Malinois with GSD DNA Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Old, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don

Malinois with GSD DNA

Got a one year old Malinois from a man. He purchased it in Europe for $10,000. He couldn’t handle the dog’s personality and gave him away. The dog looks like every Malinois I’ve ever seen, but just to be sure, I sent a cheek swab to Wisdom Panel for a DNA check. It came back as 100% German Shepherd. Does this make sense to anyone?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    No that doesn't make any sense at all. I think I would raise a query with Wisdom, and make sure that Malinois are a breed that is well represented on their database. I am sure that there are Malinois around which are carrying GSD blood, but certainly not 100%, and not ones that are supposed to have cost $10,000!
    I have to say that I would only import a dog from someone that I had complete trust in. Was the breeder someone with an international reputation, and have the dog's pedigree and registration documents been passed on to you?
    I am not a breed expert, but I would be interested to see a photo of the dog.
  4. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    No papers. Just the word of a rescue group that also trains service dogs for veterans. They do it free of charge, they just couldn’t handle this 100 mph dog.
    I would include a picture, but I don’t know how. If it gets technical, I’m way too old to figure it out. I do have a police department dog trainer helping me figure out this dog now though. He’s leaning towards this being a gsd.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Many of our police forces breed their own line GSD's, but there are a lot coming in from Eastern Europe which are a different type - leaner, with hard muscle tone, and high drive. Last year I made the mistake of asking one Trials competitor if his dog was a Malinois cross - he was not amused!
    I am relieved that your trainer thinks that Wisdom Panel may be correct. I did think that the tests were proving more accurate these days. There is always likely be an element of doubt with breeds that have been interbred in the past, ie. Working Beagles and Harriers. The test can only be as good as the database, - but that is expanding all the time.
    I hope you are able make good progress with your lad. I'm 76 so know it isn't easy to continue putting in the hours, (and the miles), as you get older, so I have decided to stick with my Golden Oldies!
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    The working line Gsd’s tend to be finer and a bit smaller than the showline and are bred purely for their working ability generally working lines have higher drive and higher energy, working lines are predominantly ‘black/ bi-color or dark sables’.

The working Mals are bigger than the showline and they have larger ears, often they will be crossed with the Dutch shepherd and or the German shepherd.
  7. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Malka likes this.
    You are right about us old people having to slow down! I don’t think I should have taken this dog, but his ribs were showing and I felt for him. Now I love him and should, but can’t, give him away. Thanks for listening to me complain.
  8. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    My mistake. This poor dog I adopted, Max, was and is a GSD for sure. He was so undernourished I mistook him for a Malinois. I’m no expert. I’m sure I wouldn’t have made the wrong ID if I was. Now he’s filled out, looks like a fine GSD, smart as a tack, and I love him like crazy.
    To sort of quote Gone With the Wind... He’ll never go hungry again!!
    -Old-
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Brilliant. One of the few joys of being old is the amount of time and love that you are able to lavish on your dogs!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    And the love they give you in return is the reason they give you to get up in the mornings.
  11. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
  12. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    CaroleC likes this.
    Reason for getting up in the morning....yes, you are right. However, Max will let us sleep as long as we want. Then HIS day begins. ...He wants me all to himself, doesn’t even want me in the same room as my wife until he gets his walk and calms down. His policeman k9 trainer says he’ll grow out of this puppy behavior in a couple years. He’s just a very smart full throttle gsd.
  13. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    CaroleC likes this.
    This has nothing to do with with anything other than it’s impressive.
    I just read about a Border Collie who can identify over 200 toys by name.
    I realize he’s not typical, but dogs never cease to amaze me.
  14. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Big, big problem!! My gsd is extremely attached to me. My wife is 85% bed bound. The dog comes to my wife’s bedside, gets treats and petted. Never been a problem. Now, for some reason, when she walks by him, heading to the restroom, he growls. Once he gave her a small nip, once he snapped and growled. I’m at a loss. My wife’s a dog lover and has always been nice to Max. I DO NOT want to give him up, but don’t know what to do.
  15. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    upload_2019-8-14_21-12-6.jpeg
  16. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
  17. Old

Old Member

Name: