10 month old puppy had shaking, imbalance & disorientation episode Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by CMK1216, Feb 8, 2019.

1. CMK1216

CMK1216 New Member

Name:
    Colleen
    Brunniebabe likes this.

10 month old puppy had shaking, imbalance & disorientation episode

Hi. We are extremely concerned after an episode that our 10 month old puppy had yesterday. Initially, she was a little shaky but acting normal otherwise. However, the shakiness was concerning so we took her to the vet immediately and she got progressively worse while we were there. She ended up being extremely wobbly and unbalanced as well as looking very out of it in her eyes. She was not falling completely over but definitely falling and catching herself. She also seemed to lose control of her bladder and she had a little urine coming out and had no idea. She definitely knew something was wrong but was still her sweet self in disposition. She was not her chipper, excited self though as she knew something was off & felt off. She had all normal blood work and did stay over night. She progressively got better while being monitored through the night. She was not given any medication or anything, just IV for liquids etc. As of last night, the vet advised that she was acting like a normal puppy and this morning, the doctor called and advised the same. We were able to pick her up late this afternoon. We are awaiting test results regarding the liver that were done today after fasting. She is currently on a liver issue diet until we get results. The doctor advised it is either liver related or neurological. It seems unlikely that it was from a toxin or poison because she was not alone long yesterday nor do we know of anything that she could have gotten to that was poisonous to her. Also, with the blood results all coming back normal, I’m thinking that couldn’t be it. However, I honestly wish that it was so it was just a fluke thing. If it is neurological, there is no way to tell IF or when it would happen again without going to a neurologist which may or may not give definitive answers. We are stressed out and heartbroken at the thought of her having a serious issue. As of now, we all are going on with our normal lives and just hoping for this type of episode to not occur again. This was the only time that this happened outside of one slight episode of shakiness when she was very young that we thought may have had to do with Nexgard. However, in that experience, all she had going on was slight shakiness...nothing else and nothing like yesterday. I am just curious if anyone else has had a GSP and experienced anything like this? Is it possible for it to have been a toxin that didn’t affect her blood levels? We are trying not to worry and instead, just enjoy our life together but it is hard. Sorry this is so long of an entry. Thank you for your time and sharing of any similar experience. It is most appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Brunniebabe likes this.
    I’m sorry I can’t be of any help, I haven’t experienced anything like you describe.
    I’m wondering as it has taken me a while to reply then you may already have a prognosis along with treatment.
    If you get chance to update your post it may help someone in the future along with letting us know how you are getting on
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It could literally be anything. It's good that the bloods ruled out any nasty infection.

I've seen puppies under 12 months have a fit that has literally been a one-off and they've lived a long and healthy life, but, of course, there are many conditions that it could be

Good luck and fingers crossed she's over it now - never to be seen again
  5. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    Hello @CMK1216 welcome to Breedia and sorry to hear your bad news and what happened and in my opinion Colleen definitely neuro and your dog sounds like it had a seizure...years back my mom was brought a Yorkshire terrier and he was named Brandy..he was ok for the first year and in to the 2nd year his legs was shaking badly and we tried to touch him..regarding helping him and it made the issue worse...it would only occur now and again and he would be fine once it finished it's episode...i'm totally surprised the vet didn't pick this up straight away :)

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/health-and-care-issues/how-to-recognize-and-handle-dog-seizures
  6. CMK1216

CMK1216 New Member

Name:
    Colleen
    There is no prognosis as of now. If I get one, I can definitely update. Thanks for your time.
  7. CMK1216

CMK1216 New Member

Name:
    Colleen
  8. CMK1216

CMK1216 New Member

Name:
    Colleen
    Thank you for your reply. I sure hope it never happens again as well!
  9. Miltoid

Miltoid New Member

Name:
    Milt
    GSP's are susceptible to epilepsy. It is not life threatening, but if they have an episode you need to hold them to prevent injury. If they have an extended episode they could overheat. The only available medication causes lethargy and is only used in extreme cases. Talk to your vet. This will undoubtedly happen again.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Miltoid - you must never hold a dog during an epileptic seizure - if they are in danger of hurting themselves by banging into anything during an episode you just move them slightly away from it, and then do not touch them until the episode is over.

Your comment "The only available medication causes lethargy" is incorrect, as is the comment that it is only used in extreme cases. An epileptic dog will have to be medicated if they have frequent seizures in a short period, and they will then have to be medicated for life.

And yes, I actually do know what I am talking about.