Losing weight Health

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Malka, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Losing weight

Tikva was weighed by Ram on 26 December, same scales on the same floor tile, and she had lost 500g - which I since realised was because she was wearing a much lighter-weight chest harness than she had been wearing before. So 6kg down from 6.5kg was OK.

But this morning she looked so skinny so I weighed her again - with difficulty - and since 26 December, wearing the same lightweight harness, she is down to 5.8 kilos. Maybe 200g does not sound much, but when I see too many ribs showing and can feel her spine, I worry.

I spoke with Ram and he said that maybe she needs more food now it is winter, but honestly it is not that cold. And as long as she is as active as ever and never asks for more food [Tikva would eat 'till the cows came home if she had the chance] not to give her more food and to weigh her again in two weeks.

She just looks so thin.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Chris B like this.
    I have the opposite problem with the Beagles, who tend to put on weight by just looking at food, - probably because I'm not fit enough to give them as much work as I used to be able to. I have always fed my dogs according to their appearance rather than their weight, so if I did have a skinny kipper, I would gradually increase her ration until she was well covered but still had a shapely waist, and then level off at that.
    I hesitate to say this as I know you are such a dedicated raw feeder, but if appetite and digestive system would allow, a handful of dog biscuits would provide some more calories, which should give a weight boost.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikki was always rather skinny but this morning she looked not just skinny but thin. And if you think it is easy to weigh her you have another think coming. But 200g loss since 26 December can not be right so I called Ram.

I do not want her to get fat. And I know she is having more than enough calories and supplements - I do know what I an doing with her food and supplements. Trust me Carole, I know she has enough. She never asks for more food - is happy what she has [and gobbles it down quick enough] - is enough.

I have special dog treats - cannot think of the word, not biscuits but special stuff, for occasional treats. But she rarely gets them. Things I buy from iHerb because I know exactly what they contain, and if I will not eat things, neither will Tikki. I do not eat biscuits so neither does she.

She is as lunatic as ever, rushes around and then zonks.

But she is looking very skinny and I think I am a bit worried.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I'd try upping her food a little. The worst that can happen is that you have to cut it back again once her weight returns to what you consider good for her
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have just been checking her card again. Only twice was Tikva ever weighed at the surgery and that was when she weighed 6kg here - Michal took us to the surgery for her to be spayed and she was exactly 6kg at the surgery. Six months old. Too young I thought but still. And she was a good size. Always looked skinny though.

And she was 6kg when I had to take her to the surgery when she had the horrid allergic reaction to something.

Do not forget that Ram has to weigh her every three months so he knows how much to draw for her Parkworm shot. Same scales, same tile, that Michal used to weigh Tikki on when she [Tikki, not Michal] was too big to sit in a bowl on my electronic kitchen scales. So I have records of her weight since she came to me at much too young.

She is as active as ever, and is not asking for more food. If she did then of course I would give her, and yes of course I do know what supplements she needs, being raw fed,

200g loss might not sound much but in a few weeks? It is worrying me a bit.
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    That dog has always been too thin. And losing weight when there's no probable reason means something isn't right. Maybe you should order some blood tests or thyroid tests or something of that nature. Even as a fat tub of lard, if Nigredo began losing random weight, I'd be very worried. Raw feeding definitely can be done wrong. Maybe you DON'T have her supplements and stuff right and its catching up to her as she gets older.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    200 grams is not even a cup of sugar [US measurement] and yes Tikva has always been thin. She is not too thin, she is just thin. And I would rather her be too thin than be too fat.

She has had two full blood tests, once as a base when she was 6 months old, and another since then. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with her B"H - she is just a very active little girl who is a very happy little girl.

As for raw feeding - I really do know what I am doing and have been raw feeding since ~mid 2011, but thank you for your concern.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Fair enough. Both of your two previous dogs (Ziva not included) died young. Around 6 years or younger. With that said, I was just throwing out the possibility that maybe all is not well with your regimen. My last dog was thin all his life, but when he began to actually LOSE weight for no apparent reason, cancer had begun killing him and he was nearly 16 years old.

It's as you said, unexplained weight loss, even in people, is worrying. But if you aren't worried, then I'm not worried. Good luck. Hopefully all is well.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Myra - Lexi died in her sleep when she was maybe 12 years old. She had never been ill in her life - a little unwanted mutt who had been with me since she was maybe 6 weeks old. She did not die young - she just went to sleep cuddled up to me - woke me to say goodbye as I watched the light go out of her beautiful eyes. And she was not raw fed.

Pereg did not die young. Yes she was young but my wonderful vet came here at maybe 1am to give her peace. She had major epilepsy and we gave her peace. She did not die young. She needed the peace that Ram gave her. Six years and three months old and being major epileptic for four of those years? She had had enough so we gave her peace, and I do not consider that as her having died young.

Yes she was young but she so desperately needed the peace that Ram was able to give her, and do you not think that I hate that time when I called him, at stupid o'clock, to say Ram, it is time, please come now.

So no. You can not say both my previous dogs died young. Lexi was not raw fed, she ate kibble. Good quality kibble but she was not young when she died and it is not fair to say she died young. At 12 years old?

