1 Year Old Bichon Sitting like a frog General Chat

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by Anne822, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Anne822

Anne822 New Member

Name:
    Anne

1 Year Old Bichon Sitting like a frog

I just adopted a 1 year old Bichon that sits with his back legs like a frog. Is this normal for his age. I am worried that I adopted a dob that might have hip or back issues. Anyone else have this with a Bichon that they adopted at this age or younger.

Anne
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I find this hard to picture. Could you supply a photo?
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I think this is what she means
    I’ve had Gsd youngsters sit splayed legged and they grew out of it some quicker than others.
    You can teach/encourage them to sit properly by using a titbit, hold it above his head and when he follows give sit command as he stretches upward it should bring his legs in to sit properly.
    If you are really worried best to see your vet.

Attached Files:

5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave, Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Some dogs never do seem to grow out of the puppy sit. It's not usually a cause for concern
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    @GsdSlave I have seen Merry sitting like that - and also sometimes in a sloppy sit with both of her hind legs pointing in the same direction. I put it down to a) having a relatively long hind leg, and b) spending six years in a show kennel where a deliberate sit is not taught.
    Whatever the reason, she is nine next week, and fit as a flea, so I don't think I would worry about it.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Years ago it used to be called the puppy sit, but lots of adults do it also, then for some reason it was thought that it was a sign of HD, same as dogs who lie on their belly with back legs sprawled out. I had a Gsd who used to lie like that and was forever being told he had HD, had his hips done and he was fine.

It's only an issue if you're competing in obedience or another sport that requires straight sits, and then you'd need to teach a sit straight.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Strange you should mention obedience. She will usually sit straight in heelwork, and hops smartly into a normal sit for her DC positions. In a sit stay, she will usually loll to one side. Untidy madam, like her Mum!
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Bit like us really. We all know the correct posture, but often opt for the more lax position :)
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I think most dogs when alert sit normal, I found once you start training, moving from one position to another they usually start to naturally move towards a correct sit, as they are getting ready for the next move.
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Nigredo has always sat poorly. He does have bad hips though and was born with them. These days he sits with a leg totally folded under and leans on something if possible. He has a very long back for his height, which makes sitting sort of awkward for him much like a wiener dog.