Puppy food Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Heather Barcoe, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Heather Barcoe

Heather Barcoe New Member

Name:
    Hev

Puppy food

So I’ve asked my breeder when my pup was 2 weeks old to have him on pedigree puppy food as that’s what I wanted him to eat.
    She agreed with this and informed me that she was feeding him pedigree.
    To find out he has an upset stomach and straining due to different foods.
    As she has only just come forward and said he’s been on hero puppy food for 6 weeks but I think he’s been on this the entire time.
    How long will it take for him to adjust to pedigree as it’s been 5 days now and still runny poos.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    If you mix in a little pumpkin that will help his belly. Not pumpkin pie filling but just canned pumpkin. Not sure how much though as I don’t know how big your pup is. I’d imagine you could look it up online
  4. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Can i query what you said about him being on pedigree food at 2 weeks? I'm no dog expert, but wouldn't a puppy be still on mother milk for at least 4 weeks, before being put on solid food?
    But i hope he's alright regardless.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Can I ask why you have chosen to feed your puppy on Pedigree puppy food? It is your choice of course, but Asda Hero puppy is only rated 0.6 out of 5 by All About Dog Food. Pedigree puppy food ranks even lower at 0.1 out of 5.
    You can check out the food value of the majority of pet food brands on,
    www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk
  6. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev

I’m not saying he’s on puppy food at 2 weeks, i inquired with her what food I wanted him on when he was 2 weeks old, yes he was still feeding off his mum.
  7. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev

Because I’ve read up on the ingredients of hero which contains kitten food in it I believe. & pedigree being a known brand and this being my first ever pup I wanted what was best for him. Which I presumed was the case of pedigree.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And because this is your first ever pup and you believe the advertisements about Pedigree, you think this is the best food.

Well it is not.

But, your new puppy who is just eight weeks old, and you want the best for him, how come the breeder has only just come forward and said he has been on Hero puppy food for 6 weeks?
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka likes this.
    I did give you a link to pedigree in your previous post on puppy food, because a brand is well known doesn't necessarily mean its good.

Pedigree chum used to be well known for going in one end and strait out the other.
    If you want to feed wet food I’d look at a good quality like Naturediet, Natures Menu, Natures Harvest, Forthglade, WAINWRIGHTS trays etc.
    Butchers tripe tins are better than pedigree.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    All the Butchers canned range are very good.

However, back to the problem, it sounds like he had a drastic change of food. I'd be tempted to put him back on Hero for a while until his digestion settles back down. Once it has, slowly introduce any new food you choose to use. You should find he has an easier transition over to new food at that point
  11. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    Probably because I told her he was at the vets due to bleeding when he poos. And they said it was an upset stomach and straining. So she only told me yesterday after I’ve had him for 1 week. Which I’m fumming about.
  12. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Ah ok, you'll have to excuse me, sometimes I don't understand things that a being said correctly. Sorry.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and Chris B like this.
    When changing food you need to do it gradually, by only adding a tiny bit of the new food to the first meal, a wee bit more of the new food to the second meal,until eventually, by the end of the week or so, you are feeding only the new food.
  14. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev

I understand the process but to be told he’ll be on pedigree what I wanted him on to only being informed yesterday he’s been on hero has wound me right up. Even though it isn’t my fault he’s got an upset stomach, it’s hers because she should of been honest with me.
  15. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    I agree, the breeder should've known better than to mislead you like that!
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Poos with bright red blood-like jelly in it, twice in five days, does not sound like an upset stomach and straining. Blood in a poo is blood. Not jelly-like. And not only twice in five days.

Nor is it normal to tell a breeder when the puppy is just two weeks old what you want him weaned/fed on.

Is the breeder a legitimate registered breeder or a BYB?

And I cannot help thinking that for a first time ever puppy owner, especially with all the questions you have posted since he was born, that perhaps that breed was not for you.
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Did the breeder worm the puppies if so what with and last date when wormed.
    Blood in poo can also be a sign of worms, hence why you were advised to take a poo sample to the vet.

I agree with Malka that it is not customary, for prospective owners to tell the breeder what they want pup weaned/fed on, usually breeders will give a few days supply /information of what they have been feeding, then its up to the owner if they choose to change it, once puppy has settled in.
  18. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    Why do I feel like I’m being shouted at because of the food I want him on. I’ve spoken to a lot of people about food and they have agreed pedigree.
    I will be looking into better food because I do want what is best for him!!
    No they are not registered breeders apparently it was an accident the dog got caught.
    He hasn’t bleed anymore and his poos are fine.
    I’m unsure when last wormed I will give them a message.
    I’ve grew up with staffy so I do know more about the breed of this type of dog than any other.
    But for the breeder mishaps I’m now trying to figure out and sort out all this on my own because she lied to me.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You are not being shouted at Heather. You have posted almost non-stop questions about your new puppy which, you have no idea about how to cope with.

Lots of people agree Pedigree food? Lots of people have no idea whether food is good or bad, but oh yeah, Pedigree. Great company that publicize lots and lots and lots.

Your breeders were not registered. You bought a puppy from BYB - what do you expect?
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    You asked about food and were advised that Pedigree wasn’t recommended, but if you’re happy that your pup is looking well and healthy, it’s entirely up to you what you feed.
    Should you decide to change Look out for high percentages of named meat on the label, as well as other named ingredients other than just "derivatives".
  21. Heather Barcoe

Name:
    Hev
    I will be going on the link provided for the best food for him.