How to crate train my puppy Training

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Go2doug, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Go2doug

Go2doug New Member

Name:
    Doug

How to crate train my puppy

She's currently 8 weeks old and doing very well all-around, but she really hates being in her crate. We would like her to sleep in it during the night and we'd also like the ability to leave her in the crate during the day for a couple of hours if she ever needs to be alone. But when we put her in the crate she whines and howls like crazy! Am I supposed to just let this continue until she calms down?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Is her crate a comfortable den? I would put snuggly bedding in it, cover the top and three sides with a blanket, and leave the door open so she can discover that it is a nice place to settle down in. Give her some toys and something to chew on, and maybe feed her in the crate too. She is still very young, and will learn to be content in her crate if she doesn't see it as a punishment.
  4. Go2doug

Go2doug New Member

Name:
    Doug
    That is good advice, and it's what I'm doing already believe it or not. Sometimes she goes into it to take a nap, but I think she's afraid that once the door is closed and she can't get out, she's stuck in there forever. :(
  5. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Hello @Go2doug I had to use a crate for my 2nd staffy Tyson, when I had him at first he was ok then came his bad habits trying to chew, so I brought a crate brought a nice comfy bed liner and in went an old slipper as it makes them feel close to their owner, as you have to remember you've took the place of her mother.;)
    I used to put Tyson in and lock the crate for 15mins and yes I got the crying and whimpering but when I did lose him out he was rewarded and besides saying who's been a good boy and as this was repeated I did it longer and the rewards went on and days when he was good he was left out of it but at night I always said now go in your bed and they finally get to realize and it took 6mths as he carried a very bad domineering traite in him but I couldn't have wished for a well behaved dog and is crate was open all the time and only used for sleeping in unlocked.

It's hard but you'll get there in the end :)
  6. Go2doug

Go2doug New Member

Name:
    Doug
    I know; thanks. ;) She's slowly spending more and more time in the crate before she starts whimpering and yelping. She just turned nine weeks today so she's still a baby.
  7. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Hi @Go2doug yes when they're young they do whimper but definitely an old slipper as it's a comfy zone for her and I do recommend buying something for her to chew on while in their as they also need their minds occupied plus the teething stage.

These are good because I always made sure my Bruno had one when I stopped the rawhide bone.

a7db7a36377a4e1bc2842b073eeace65.jpg
  8. Lesa

Lesa New Member

Name:
    Lesa
    CaroleC likes this.
    When we got Preston, he was four months old and had never been in a kennel alone before. He cried all night with a loud voice!! I was terrified he'd never get over it and always hate his kennel! But here are some things I did and he sleeps in his kennel anytime I want day or night without making a peep.
    1. I fed him all his meals in his kennel with the door open, never on the floor or in the kitchen.
    2. I wore him out until his eyes were bloodshot playing and romping so that he was desperate to sleep!
    3. I never used the kennel for discipline.
    4. He was put to bed with the cheerful command, "kennel," followed by a small treat, "goodnight" and I covered it so he couldn't see out.
    Lastly, even now, I NEVER lift the blanket off or let him out if he is whining. That teaches them noise brings you back.
    Our sheltie was let out when she cried as a puppy and she barked and threw a fit in her kennel all her life....
    Every dog responds a little different, but hope this helps!