Ebitcam Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Heather Barcoe, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Heather Barcoe

Heather Barcoe New Member

Name:
    Hev

Ebitcam

Has anyone ever used a webcam for their puppy while they’ve been at work?
    Sorry if it’s a stupid question.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is not a stupid question Heather but no, I have never used a webcam as I was retired when I adopted my last pups.

How old will the puppy be when you have to leave him to go to work, and for how long will you be leaving him?
  4. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev

He will be 9 weeks and roughly 7 hours a day
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Never had one myself, but they seem to be popular with working Beagle owners.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    @Heather Barcoe - are you intending to leave a 9 week old puppy for 7 hours a day while you go to work?
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Welcome to the group
    When you set your camera up and see what you see have you got a plan “B “
    7 hours is a long time to leave such a little one
    Sadly, I for one couldn’t bear to watch the video footage
    Is there any way you could get someone else to help to “ puppy sit “
    Sorry, I know your question was about cameras, but, I couldn’t help but comment
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    I have to agree that personally I think that’s much too long to leave such a young pup. Need to start with shorter periods and slowly extend them. I would think a dog that old will need to go to the bathroom quite a few times over 7 hours. This pup is basically an infant, would you leave a human baby for that long, or at all...
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I would think doggie daycare would be far preferable to leaving a 9 week old pup for 7-9 hours. You couid work on leaving it at home for longer periods of time on the weekends. I’m start a new job and will be leaving my 2 dogs for 10.75 hours, 4 days a week. They are used to being home for 8+ hours so I think they will adjust, but my dogs are 28 months and 14 months, and honestly I’m not thrilled about doing this
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I just realized that you probably can’t take a 9 week old pup to doggie daycare because they won’t have all their vaccinations yet..
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    This puppy is only a baby, so is someone going to call in and give him his mid-day meal, and some attention? Have you thought about how you are going to housetrain your puppy?
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Last Sunday the OP said the puppy was currently 8 days old and she will be getting him when he is 8 weeks old. And just one week later the intention is to leave him for 7 hours a day.

He will not even have gotten to know his new home properly after just one week.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Probably not what you want to hear but ‘I'm afraid that's too long for a puppy, for the first few weeks at home they will need regular toilet trips and will need to be fed four times a day. It can work getting a pup and working full time, but you need to spend a good week or two at home with pup to settle him in and arrange for someone to help out during the day time.

Looking through your other threads am not sure you have thought this through, the idea of having a puppy is ‘very different to the reality, puppies are a big responsibility and hard work.

Yes it’s possible to have a puppy and work full time but it takes a lot of effort and planning ahead
  14. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    Thanks for the positive and negative feedback.
    Yes I am having someone check on him twice while I’m in work to give him his meal and attention.
    My thread was for camera. Yes I’m having the first week off work when I get him to spend time with him and get him adapting to my home. He won’t be on his own all that time my family member will be popping in.
  15. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Heather, I hope we haven’t all frightened you off
    I have never used a camera as we have the luxury of early retirement
    Please keep us all posted on your progress and we are all eager to see any pictures/video footage you can post and there are a lot of very experienced and helpful people here, so, just ask away .....
  16. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Oh that's great news! I got my puppy at 12 weeks and the neighbor would come let him out feed him and walk him at lunch for me. Did that until he was about 8 months and i felt he could make it until I got home from work. Worked great! I have a camera now that also will give him a bone when I see him knock his bone under the couch and can't reach it. He likes to chew.. will do anything to get to his bone. :D It has definitely saved furniture in my home from his teeth! Lol
  17. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Heather if you don't mind me asking but is he in the home all day on his own because if so puppies get bored and this leads to mischief, staffs adore human contact when young and need attention in training in the proper direction of how you want them to be :)
  18. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    I’m out the house 7-8 hours a day, i have weekends off work, I’ve arranged for a family member to spend 3 hours of that 7-8 I’m out with him so I know he will be like after and will get his feeding and training done in that time
  19. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Really nice to hear and this alone takes worry off your head and he'll need all the training he can get plus with staffs they don't fully mature till they're 3yrs old regarding the body / muscle and learning and by that time you will see a huge difference.:)