Questions before buying Frenchie from breeder Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Waj, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Waj

Waj New Member

Name:
    Wendy

Questions before buying Frenchie from breeder

Hi looking at purchasing a frenchie. I have some questions since I have never purchased a dog from a breeder.

1. Is it common practice for breeders to breed more than one breed of dog at their facility.

2. Do breeders do their own vaccinations and if so how can i be certain they are done?

3. Do they give references for their previous purchasers or hos can I tell the breeder is reputable.

Thank you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    1. Breeders do sometimes have more than one breed, but if they had puppies available from several breeds, warning bells would sound for me.
    2. Breeders do not do their own vaccinations - they have to be given by a vet. Sometimes a puppy will have already had its first vaccination before being sold. All puppies must be microchipped and recorded when sold. The microchip can be implanted by a vet or a trained breeder/implanter.
    3. a) They are unlikely to provide references, but they may show you a license, or introduce you to someone who is happy with their puppy. The majority of breeders who show their stock, and breed the best they can, will be members of at least one breed club. Membership of a breed club means signing up to a code of ethics that is higher than the standard Kennel Club code. You can read the code of ethics by referring to the breed club website.
    3.b) You can check for their name on the Kennel Club list of Assured Breeders. This list can comprise both breeder/exhibitors and commercial breeders, but it will tell you that the health and conditions in which the stock is housed, and the owner's standard of record-keeping, has been inspected a KC Inspector, and found to be of a good to high standard.
    I do hope this helps. Well done on trying to be wise before the event. Frenchies are sooo popular at present that you may need to choose your breeder first, and be prepared to wait for a puppy.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I believe in certain countries one is allowed to vaccinate own dogs with the exception of the ‘rabies’ vaccine which has to be done by vet or won't be recognised.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oops. My comments apply to dogs bred in the UK. Forgot to check whether the poster was sited abroad!
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    In the US breeders can do their own vaccinations and microchips too. Not sure about rabies. I actually think anyone can do it themselves as far as vaccinations
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Easily done, it would help if they added what country they are from.
  8. Waj

Waj New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    Apologies, live in the USA. Thanks for all your answers. Greatly appreciated.
  9. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    And don't let them try and bullshit you that a rare colour costs more, there's no such thing!