Pereg was fed on kibble and only changed to raw feeding when I learned about it. It is possible that raw feeding helped her but epilepsy was going to kill her whatever Ram and I did. Tikki has been raw red since she was weaned. There is no way I will ever put food in her mouth that I would not put in mine, accepted that I cook my food and both Pereg and Tikki had/have theirs raw.
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I recall a thread where you said that dog wasn't sick or old and you just found her dead. Anyway nevermind. Feed your dog whatever you like. And yes you put food in her mouth that you don't eat because you said she has special dog treats which she gets sometimes. Also she's a dog so all sorts of things go in her mouth that don't go in yours but again, if you're not worried then I am not. My dog has his own issues I can worry about. Have a nice day.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I did not wake up to find Lexi dead. I woke in the night because somehow she woke me - and I switched on a torch and saw the the light go out of her beautiful eyes. She woke me to say goodbye. She was cuddled up to me on my bed.

I never ever said that I just "found her dead".
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikki has lost another 200mg which Ram is not bothered about although I am. As he said she was always a skinny one, but as soon as I feel better I will somehow get her to the surgery for another full blood test.

I think that many people who do not understand raw feeding tend to think the dog is far too thin and I know that Tikva does look thin, but she is happy and rushes about like a loony - but yes, she does look thin so hopefully I will be able to get her to the surgery as soon as possible for yet another positive test.

How many humans are not only overweight but obese? Trouble versions of Maccy C chips anyone>

What with that, two black eyes, and I am beginning to wonder if I am doing something wrong, but failings not my fault, my choice in raw feeding is my choice, so I wish those "O I would never each salad or vegetables or even fruit, would just shut up.:

And if I chose to eat them myself AND also feed them to my very healthy dog, then that is my choice. But I do not remember when, if ever, I last ate a MrD.

So why should I not feed my dog raw if is suits her?
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    OK a question for those who think Tikva is too thin. I am approximately 5' 2" tall and weigh approx 125 lb. Am I too thin? Too fat? If someone can answer that then perhaps they can tell me that Tikki is too thin.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris B likes this.
    Remember, we haven't actually seen Tikva, apart from an occasional snapshot.
    It is what Ram and yourself are able to see and feel that is the most important.
    I would decide by touch and appearance rather than what the scales say.
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Not sure where you get the idea other members are thinking she is to thin.
    You are the one who keeps saying she has lost weight and is to thin.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know @CaroleC - but apart from the two occasions at the surgery, when Tikva weighed exactly the same as she had here, she has been weighed here on the same electronic scales, on the same floor tile in my ensuite. Every three months since Parkworm decided to travel to this area during 2015. Prior to that she could still be weighed but it was not that vital.

And yes, she has always been thin, but she just looks thinner although feels as solid as ever. Which is why I got someone to help me weigh her because I cannot lift her, and she needs someone to weigh themselves holding Tikki, put her down, and do the maths as to how much Tikki weighs.

Ram is due here again on 26 March so we will get an accurate weight according to my scales, although if I am well enough and I can arrange things with my driver, I will take Tikki to the surgery before then. At the moment though it will have to wait.

@GsdSlave - being told that the reason that Tikki is thin is because I do not know what I am doing because I am a raw feeder, when I do know what I am doing, and I do know the correct vitamins and supplement necessary is apparently the reason that Tikki is thin. And I am sure I am not the only raw feeder on the forum.

Most raw feeders prefer their dogs to be on the slim side - it is just that because Tikva is a short-coated slim dog to start with, the slightest weight loss is far more noticeable than it would be of a large dog.
  18. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Why even bother posting that the dog is losing weight if you're not worried about it and don't want comments saying something may not be right? Why try and bait me by bringing back up comments from almost a month ago? Really annoying. I mean really, really annoying. I had let the issue go and resolved that she's your dog and its all good.

Why act high and mighty as if you couldn't possibly be doing something wrong? Why even "update" this post with that? I wasn't going to say anything else on this thread at all, but you brought it back up so now I will.

And also I didn't say you didn't know what you were doing, I merely implied that MAYBE there's a dietary issue. I never insisted that I was correct. You just take everything the wrong way and get up in arms at the idea of you not being perfect. Get over it. Nobody is perfect and its possible you could have made a mistake. Not saying you did, just saying it's possible.

And how is YOUR height/weight relevant to the dogs? Nobody even knew or cared about the dogs weight until you posted here. You seemed to be concerned, but when people offered up their ideas, you got defensive. So why post?

You don't even post photos of the dog, you just post threads as basically click bait and attention seeking, which clearly has worked. I hope the skinny dog is okay and is being fed enough and the right foods. Only you and your vet can determine that and so I'm off this pointless thread now.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @mjfromga

I do not have a smart phone so do not take a lot of photographs as my camera is not so easy to set up, which is why I do not post many photographs of "the dog", as you called her.

[​IMG]

This one even says her name, TIKVA on her collar, although she only wears that collar now, and a much lighter weight harness.

[​IMG]

Any more photographs that I have not posted that you would like to see?
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Incidentally, would you please explain what "click bait" means? :)