shihtzu not jumping Health

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Cassy smith, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Cassy smith

Cassy smith New Member

Name:
    Cassy

shihtzu not jumping

Hi I. Have a 10 ur old shihtzu male who yesterday suddenly didn’t want to jump up or walk around he’s seems a little disoriented and seems to be keeping his head low and to the side he hasn’t been around anything poisonous or hasn’t injured himself that I’m aware of can anyone help please
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I’m sorry I can’t be of any help
    You must be really worried, it sounds more that a “home remedy” situation, I think you are going to need to ring the vets
    Let us know how you get on
    Poor pooch ( and you )
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Vets!

It could be minor or it could be more serious. Only a vet can tell you which after a full examination.

Keep us up-dated please
  5. Cassy smith

Cassy smith New Member

Name:
    Cassy
    Thank you definitely taking him now hopefully it won’t be too serious thanks for replys
  6. Homeuser

Homeuser New Member

Name:
    AL
    Hope all is well.. How did you make out
  7. Cassy smith

Cassy smith New Member

Name:
    Cassy
    Not good at all been to see vets it looks like he has spinal problems so lots of tests and X-rays in the morning the vet thinks it’s pressure from jumping a lot and it’s caused damage to his spine, he thinks we might be able to control the pain with medication if it’s not too severe but he won’t be able to walk upstairs or jump any more the only other option is surgery which at Billy’s age is going to be stressful for him so we will have to make the decision on which root to take so today we are just sitting and comforting him and keeping him still am so sad he looks like he’s given up
  8. Homeuser

Homeuser New Member

Name:
    AL
    See, sorry to hear that . Hope Billy gets the right treatment that he needs.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Cassy smith likes this.
    Pain control medication and a change in routine, ie playing at ground level and given a lift up stairs and onto off of high surfaces may help him tremendously. Don't lose hope.

His dejected look today is more likely to be because he's in discomfort. Fingers crossed you will be able to ease that considerably xx
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    When my Löwchen male had a spinal injury, our vet said that the best chance of recovery was with pain relief and enforced cage rest. He was only allowed outside on a lead to relieve himself. It was very hard to do, as it did feel cruel for such an active character to have to stay crated while his housemates were having walks and fun. The vet said that it could take six weeks, but rest was essential if we were to have a chance of avoiding surgery. He was actually fit enough for gentle exercise after about 3 - 4 weeks, and went on to make a complete recovery - bar a single brief attack of inflammation in his old age. (He lived to 17).
  11. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I haven’t done much research into what I’m going to mention, but, maybe my fellow members have and can advise on it.
    I’m hearing a lot of chatter about Tumeric ( Golden paste ) ready made or you can make your own
    The things I have read have been very positive in the way of pain relief, inflammation and many more issues
    I also read humans are getting many benefits from it
    Philippa
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I use turmeric powder every day in a veggie and mixed herb soup that I add to their meat and kibble.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Lots of good reports for golden paste but I personally didn’t see any improvement in Heiko, though he did develop the ‘cat pee smell.
    I am still looking into trying CBD oil, but the fact the drops should be put directly into the mouth, ideally under their tongue is putting me off, as I know he would just clam his mouth shut.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Vee, you can buy plastic pipettes with a bulb at one end, which tapers into a long, fine, flexible tube. I bought mine from a shop selling aromatherapy oils - very cheap. Chas uses one for putting olive oil drops into his ears when they block.
  15. Kim Watcham

Kim Watcham New Member

Name:
    Kim
    poor little boy hope his well soon ....all the best from kim and archie
  16. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I’m surprised that they say to put it directly under the tongue. I gave my previous boy Darkstar both CBD pills and at times THC pills that I made myself extracted in coconut oil. I’d either open his mouth and drop the pill in and massage his throat until he swallowed it or sometimes put it on his food. I think the difference is that it will come on faster if absorbed through mucus membrane but will just take a bit longer if it goes through digestive tract. It will actually last longer if it goes through digestive tract, at least the thc does, not sure about the cbd