My male Frenchie is very large Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Jkeighley, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh

My male Frenchie is very large

Hello everyone I’m new to the forum. I don’t know why but lately I’ve been skeptical about my male frenchies weight. He’s only 11 months old but he weighs a whopping 34 pounds. He’s not fat what so ever, just very loose around the neck with a lot of room to grow his head some more. He’s tall and longer than most frenchies. He’s a fawn, and we got him from a very reliable importer in my state. Ever since he was little he always had that loose flubbery feel to him but he’s not fat. It’s hard to explain. But is 34 pounds a little excessive for a 11 month old frenchie male? Should I be questioning if he’s actually purebred? From my understanding fawn brindle and pied are the 3 “purebred” colors. Any input helps thank you in advance!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    Picture of my Male Frenchie Mookie

Attached Files:

4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What are you feeding him? I am sorry but I do not know anything about the breed but how much did your guy weigh when you got him?

You say you got him from an importer in your state, so really what did you know about him and his sire and dam before you got him?
  5. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    Didn’t get much info about the dam or sire other than the sire was a red fawn champion bloodline, dam was a smaller fawn. Mookie was about 8 pounds at 8 weeks old when we got him. We feed him 2 1/2-2 5/8 cups of royal canin French bulldog food every day. Thinking about switching to a partial raw diet. The importer/breeder also got a nose to tail screening done to make sure he was 100% healthy because she was going to keep him for a stud. I have no doubt that he’s purebred but I just never knew they got THIS big. As a normal breed standard in AKC for a male is 20-28 pounds.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    He does sound rather heavy for his age and looks like a really big boy,but it is always difficult to know about the sire and dam when you import puppies without having seen their parents, only pictures.

There are people on Breedia who are far more experienced than I, especially regarding what food and howmuch your lad should have. I am sorry but I cannot help you with that as I am a raw feeder.
  7. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    No worries and I thank you very much for the input. We’re using him as our stud, our females 24 pounds and perfect female size. Both from the same importer. She had a litter of 8 all natural no c-section. Just worries me cause when people come to look at the puppies, they see the sire and get worried that the pups will be very large like him. To be honest I like the big stud frenchies, very wrinkly in the neck yet muscular everywhere else.

Attached Files:

8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Have you got his pedigree ?
  9. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    Sadly I do not, at the time we did not pay for it. My significant other works with the importer/breeder so I’m sure we could possibly ask her to dig around for the breeder in Denmark to get that information. Thinking of possibly DNA testing my big mookie soon.
  10. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    The importer we went through also imports von der nordsee and Malinios shepherds, along with European frenchies. Very nice importer and breeder.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Why would you have to pay for his pedigree ?
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Especially having paid for him to be imported?

I mean that if you import a dog, possibly unseen, pedigree or nor, how do you know that the dog you have imported is the one you bought?

I am rather confused by all this.

Also if he is so large, are you sure that he will be an ideal stud dog? Especially as he is yet unproven.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Jkeighley likes this.
    He is proven. A litter of eight if I understand the situation correctly.
  14. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    She imports full litters, we had first pick on the males. Was told it’s extra to receive paperwork. You can check her website at foxhillk9.com
    He just had a litter of 8 with a 24 pound female all natural no c section. So I think our selection worked well. I would just like to know since AKC breed standards put males at 20-28 pounds, are big boys like mine uncommon? Do people look at him and get turned away cause he’s so big?

Attached Files:

15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka likes this.
    So basically they are dealers, not what I would call reputable breeders.
  16. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    I guess you could say that, she also has her own studs and dams for breeding frenchies. She strictly only imports the shepherds. Only lady in New England other than in New York with real frenchies. Plus I’m a big fan of the European genes.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't understand why you would want to breed unregistered French Bulldogs. How can you possibly know which animals genes you have imported?
  18. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    a great point which is why we will be dna testing both of them. Breeder was ganna keep him as her own stud so we immediately jumped on him. All the health checks came out impeccable. The vets around the area all know this lady as well and say she knows more about frenchies than the head vets themselves. Both are dogs are registered under North American Purebred Registry
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    French bulldogs are are not shepherds. They are registered under bull breed dogs.

Perhaps that vet should learn a bit about dogs, and IF the vet calls him a shepherd then she does not know what she is talking about.

A French Bulldog is a bull breed and NOT a shepherd.
  20. Jkeighley

Jkeighley New Member

Name:
    Josh
    When did I mention she labels frenchies as shepherds? Sorry for the confusion. She breeds and imports frenchies, doesn’t breed her shepherds only imports them from the North Sea. Her frenchies are usually from Denmark. Back to the original question, all I’m wondering is it normal for some frenchies to be above the breed standards weight? Everyone’s saying he must be overweight but he’s not at all. Everyone in the 100 mile radius of where I live who owns a frenchie says they got it from where we got ours. She’s like the only reputable place up here in New England without paying 5-6k for the rare colors.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You did. Message #15 when you said "She strictly only imports the shepherds." when you were talking about French Bulldogs.

You bought an unseen and unregistered dog from a breeder, sight unseen, with no papers and no health tests, and you are going to use him as a stud dog for your own bitch?

SIGH