Akita inu allergies Discussions

Discussion in 'Japanese Akita Inu' started by Jhony, Aug 7, 2018.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't like the sound of those raised liver and pancreatic enzymes, and wonder whether it could be abdominal pain which is preventing him from enjoying his food. If his blood chemistry is not right, this could well show in the condition of his coat - I was reminded of this today when I wrote of one of my past girls who was not able to digest fats. Her coat became very coarse and sparse until the condition was finally diagnosed and she had the correct supplement.
    I think I would be inclined to change onto a hypoallergenic food as soon as possible. If you are suspicious, it doesn't have to be the one that your vet sells - my vet gave me some rough guidelines and left me free to experiment when my Beagle boy's ulcerative colitis was diagnosed. I soon sussed that maize was the primary allergen in his case, and started him on a grain-free food with a novel protein source - (duck, white fish or rabbit varieties) - and as few ingredients as possible. The most common allergens seem to be wheat, maize, gluten and chicken, no doubt there are others. You will need to test feed each product for at least a month to six weeks to be able to judge the results.
    Not at all related to your query, but my boy's illness turned out to be due to an auto-immune condition - increasingly common these days. He went on to develop non-malignant bowel tumours, and hypothyroidism, but his general health status remains good at 10 years of age.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Well upon rereading I see you just copied his miss spelling, so I apologize for my kettle/black comment. But I still stand by the rest of my post. English is likely not his first language. This is a forum about dogs, not spelling or punctuation or grammar etc
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Jhony and CaroleC like this.
    I too would be concerned by the blood results and it sounds like your vet is trying an elimination diet first using novel proteins (salmon instead of meat and very likely cutting out all grains and changing the carb source).

If you don't see a change when sticking to the elimination diet, I would imagine your vet will then look into the other causes using the blood results as a yard stick for what to test for.

Try to change the food over as soon as possible. If it is food related, the last thing your dog needs is to keep eating the same allergen that is causing the problem
  5. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
    Sometimes i reply too fast by typing the phone keyborad thats why i have some extra letters or "mistakes " and even though , there are still too little mistakes .
    So don't put your nose in the air for saying/ writing some nonsense.
    You dont know me , you dont know what type of person or student i am and how much i invest in my study .
    And i dont really care what you will do with "your" "medical school" that you dont have .

Well.... :/ just bored people here with time to wright nonsense with nothing helpful...
    Arrogant people with philosophy out of bordem.
  6. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries

Thank you
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I apologise if I unintentionally insulted you, so please forgive me. But it is over fifty years since I studied medicine and in those days everything was hand-written and had to be spelled correctly in case a mistake was made in a diagnosis or in writing out a prescription.

Again I apologise most sincerely.
  8. Jhony

Jhony New Member

Name:
    jiries
    Apology accepted :)

I think that you have noticed "wright" in the end of the post instead of "write" . Its a huge spelling mistake for a very simple word but yet you didn't reply for that. Looks like you have understood my point .
    Of course if i had to write some perscription or work for the University i will pay more attention for mistakes and spelling .
    If you were correcting my mistake or something like that i wouldn't have reacted like that . But saying " you would have been thrown out " its pretty judgy and insulting considering that you dont know me and you cant know if i deserve to be a medicine student or not.
    By the way english is my third language.
    Wish U All The Best
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Has the change in food helped?