Play Biting...How do I make it stop???? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Shawn Spradling, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Shawn Spradling

Shawn Spradling New Member

Name:
    Shawn

Play Biting...How do I make it stop????

We've had our shorthair for 5 weeks now and it has been nothing but constant biting. My arms look like I have a skin disease! We haven't really found much of anything that will command his attention. He'll play with a chew toy for a hot minute and its back to biting hands, arms, ankles, etc. We have never owned a shorthair. I know they have a lot of energy. We walk him regularly and put him on a tie out in the yard, but I know he needs more activity. Is this the reason for the constant biting? What can we do? I've wanted a shorthair for 4 years now, so this is a dream come true that's turning into a nightmare. I'm not sure we're going to be able to keep him if this doesn't stop. It's exhausting!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Pork1epe1 and Malka like this.
    Since nobody else has responded to you I will...

If you know your dog needs more activity why don’t you provide him with more activities? I taught my pups kisses when they wanted to nip. Now I have dogs that like to lick but they rarely bite. The 10 month old pup is still a work in progress but my two year old knows better and the younger one is asked for a kiss when she tries to nip or bite.

You have a puppy that you’ve only had for 5 weeks, you need to teach him what’s ok and what’s not ok, they aren’t born knowing what you want.

Maybe you need to hire a trainer or a behaviorist. This is your dog that you’ve wanted for years, have some patience with him and work on his training. If this is too much for you I’d suggest rehoming him sooner than later and get a fish tank instead..
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    How old is he?

It sounds very much like he is a young puppy and, if so, the biting is very much part of his development - most puppies do it.

They do tend to grow out of it, but it's always helpful to speed the process along a little. There are two main ways that can help. One is to stop all interaction (no eye contact, go still as a statue, no words) until he stops then resume play. For a very insistent biter, walking out of the room (again no interaction) may be needed.

The second way is to substitute a toy for your hand or whatever he is biting every time he does it.

You suggest he is understimulated. If so, a great way to use up some of his mental energy is with training. Teach him the basic commands, (leave it is particularly useful) and simple tricks. It will tire him out as much as a walk
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If he is a young puppy too much exercise will over-stimulate him and not do much good for his joints. Putting on a tie-line in the yard, presumably by himself, will frustrate him.

And young puppies need a lot of sleep.

My nearly 3½ year old little one, who was a diabolical - and who hurt, especially when teething, learned that she could still mouth my hands but only gently and when I let her when playing. Her trigger was the word "gently".
  6. Shawn Spradling

Name:
    Shawn
    I
  7. Shawn Spradling

Name:
    Shawn
    Thanks for your reply. He's 14 weeks old. We have done and continue to do both of the things you suggest. We are constantly trying to redirect with a chew toy, and within in a few seconds it's back to the hands. We will get up and leave the room, and when we come back it's right back to biting. I feel like we are doing all the right things, but nothing seems to be working.
  8. Shawn Spradling

Name:
    Shawn
    Fish tank? Great advice.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    How about spraying something on your arms/hands that he won’t like, maybe bitter apple. I bought some spray at the pet store. I’ve used it on places they wanted to chew and found it to worked really well for me!! I didn’t spray it on myself but don’t see why it wouldn’t work
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Bitter apple spray!! The fish tank comment was because you said you might not be able to keep him and had only had him for 5 weeks.. but it was a smart @$$ comment and not very useful.... Bitter apple spray worked great to get pups to not chew the handle on my recliner and a few other things they thought would be fun to gnaw on, it’s worth a try
  11. Shawn Spradling

Name:
    Shawn
    Thank you! That is useful!
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Then you turn around and walk straight back out without saying a word and keep doing it until he tires of the game :)

It seems never ending, but they do get there in the end. Those baby teeth start coming out at 16 weeks (give or take a few days either side) so he is teething big time at the moment. Once new teeth come in, that's when they tend to lose the intensity of their biting antics.

Hang in there. It's well worth the effort and patience
  13. CharlesColeman55

CharlesColeman55 New Member

Name:
    Chuck
    We are keeping daughter's two 3-year old GSP's, been with us for 10 months. A spray bottle with water works great for them to settle down. Just a suggestion. We love them.