ZINA our darling canine velociraptor growls and goes for my daughter's shoes Behaviour

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Boyad, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Boyad

Boyad New Member

Name:
    Bob

ZINA our darling canine velociraptor growls and goes for my daughter's shoes

Live and learn, they say... I need to learn a lot. My daughter Betty was with me when we adopted Zina. Today Betty had lunch with us. Zina pounces on her shoes and growls. She's done that before, but now comes the interesting bit; she jumps on the couch, allows Betty to fuss over her, pet her, generally cajoles her while growling... Any ideas? Thank you for your help. o_O
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Boyad likes this.
    Hello Bob - there are growls and then there are growls, and Zina is expressing herself by the sound you call growling. Zina is actually talking and for some dogs it is with a growl but the growl is not necessarily a warning "go away" sound. I know that Zina has not been with you for long so you have yet to learn what each of her different growl sound means.

A lot of times what you hear as growling is the noise some dogs make when they are playing. If you could hear Tikva when she plays with me [my knuckles are made for attacking according to her but only in a playful, not hurtful way] or when she plays with her toys, throwing them about, if you did not know you would think she was seriously attacking me or her toys.

She is not. That is her "play" growl and I can tell the difference between that and a warning growl. Tikva is very vocal when playing although not noisily, and also "talks" to me when I talk to her, so possibly Zina is also being vocal - if she growls while she is letting Betty to pet her, to me that just sounds like vocalisation and not a warning "get away". If it was the latter the growl would probably be followed by a snap and/or bite.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    A little more about dogs "talking". Because they cannot vocalise in English, or whatever our language is, they vocalise in the only way they can, and you have to learn what they mean by whatever sound they make. It is the same with body language, both for humans and canines - and probably other animals. especially mammals.

Pereg, my previous dog [the one in my avatar] used to carry on long "conversations" with Effi, my computer guy, whenever he was here to do something to my PC, although mostly he said "really?" or "tell me more about it" - that sort of thing, and she would "talk" back to him as if she was answering.

And Tikva definitely has different sounds - growls and other vocalisations, because dogs. In their language. And it is up to their humans to learn to understand what they mean.
  5. Boyad

Boyad New Member

Name:
    Bob
    Hello Malka,
    How are you today? and how is Tikva? Thank you fot the information, I will put it to good use. Last night, we had a [Training Session] Thunderstorm ! We were able to be first hand witnesses to the fact that Zina did not appreciate this perfectly natural meteorological phenomenon... barking, running around for one hour solid. . Fortunately, we are used to it; our Berrie suffered from the same thing. Unfortunately, we had no advance notice. Another thing if, I may,
    how to you feed Tikva ? Thank you.
    Shalom,
    Bob
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Boyad likes this.
    OK, starting with food - Tikki is raw fed, not bought in frozen raw food as I buy fresh in bulk and freeze. I changed my beloved Pereg onto raw I think July or August 2011 although it did take a while until I worked out what was needed and what supplements/vitamins were needed. Special extras needed for Pereg as the medication she had to have for her epilepsy, being processed through the liver, needed things that Tikva does not. But I still give her extra vitamins and supplements to make sure her diet gives her everything she needs. And she has thrived on it since I stopped bottle feeding and then weaned her.

Now onto noise. Lexi, the little mutt I had before Pereg - who I adopted when I knew Lexi was getting older, definitely did not like thunder or any bang bangs, boom booms, fireworks, although the only fireworks are after weddings and we only have one wedding hall within hearing distance - and would hide between my chair and the bookshelves. The worst thing was the festival of Purim before the cap gun thingies were supposedly banned, Pereg? Whenever the incoming sirens wailed she would shoot outside as if to argue with them. Never seemed to be scared though.

Tikva? Nothing seems to faze that little booga and she really is a little booga. A mind of her own but we understand each other - and that is the important thing.

