any direct health benefit to the dog.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Is that not similar to de-clawing a cat? Just for the sake of human convenience?

Am I glad that except in certain circumstances, for working dogs, tail docking is now forbidden.

And do not get me started on ear cropping...
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree. The dog in the case I mentioned was a larger Spitz breed, and was one of the most influential stud dogs of his generation. Although the breeder lived a fairly remote location, the dog generated so much kennel noise, that she was faced with legal action. I think I would have found another way of dealing with the problem.
  13. Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan New Member

Name:
    Karen
    While I do crate some of my younger dogs at night or when we are gone for several hours and no people are home, all of them are house dogs here and are not in kennels. I sleep with some of the dogs in my bedroom at night, and my daughter sleeps with some in her room, too.

Now, as to barking, if one lives in a populated area and he has a dog that is a bad barker, it will irritate most neighbors, and the city might get involved as most have dog number limits and noise limits. If the city gets involved, there can be fines, etc. and one might be forced to get rid of the dog(s).

While I have never had any dogs debarked, I have heard some bark, and it was not a raspy sound, but more of a whispery, soft bark.