grass eating General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by grimreaper, Mar 28, 2019.

1. grimreaper

grimreaper New Member

Name:
    Benjamin

grass eating

Does anyone Mal love to eat grass, acorns, worms, just about anything. He is well nourish good food. He is overweight and have cut back his food but he has always enjoyed eating grass. Just added two new pups and they do the same thing. Any thought?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    In the Spring I feel as if I am exercising cows rather than Beagles! Their poo can be like a string of beads when they eat that spiky woodland grass, but they seem to have a taste for the lusher varieties too. I have to be careful that they don't get those semi-fermented clumps that have fallen from the mower - Merry loves them, but I dread to think what that would do to her guts. I don't have any trouble with worm eating though, they are quite content with rabbit poo - and occasionally worse!

ps. Although my dogs can digest a lot of things that we would find repellent, they have never tried to eat acorns. Acorns contain a type of tannin which is toxic to dogs. I would definitely stop your Mals from eating them.
  4. grimreaper

grimreaper New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    thanks for the heads up
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    All of my dogs used to eat grass, it seems to be more seasonal, as if the grass tastes better in the spring they especially like the big thick pieces of sweet grass.
    Some used to eat it and then stand there and heave until it came up, others were fine, sometimes I would see it in their poo.
    I’ve never had any that eat worms, but horse and fresh cow poo was on the menu.

I didn’t realise at first but I remember many years ago, a pup coming indoors and his tummy was like a balloon when I went outside I found he had got into a bag of fermented grass, I rang the vet in a panic and he suggested giving him small amount of salt, omg! I have never smelt nothing like it when he pood it out it was so bad OH had to clean it all up.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    One of the disadvantages of exercising on sports fields is that they are able to grab the clumps which have fallen from the mower. Ed has never been a typical Beagle scavenger - just an occasional morsel of horse poo - but our walks become so s l o w when he needs to find a particular variety of grass to nibble. Merry did come with a health warning, and she is dreadful debris gobbler. I'm sure would eat rubbish till she popped. She trails a longline, which I can step on, but you need telescopic vision to spot all the temptations.
  7. grimreaper

grimreaper New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    Thanks