Nipping and jumping Questions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by coecoe, Jul 9, 2018.

1. coecoe

coecoe New Member

Name:
    Amy

Nipping and jumping

Hi, was wondering if anyone here has some tips to help me and my 12week RR. He’s amazing and so loving and understandably at his age just wants to play especially with my children 3 and 8. The children love him to bits, I just need some tips to help with the nipping and jumping at them as you are all well aware their teeth are like needles at this age
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Hi
    I have spent a lot of time on this site because there are some really knowledgeable people who are will to give up their time and give great advice
    I can’t tell you the amount of times I have seen this question come up
    So, firstly, your are not on your own, I know it’s really frustrating, but, it’s natural.
    I have been in your situation, but, with you circumstances I can imagine it’s worse for you with such young children. I’m guessing when they are being jumped on and nipped they squeal with a high pitch and jump around, quite natural for little ones too
    When ours started his nipping frenzie we used to tell him” get a toy, get a toy “ and we would pop gently a soft toy in his mouth. Trust me in time it will work, now our dog is 18 months old and whenever he greets us, he first runs to his toys, picks up a soft one and we can fuss his without being “ mouthed “
    Sorry to all who have seen this picture of Yoji time and time again, but it shows it can work - one of my bits of training I’m actually quite proud of. As you can see Amy, Yoji is a big boy and we really had to get the nipping under control. This is him saying good morning to my sister 359C6654-496C-4B7C-A4F1-CA80A3237F8B.jpeg
    One other thing, which will probably really hard to do is to encourage your children to be quieter and not bounce about or wave their hands about, your pup,will think it’s just a really fun game
    Good luck and let me know how you get on
    Carry on asking questions, I did and the advice given is great
    Philippa
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @My bear Yoji has already given you some good advice and although I do not have any small children I do know that if they they squeal with a high pitch and jump around, a young puppy will think they are playing. Raising arms is, to a pup, a signal to jump up, thinking that is what the raised arms are for - things to jump at.

You need to teach your children that your puppy, as loving as he is, is only a baby and has yet to learn so many things, before he gets bigger and might hurt them during what he thinks is play.

Regarding nipping, some people advise an "ouch" noise, to let the pup know that it hurt. My advise would be to tell your children not to pull away when the puppy bites, as he will think that is a "tuggy" sort of game, and that could hurt them more.

There are many far more knowledgeable people on Breedia who will be able to give you better advice than I, and hopefully one will see your post.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It is important you teach both the pups and the kids how to interact with one another, nothing like running screaming kid/s to evoke prey drive.
    I explained to my son to try and act calmly around puppies, never to play chase games with them or get excited waving arms, screaming ect: around them, if the pup did get excited just to stand still and keep hands out of their way, if either got over excited, puppy would be removed till calmed down.

As regards biting I think the goal is not so much to stop them from biting, but to teach them bite inhibition/ bite control, from a very young age I taught puppies the word ‘gentle.
    http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php
    http://www.crickethollowfarm.com/biteinhib.htm
    Whatever method you choose, the more consistent you are the faster they will learn,
  6. coecoe

coecoe New Member

Name:
    Amy
    Thank you for your reply, we also do give him a toy when nippy or trying to chew my sons toys this is something we will definitely continue with as he does seem to respond to it well.
  7. coecoe

coecoe New Member

Name:
    Amy
    Yes my 3 year old definitely screams when archer gets to fussy with him.
    We did try the “ouch” that hasnt seemed to work as yet . Thank you for your reply and info
  8. coecoe

coecoe New Member

Name:
    Amy
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you for your reply,
    I may try the “gently” approach apposed to “no biting” approach.
    We are trying to encourage more calmness around the house especially when the dogs exciteable.