Pooping! Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Margo8478, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478

Pooping!

Max is 4 months old now. Potty training wise he is doing really well, holds it all night and during the day he is good too, I’m home most of the day so that’s probably why he isn’t having accidents and when I do leave it isn’t for very long or I take him with me EXCEPT in the am I go running for about 30-60 min. Before I go running he has an hour from the time we wake up to the time I leave for the run to pee and poo and before I head out the door I take him out to pee, but when I get back from my run, he always leaves me a nice little poop surprise in the house. I figured that hour from wake up to when I leave is plenty of time for him to poop, in fact I would think he would have to after holding it all night. Will he grow out of this? How can I get him not to poop in the house when I run? This is the only time of day he does this, otherwise no accidents. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Did you see him doing a poo during that time.
  4. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Not before I go run, I always assumed he pooped when we woke up or sometime after, I leave the slider open for the dogs while I’m having my tea. I only see him pee before we run.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Ah so Vee, you are thinking he could have pooped before she leaves for her run ! ?
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC, Malka and Chris B like this.
    It could be that he is not going before you leave.
    You need to stay out with him and wait for him to poop, (keep him on lead if need be) with my pups, the peeing always was quick, but there was a lot of walking around and finding just the right spot before the pooping, getting them walking, even taking him for a little walk can help get things moving and definitely shortly after eating is prime time for them needing to empty.
  7. My Immigrant Doag

My Immigrant Doag New Member

Name:
    Christopher
    How about taking your critter for a run with you? Like people, activity stimulates a trip to the potty, and you could have a great running partner and give Max his exercise at the same time. Perhaps the option of a long lead, but to rein him in if necessary with others?. The first run or two may be a little awkward, but Max will catch on quickly. My Malinois mix got the pace of my walk after a week or so with firm but kind control, and I have picked up my pace. What used to be 40 minutes disappears into an hour and a half plus and you will both get more out of the experience. With Max at four months this is another opportunity to bond with your "little battle buddy" :eek:) Its a gift
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    This puppy was only 4 months old when the OP wrote this. Although a puppy of this age can take approximately 20 minutes of exercise, I feel that regular jogging would be better left till he is just a little older.
  9. My Immigrant Doag

Name:
    Christopher
    Good point. Perhaps she can incorporate walks and add the jogging when the dogs is up to sped?
  10. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Chris B likes this.
    I would love to run with Max but he is only 4 1/2 months old. The plan is for him to be my new running buddy once he gets the all clear from the vet but that won’t be for another year or more lol.
  11. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I’m probably going to jinx it but shortly after I posted this originally he had stopped pooping in the house! I have a really large yard but in the winter I block off most of it with gates cause of the mud and also cause Max was so little then I didn’t want him having full access to the yard. Well it got warmer and the yard dried up so I opened up the yard for the dogs and I think that now that he has a large place to run with the other dogs when I wake up,he gets things moving internally and so he must be pooping in the yard now. Keeping my fingers crossed this keeps up!
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hopefully you have not jinxed it, but knowing how Tikva "performs" when she wakes and I let her out of her crate, she rushes through to be let out to pee what seems like litres and litres, then checks her mail in the yard, and after all that she is ready for her morning poo.

It seems like the exercise gets it moving. So...
    [​IMG]
    that Max keeps it up!
  13. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    I totally jinxed it! He pooped in the house yesterday evening! Haha
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  15. My Immigrant Doag

Name:
    Christopher
    With my critter I take her for a walk after supper, at which time she does both and then first thing in the morning when she does both again . I feed her after her walk in the AM, and again about 4-5pm at work. When we get home we have her walk and she does # 1 and 2 again. If you cannot get a full walk at least give Max 10 min of walk

Perhaps this schedule would work for your Max?