Yes, she reacts to sudden noises but they do not seem to bother her. It is like "yes, I hear that but... who cares "

Bob - listen to Zina - watch her body language/reactions - and learn to understand what she is saying. Because her growling vocalisation is just one way of her telling you something.
  7. Boyad

Boyad New Member

Name:
    Bob
    Malka, I really must apologise for my late reply to your kind and informative message. I am a somewhat active member of two dog forums, I was convinced you were on the other one :oops: Although I am retired after spending twenty years of my life with DHL, I am still involved in condominium management. Thanks to your message, Karen and I decided to feed Zina your way! I wasn't at all happy with the first vet we visited so, on Tuesday next, a highly praised lady vet is coming to see Zina. I only hope she does go for her shoes like she does with most visitors. :( Fireworks? I don't know about Zina yet , but it used to drive Berrie berserk. Apart from New Year's eve and Independence day, the two official celebrations in Belgium, fireworks are 'strictly' forbidden... yes, well so are loads of other things. I will , of course, let you know how things turn out. Thank you again for you kindness.
    All the best,
    Bob

[ QUOTE="Malka, post: 217329, member: 23671"]OK, starting with food - Tikki is raw fed, not bought in frozen raw food as I buy fresh in bulk and freeze. I changed my beloved Pereg onto raw I think July or August 2011 although it did take a while until I worked out what was needed and what supplements/vitamins were needed. Special extras needed for Pereg as the medication she had to have for her epilepsy, being processed through the liver, needed things that Tikva does not. But I still give her extra vitamins and supplements to make sure her diet gives her everything she needs. And she has thrived on it since I stopped bottle feeding and then weaned her.

Now onto noise. Lexi, the little mutt I had before Pereg - who I adopted when I knew Lexi was getting older, definitely did not like thunder or any bang bangs, boom booms, fireworks, although the only fireworks are after weddings and we only have one wedding hall within hearing distance - and would hide between my chair and the bookshelves. The worst thing was the festival of Purim before the cap gun thingies were supposedly banned, Pereg? Whenever the incoming sirens wailed she would shoot outside as if to argue with them. Never seemed to be scared though.

Tikva? Nothing seems to faze that little booga and she really is a little booga. A mind of her own but we understand each other - and that is the important thing.

Yes, she reacts to sudden noises but they do not seem to bother her. It is like "yes, I hear that but... who cares "

Bob - listen to Zina - watch her body language/reactions - and learn to understand what she is saying. Because her growling vocalisation is just one way of her telling you something.[/QUOTE]
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Boyad likes this.
    @Boyad - hello Bob - how is Zina doing? Are you beginning to understand her canine vocalisations and body language yet?

There are vets and there are vets and it took me a long time to get Ram, my wonderful vet, to understand that I do know what I am doing with raw feeding and what supplements are needed. Most vets have no idea. It would be a lot easier to just put a cupful of kibble in her bowl but [sorry, now I have language problems and frequently forget my English] I am a raw feeder. But he how accepts that I do - and no way could I change. Pereg loved her raw food and so does Tikva.

Pereg had to have full blood work ups every three months because of her medication and needed more supplements than Tikki does, same extra vitamins and some supplements though - Ram comes here every three months for Tikki's Parkworm shot as she has to be weighed so he knows how much to draw - and he carries her through my bungalow to my ensuite to weigh her. Actually he weighs him carrying her, puts he down, does the maths... and all the time he is feeling her - she is a skinny minny. But she is fine B"H and he thinks she is healthier than were she fatter. I have just checked her card and she was 5.7 kilos on 28 March - she will be 3 years old on 15 May. Been with me much too young since just 3 weeks old and had to be bottle fed.

Enough about Tikva - I understand her growls - and her eeps - and she understands my body language.

Watch Zina and you will understand what she tells you.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Bob - are you understanding Zina better now? I know you are now asking about spaying her on another thread, but only a vet can really say what is the best thing at her age, with the possible risks of a general anaeshetic and surgery. I do not know her background so do not think I can give an opinion that so have not responded there.