What colors ? Questions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by Matthias05, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Matthias05

Matthias05 New Member

Name:
    Maltapom

What colors ?

Hey good afternoon y'all

Im new here.

Ive recently cultivated the interest in breeding poms. Like with other breeds that i have bred, i strive to provide the best. One of the questions i can get myself answered over google, seemingly, is how to manage to produce certain colors with these little fur balls. Most ive found online is very vague and not conclusive to the least.

Currently we stand at 3 poms. 1 Tri boy , 1 merle girl and a white girl. We are looking to add another 3 in october. Uncertain on what colors to introduce however due to this question.

Can anyone shed some light ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am not a fan of breeding for colour, as health and breed type are far more important. In the UK, solid coloured and shaded Poms are usually preferred to particolours, and merles are not a permitted colour. As KC breeders should be adhering to the breed standard, and this is a UK site, you are not likely to get any help with the more exotic colours. You may get more info from an American breed club site, or by joining a Breed Club in your country - Malta?.
    (I presume that you are aware that there can be serious health implications by mating Merle to Merle, or Merle to a merle carrier?)
  4. Matthias05

Matthias05 New Member

Name:
    Maltapom

Apologies but i thought it was a given that health and breed type comes before color. I referred to color here as the aesthetic value, coming into second position over health and standard.

Yes im aware of the health implications breeding merles however im having my current male and the one coming in october tested for the merle gene, so if present, will not breed my female merle. If only one from the couple is merle or carries merle gene then the puppies will be as healthy as any other colors.

My question is in relation to. What color parents do you breed to achieve a particular color. I may be considering getting solid colours in october, hence my question :)
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I cannot answer you as the breed I had only produced the colour of the dams/sire. So breeding red/red only produced red, black/black only produced black, and black and tan/black and tan only produced black and tan.

Those were the only three colours in that breed.

But, I would be interested to know why you want specific colours in your breed. Is it because certain colours are more desirable and therefore cost more?
  6. Matthias05

Matthias05 New Member

Name:
    Maltapom
    But, I would be interested to know why you want specific colours in your breed. Is it because certain colours are more desirable and therefore cost more?

Its for more reasons than one. Ive always been fascinated by colors/markings on any dog breed, even when i bred american staffordshires and american bullies. I see that once reaching the ideal standard of dog, the color is the cherry on the cake to complete the awesome standard achieved.

To add to the above we all have favorite colors also. Her in Malta, for example the most common color of poms is the red/brown one which i personally am not a fan of to the least. Only recently am i seeing some sable pups for sale. The hype for poms here is still considerably newish. And unfortunately like with many breeds, locally, they mix other small breeds when breeding to make a quick buck. Its very common to find poms for sale here for 400-500 euro, which end up weighing well upward of 3kg, sometimes even up to 7kgs. Historically, it was common to add the chihuahua to a pom, then puppies from this litter back to pom making the puppies barely recognisable from a real pom. I tell these apart from the apple heads and longer snouts which they inherit from the chihuahuas side however.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Whatever the hype is for for newish favourite colour trends, either a Pomeranian is a Pomeranian is or is one that has been mixed with another breed for the current trend in colours/size. In which case they are not pure Pomeranians.

But they are more money to the breeder for "special" and "unusual" colours.

Sorry, but going back "historically" to Poms being mixed with Chihuahuas, will not make these "special" coloured Pomeranians true registered coloured.
  8. Matthias05

Matthias05 New Member

Name:
    Maltapom

Completely 100% agreed - i think i was very clear and nowhere did i imply that i want to follow suit to achieve certain colors. But having gone through the official registry recognised colors of poms, my question is in reference on how to achieve those particular colors..
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    As stated, we do not (officially) have the same range of colours in the UK. There was a US site that I have used as a reference previously which did give a range of colour expectations, but I'm very sorry - I can't find it again.
    While I was looking, I came across a social network group - (the usual Facey one that we shouldn't mention) - Pomeranian Colours and Patterns and Coat Colour Genetics. I think you might be able to get more help by applying to join that group.
  10. Matthias05

Matthias05 New Member

Name:
    Maltapom

oh wow.. thats exactly the kind of info i was looking for . thank you so very much :)
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello - do I call you Matthias or Matt? No, you did not imply that you wanted to produce certain colours, but you say in your OP that you had checked with Google [Big Mistake as Google is not The Expert] how to manage to produce certain colors.

When I mentioned colours in my message #4 - I used to breed Griffons. Griffon Bruxellous [the mostly known rough Griffons] with the smooth known as Petit Brabançon. But there were still only the three colours, red, black, and black and tan.

No mixes.

But unlike Smooth Coat (shorthaired) and the Long Coat (longhaired) Chihuahas, both of which being classed as separate breeds, rough Griffons and smooth Griffons were, and as far as I know still are, classed and registered as just one breed. And both rough and smooth Griffs could be the same colour.

Another but - you could breed two rough [or two smooth] Griffons and get either what ever comes out!