Please help! Sudden mild to medium aggression General Chat

Discussion in 'Bloodhound' started by Lenore Walsh, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Lenore Walsh

Lenore Walsh New Member

Name:
    Lenore Walsh

Please help! Sudden mild to medium aggression

Hey everyone, I really need some help.
    We got our Male bloodhound/black tan cross about 2 years ago from a couple who had a baby on the way and each worked opposite 12 hour shifts. So this puppy spent most of his time in a cage.
    They loved him dearly but couldn't deal with the obvious bloodhound qualities and we found him.
    At first he was trouble, which we accepted. We got him fixed right away.
    We have three kids which he was immediately smitten. They, at this point are absolutely elated to get a new dog and doted on him ever since. There is not one tiny mean finger bone between all my three kids. They feed, snuggle with and walk both the dogs)
    We also have a 6 year old pyr/bmastiff and they are the best of friends. Never a problem between them.
    The first summer I took him on bike rides a few times a week. We live in the mountains so we hike all the time and camp and basically spend as much time outside as we can.
    Ir was not an easy transition. We were patient through the baying when we left (or anytime there was a small dog or anything really haha)
    He did still manage to chew stuff if in another room unsupervised but it seems only paper towel or toilet paper is his choice of chew.
    After one year he settled down a bit.
    SO ONE DAY.......
    my other dog because she is very large has always been the "boss",
    Never aggressive at all but it's clear she was the boss lady.
    One day I get some sort of large bone and for once he is allowed by her to claim it.
    My middle son who was 8 at the time went to go get the dogs from the backyard and walked up to him with the bone and wanted to pick it up to throw it for him
    ..... he growls.....he calls me and i go in to see what happens.....he growls.
    I just did the "no copper(him) that's a bad boy" and tried again and he snapped. Not in a playful way.
    Ever since that it's been little bouts of that. My oldest caught him when he was almost about to sneak outside.....growl
    Just tonight my 5 year old daughter was about to go to bed so she pulls her blanket a little so she can have a little but let him sleep there (he absolutely will never sleep on their beds again and my dumb person thought it was strictly a food thing...)
    So I came in and tried the same. He growled a little at me to. He would NOT move from her bed. I eventually talked him into going downstairs then he was on his way down and my husband was in the hallway and kind of booted his butt in a "get going" kind of way like he has many times and he growled at him too. My husband took him down to make him submit and he went down snapping kujo style.
    I had hoped after we dealt with the smaller isolated incidents that this would be over.
    I grew up in a confirmation, utility, and puppy mill rescue dog household and I do not know how to deal with this sporadic aggression.
    We've had him now about 3 years and only in the past six months since he got possession of that one none has this been happening.
    I fear that for the safety of my kids when I am not in the room or for other kids outside, i might need to take drastic action so please if anyone has any advice it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!!!
    Since we were thinking of getting him I did so much research about bloodhounds. We all worked hard to make sure we gave him all the love and exercise. I know they can sometimes be food protective and I made sure that I took the steps for that right at the get go.
    I can not let this dog hurt anyone and it shocks me that I need to worry about it because usually he is the sweetest people loving being that I have ever met. :(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sudden mild to medium aggression - are you waiting for the medium to become severe aggression? Then what would you do. You have three young children, two large dogs, and a husband who "boots his butt" [the dog, I mean] and "took him down to make him submit".

You took on a puppy who had spent most of his life in a cage [I use a crate for my dog but ONLY for nights].

And you say this was six months ago but only now you are asking what to do? And fear for the safety of your children when you are not in the room or for other children outside?

Depends on who you love most.

4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    With that kind of treatment I think your OH is lucky he didn’t get badly bitten.
    Growling is a warning,if you punish him for warning he will learn to immediately bite.
    Stop the rough handling treatment, submission is offered, not forced.

So it appears to have started when he had a bone and your son tried to remove it,It's basic resource guarding, I wouldn't scold him for growling, he’s just letting your son know that he wasn't comfortable with him taking the bone.
    There is obviously a trust issue, continuing to do what causes him to growl is not going to fix that, it will only make it worse.
    I suggest you contact a reputable behaviorist/trainer that uses positive techniques.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    I completely agree with @GsdSlave. It sounds as if someone has been watching Cesar Milan and has some outdated ideas about so-called Alpha theory. Pinning a dog down will only lead to greater resentment, and further aggression.
    Never punish a dog for growling - it is his way of telling you that he isn't happy. If you confront him, you are more likely to escalate the agression to a higher level.
    With a dog that has resource guarding issues, always offer an exchange if you need remove an item from him. A tasty treat, or a favourite toy is usually acceptable. Never give bones or long lasting chews to a resource guarder, especially when you have two large dogs.
    You have been so patient with this boy's other problems, so please show him a little more patience and try to repair your relationship. Please consult a positive methodology behaviourist on how to communicate with this boy, and defuse the situation which has developed.
    Best wishes, and do give us an update.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That was the first thing I thought of - Cesar Milan. I just did not want to say it. I have a gentle little wubba who will let up to six small young grandchildren of a neighbour fall over her, but yet who sunk her teeth in the fingers of my right hand the other day when she and I were on the floor playing. It was an accident and she did not mean it, but these things can happen and it was definitely my fault because I probably hurt her somehow.

But kicking a dog up their butt and then making them get to make him submit - with three young children in your home?

OK so Tikva hurt me but that was my fault. No way would she ever hurt another person. Not even the small children who fall all over her. And no, she did not growl as a warning to me - I probably fell on her and hurt her and that was her automatic reaction.
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Our dog has resource guarding issues, we had the same scenario as you...he had a bone and didn’t want to give it up. It wasn’t a pleasant experience and I can only imagine your worries with the children
    As recommended by everyone who has commented that a trade off is the way to retrieve something you want back.
    We made the decision NOT to give our dog anymore bones OR lasting treats, that way we end up with less opportunities of things happening. Saying that we still continue to train him by using the “ trade off “ technique just to try to get him used to handing things over.
    All breeds are so different with different traits, they are so much easier to handle if you know the traits and work with them rather than against them
    How are things going today ?
    Philippa
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    First things first - vet check explaining the sudden onset of the behaviour - this will rule out any medical complications that may have triggered the behaviour.

As the behaviour is escalating, then it's onto a behaviourist, making sure that the behaviourist uses positive methods, not the methods you have been employing.

The very last thing to do with an aggressive dog is to confront them, because eventually the dog will win. You need to change his mindset not bully him to submit because that will only mask the behaviour and will have minimal long term results