Question on food Diet

Discussion in 'Scottish Terrier' started by KevinA89, Jan 14, 2019.

1. KevinA89

KevinA89 New Member

Name:
    Kevin

Question on food

Hi all,

New to the forum and had a question on what food you feed your Scottie. We found out that the food we were giving our dog was questionable. We switched to Fromm, which were told was good, but we’re also thinking about switching to Purina Pro Plan since the company has been around for a while.

What do some of you suggest? Should we stick with Fromm? What are some of your opinions on grain-free for Scottie’s?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Fromm is good quality, Purina is low quality
  4. KevinA89

KevinA89 New Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Even the pro plan lineup?
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree with Marc. I haven't seen Fromm in the UK for several years now - though I see that Amazon stock it. It was quite well thought of, but I don't know whether it still has the same recipe, and I can't find a rating for it. I'm not a fan of Purina Pro Plan, which is only rated at around 1.9/5 on All About Dog Food.
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    No dogs need grain free. Even my vet told me that its basically just a marketing ploy. There's been zero overall improvement to dogs health since "grain free" became a thing.

There's no legitimate research that proves grain free supports better health in dogs. Even the commercials merely point out the difference in ingredients. They don't have any actual data they can use, or they would.

Cancers, bowel issues, allergies, yeast infections, early death etc have been only getting more prevalent as food "advances". It gets a LOT worse than Pro Plan. With that said, I wouldn't switch from Fromm to Pro Plan if your dog seems to be doing well on Fromm.

My current dog eats ONLY Victor High Pro Plus. He's kinda fat and we tried diets of fish based food and everything else. None of it helped and so I switched him back to his favorite.

Some people feed their dog tons of vegetables and others feed dogs vegan diets. It's really no surprise that dogs have evolved to become allergic to things like CHICKEN (unheard of many years ago) when we fill their diets with peas and whatnot.

Sad day when carnivores can tolerate veggies better than meat. Humans truly can be the worst.
  7. KevinA89

KevinA89 New Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Appreciate all the responses. After talking to the vet, she said some breeds may have developed heart failure with grain free. They just recommended pro plan because purina, iams, and some other have been around for a while. Some of these other brands aren’t as noticible, and there’s just so many different foods out there, so I just wanted to see what others are doing.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My vet does not sell dog food, nor does he recommend any brand. However, it took him some time to accept when I changed to being a raw feeder ~June/July 2011. Not a ton of vegetables and definitely not vegan, but a well balanced fresh diet. Food that I know exactly what I give them.

I feed the same food that I eat, the only difference being that Tikva, and Pereg before her, have/had theirs raw and I cook the same food for myself. Neither had/have any allergies, and Pereg's epilepsy had nothing to do with her food.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Purina, Iam’s, Hill’s science diet, all low quality