Puppy food Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Heather Barcoe, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Heather Barcoe

Heather Barcoe New Member

Name:
    Hev

Puppy food

Hi all,
    Question here I’m wanting to wean my puppy on to pedigree puppy food, but I’m wanting to introduce dry food as well throughout the day.
    Will the pup be ok on bakers puppy dry food or will this upset his stomach with being on pedigree jelly food.
    Also the pedigree food is pouches so how often should I feed my puppy? 8 weeks of age and is it a full pouch?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Heather - is there any reason why you do not want to start the puppy on dry food? I fed both my previous pups on puppy dry food from when I brought them home at approximately six-weeks-old, changing to adult at around five months. But I changed Pereg [the one in my avatar] onto raw food when she was probably around 2½ years old, and my little Tikva has been on raw since I weaned her.

I do not know anything about the dog food that is available to you as we get different brands here. However, there are many experts here who will be able to advise you about types of foods and brands, so I am sure someone far knowledgeable than I should be able to help you.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Keep puppy on the same food that the breeder has been giving him until he has completely settled with you, then make any changes to his diet gradually. There are much better foods than Bakers, which has lots of additives, and scores a low rating on All About Dog Food.
    See www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk
  5. Heather Barcoe

Heather Barcoe New Member

Name:
    Hev

Hey, just spoke with the breeder, and informed them that I would prefer pedigree puppy food and she is willing to put my pup onto this.
    Was only asking about dry food as I’ll be at work during the day and with the food pouche how often does he need feeding?
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I doubt adding dry food into the mix will badly upset his tum, but you may get softer than usual stools for a couple of days until his digestive system adapts fully to it.

I'm not a fan of Bakers, but if it's already proving to be good for your dog then you don't really need to 'fix what ain't broke'.

As for quantity, it really is trial and error. Look at what the manufacturer recommends on the back of the pack and use that as a guide. If he looks to be getting a little too podgy, reduce the amount and, similarly increase if he starts to look a little too thin
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Young puppies will need to be fed four times a day. I have never fed a puppy using Pedigree pouches, but I have used the adult version as a topper when we are out for the day. Have to say they don't look very substantial to me, quite jellyish, but they do smell good.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  9. RunswithCatahoulas

RunswithCatahoulas New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I like to feed dry food but mix in a little canned food with it or a salmon oil/etc supplement.

The dogs really devour their food this way.