Akita inu allergies Discussions

Discussion in 'Japanese Akita Inu' started by Jhony, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries

Akita inu allergies

Hallo. I would like to know about akita allergies , if someone have experience with them , what susbtance do usually cause akita allergies or if there is solution. Thank you

For the 2nd time my akita is sick every thing started at the middle of june (like last year) , severe overshedding , red spots all over his abdomen , moderately (+) decreased apetite.
    He looks smaller like he had lost 8-10 kg , head circumfrance decreased a lot , hairy culed tail is with little hair left.
    I have been visiting vetrinars for a while and treatment is in process . But i would like to know if
    Anyome have any idea ? May be from experiance
    Thank you
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What tests has the vet done?
  4. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
    first vet just started to give antihistamine (anti allergic drug family) , vitamins and omega 3 .
    2nd vet gave me Bravecto (drug against almost all type of ticks he said duration of action for 3 month)
    And he did biochemical blood test ;
    Results ; slightly increased liver enzymes (liver inflammation ) and increased alpha amylase (panreatic over secretion / inflammation )
    He said that now my dog should eat just one source of food for 2 month ( german dry dog food made from salamon ) and repeat the test after this 2 month . And he said to stop all drugs given by previous vet .
    Still am not totally convinced my dog looks like he lost 10 kg. dry food alone will not help him gain weight since his barely eating it , also his problem started at specific time of the year ,2 consecutive years . But vets are convinced that its food allergy.
    Now he has almost no rash on his abdomen . But his fur is still fragile and thin and he looks thin for an akita , with small head .
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Bravecto is for against fleas and ticks and should not cause allergies. And antihistamines and vitamins same. Food allergies? What foods are your vets selling?

"slightly increased liver enzymes (liver inflammation ) and increased alpha amylase (panreatic over secretion / inflammation )" is not a diagnosis - it sounds more like "change the food to this one or other than I sell".
  6. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
    I dont know the name of th food
    I didnt buy yet . I have hypoallergic food when it will be finished i will see .but he said something german hypoallergenic made from salamon mostly, "royal canin like level " but cheaper

And Yes , its not a diagnosis . !!!
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If its only at certain times of the year it sounds more like a seasonal allergy,I would ask for a referral to a vet dermatologist it’s often money well spent, rather than going round in circles and getting nowhere.

It is worrying that he is losing a lot of weight, has the vet looked into the cause.
    How old is he?
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Vee @GsdSlave is probably correct about it being a seasonal allergy.

The weight loss would also worry me and I would want more tests done.
  9. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries

He is 2 years and one week old
    The vet said it may be caused from diffrent reasons in those 2 years . It may be a coincidence that it came in the same time .
    I still think its seasonal , when its hot mostly mid june he have over heavy shedding and not normal shedding.
    The vet is still saying its food allergy , stop everything and give him just hypoallergenic dry food . Since he is a professional vet and people recommend of him a lot (also blood test showing signs that may be realted to food intolerance), i will not avoid what he said .i will go with his plann . But if june come and hmy dog will have this again even though the hole year he ate just hypoallergenic dry food and nothing else i will know that its not the food...

Am still surprised that not to many people are replying , i thought dog allergies are more spread and are easier to deal with , it seems like no one realy knows :( ....
  10. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And who sells the food your vet recommends?
  12. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
    Hhhhhhhh great quastion... He is selling it
    חשוד
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oops!!! I will not ask you the brand but can possibly have a good idea.

And that is why I am a raw feeder!
  14. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I have Akitas and other dogs before that but they’ve not had food allergies. I do however have a pup that’s a poo eater.... I think I’d prefer the allergies, this can hopefully be taken care of by a change of diet..
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka likes this.
    If the diet doesn’t work might be worth getting a thyroid test.

Akitas are prone to Hypothyroidism,
    Symptoms include
    Skin and coat problems such as, hot spots, dry flaky skin, dull broken coat, lack of coat, weight variations, , loss in appetite ect:
  16. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries

In hypothyrodism will be decreased apetite and cold intolernace , weight gain and fatigue as the first manifestations.
    But there is no way it will be weight loss in hypothyrodism ...
    Weight loss , increased apetite , heat intolerance , that is for hyperthyrodism not "hypo"
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Incidentally the Hebrew word חשוד as in message #11 by the OP means fishy/suspect/suspicious.
  18. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I am aware about weight gain ect: but the degree of symptoms are variable and non-specific, as far as I am aware there is not a specific symptom that is diagnostic for hypothyroidism.
  19. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
    Hypo / hyperthyrodism have very clear clinical signs and symptoms , and charachterized indeed iby combination of signs that are specific and if not( in some cases), they are very easy diagnosed by hormone blood levels test.
    ( I am a medicine studnet)
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just out of curiosity, where were you a studnet? You would have been thrown out of my medical school with such bad spelling.
  21. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Pot calling kettle black.. check your own spelling... studnet... student.. we all make mistakes, hit wrong key etc.

Studnet sounds like a site to find a stud dog, at best...

Poor guy is stressed over his puppy, looking for advice or someone with similar experience. Sure as heck didn’t need this post from you...
    I’m sorry if I seem disrespectful but jeez, why even post that.. Just don’t see how your post helps this guy in anyway at all....