Rash and Itching Photos

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Nicolacooke, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Nicolacooke

Nicolacooke New Member

Name:
    Nikki

Rash and Itching

This is my first post. We have a Staffy he’s currently 2.5 years old. He has this rash and it’s itchy and driving him crazy!! He keeps getting the same rash and I have done some research and I think it’s a heat rash. He’s also woken up this morning with a bloodshot eye with green gunk. I have cleaned it out with some warm water but I’m just wondering if dogs can get conjunctivitis? Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    1 - have you taken him to your vet about this recurring rash, and

2 - are you going to take him to your vet about this bloodshot eye?

Home treatments when you do not have a vet's diagnosis is never a good thing.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    You really need to see a vet and have tests done it could be food / environmental allergy, or mites.

Try Dermacton cream that should help sooth the itch, it comes in shampoo bar spray and cream.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes dogs can get conjunctivitis. Your vet will prescribe eye drops to treat it.
    Blue Staffies can be prone to having a sensitive skin, but your vet is the best person to diagnose the root cause of your dog's skin problem.
  6. Nicolacooke

Nicolacooke New Member

Name:
    Nikki
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you so much. I will book him an appointment with our vet for the morning. They said it was food allergies so we switched his food which didn’t help at all but will have to get him checked over again and have an allergy test done to rule anything out. His eye has also gone down and no more gunk but I’ll mention it to them tomorrow. Thank you again
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would keep experimenting with the food too. Wheat and maize are common allergens, and even rice doesn't suit all dogs. Chicken can also cause problems. Look for a simple food with as few additives as possible, and a protein source which is new to your dog, eg. rabbit, white fish, or duck. It is a good idea to try feeding grain free first, if he is OK on that, you can try adding some alternative ingredients and see how he reacts.
    Test feed each stage for at least a month - unless you have a bad reaction of course. Remember, to exclude shop bought treats too, unless they match the food criteria.
    An alternative is to cut out kibble altogether and feed raw - but do read up about BARF diets if you do decide to try it.
  8. Nicolacooke

Nicolacooke New Member

Name:
    Nikki
    CaroleC thank u so much hun. I will definitely look into cutting out wheat and maize. The vet told us it was meat in general he was allergic to but we cut out all meat products for 3-4 months and to be honest he was worse so I have no idea.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What tests did the vet actually do to say your dog is allergic to meat in general? All meat? All types of meat? What about fish? A dog needs a certain percentage of protein a day and if your dog really is allergic to meat in general [?] then what protein is he supposed to eat?

You say you cut out all meat products for 3-4 months - so what were you feeding him on?