Akita or Malinois Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by K91307, Apr 27, 2019.

1. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan

Akita or Malinois

Hi
    I am looking to bring in either a Malinois or Akita in the upcoming months. I have done extensive research on both breeds and I understand the pros and cons that come with them. However I just need help on deciding which breed. I would like a dog that will be able to protect my family and will be good with kids. I don’t mind a dog that needs a lot of exercise. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am wondering why does the hypertext word Malinois links to a zombie T shirt advert? Surely you don't need protection from zombies?

If you have done extensive research, you will know that both these breeds need experienced homes, and a commitment to training - not just a willingness to provide them with a lot of exercise. I am always worried by the word protection, especially when you also mention, 'being good with kids'. Where there are children - and their visiting friends - to be weighed in the decision, a lot depends on the age of these kids. I would suggest that whichever breed you choose, a puppy which has been bred in a calm family environment would be preferable to one that has been bred for protection purposes.
    The choice of breed depends on what appeals to you, and the way a dog looks always has a major part in this. Both breeds tend to be suspicious of strangers, but are quite different in their make and shape - and also in their coat care. The American Akita is heavier and stronger, while the Malinois usually has higher drive and sharper responses. I can only suggest that you visit one or two breeders and spend some time with these two breeds before making your decision.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Have you previously had a dog/s. If the answer is no than neither of these breeds would be appropriate for a first time dog owner. Akitas are usually not breed specifically for protection, it’s just in their dna to guard their pack and be suspicious of strangers. Being as you put this in the Malinois section I’d guess that’s the direction you’re leaning, I’ve not much knowledge of these dogs, but I think the Akita is the calmer dog of the two.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I echo what who owns who has said.

If you do go for either of these breeds, carefully research the breeders and choose the one who breeds for good temperament rather than looks.

So many of both these breeds end up in rescue or under the needle simply because they have proved too much to handle for well intentioned owners who find they can't cope.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    You could not have picked two breeds more opposite, Chalk and Cheese comes to mind. They’re really is no comparison between the two.
    What exactly are you looking for in a dog perhaps that is the better place to start?
  7. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Hm I don’t know why it was linked to that very strange. And by protection dog I meant a dog that is able to bark when someone is outside and if need be protect the family if the situation arose .
  8. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan
    Yes I have owned dogs before. I have owned a german shepherd and a Doberman. So far really I can’t decide. It’s a very hard decision ahaha
  9. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan
    So mainly I just want a dog that will be good around kids, loyal, and if necessary it can protect the family. I’m not too fussed about the shedding. However I have read that akitas are harder to train than a malinois.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    There are two types of Mals the showline are usually easier to manage than the working lines as they don’t have such a high prey drive.

The working Mals are very often bred purely on their ability to do "bite work" such as schutzhund and IPO sport, police/ military work ect: and really need to be worked.

I can honestly say that my Akitas very rarely barked, one was fine with kids the other was not happy around younger kids, so when my son had friends round he was put away.

They are definitely not collies/labs/Gsds and need slightly different handling, but they need a confident and firm hand, correction based training doesn't work, It needs to be positive training but with clear communications of what is expected and acceptable and not.

They get bored very easily, and wonder what’s in it for and have a very low tolerance for repetition, if they think it's a waste of time to "sit" or "stay" one more time, they will simply not do it’ most don't do balls or fetch, might the first time you throw it, but if you throw it away again you obviously don't want it!
    It’s a case of every day regular short training sessions.
    Depending on the dog, there is every possibility you would need to be vigilant of other dogs, as Akitas are known to be strange dog aggressive and could be limited as to some of the places that you can take them.

Before deciding you would be best to visit shows some SchH clubs / ect and visit /talk to breeders.
  11. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan
    Wow thanks for the detailed response. Well it seems that the Akita might be a bit easier in the sense that it doesn’t need as much excersise. However the malinois is more friendly with kids. I guess I’ll go with the Mali then.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    How old are your kids?
  13. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan
    The youngest is 5 so they aren’t too young. I will definitely teach them how to behave around the dog.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Not necessarily , temperaments can vary depending on breeding and environment and within each litter, so there are no guarantees, it is important whatever breed you choose that you go to a reputable breeder explain what you are looking for, a good breeder should point you in the right direction as to which puppy is most suited for you.
  15. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan
    I will 100% do that. Is there any other breeds that could suit my needs?
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    Yes. You said
    and
    Although you seem to be fixated on either a Malinois or Akita, there are other breeds who will bark when someone outside, and who, if need be, will protect you and your family, and who are loyal and good around children.

Have you ever considered a different breed?
  17. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan
    Yes I have. So I’ve also always liked huskies. Whilst I know they aren’t great guard dogs aha, the whole family likes them. Also I’m sure their looks are enough to scare anyone off. Anyone know what they’re like to own? All I know is that they’re crazy stubborn and need tons of exercise. Also I do like some of the mastiff breeds but I don’t really know much about them.
  18. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I think your best bet would be to attend several shows meet the breeds you are interested in talk to breeders and take it from there.
  19. K91307

K91307 New Member

Name:
    Hasan
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yep that’s what I’ll do. So I’ve narrowed it down to the husky, Akita, Belgian Malinois. I’ll start to meet some breeders and find out which breed is best for me
  20. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Well you have had lots of excellent advice & it’s great you have asked, for me that means you care about the dog you choose & how it’s going to fit into your life.
    From the 2 breeds you mention I only have experience of a Japanese Akita
    They have lots of wonderful traits, but, can be challenging at times
    Given that they have a natural trait of protecting I would certainly NOT encourage it any further
    It would be great to hear your decision & this group is a wonderful place to ask for advice
  21. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    When I meet people who become interested in Akitas after meeting mine I do not sugarcoat what they are like. My dogs are very well behaved, for Akitas, and both have good temperament. I always tell them all the bad/hard to deal with traits first, if they are still interested I’ll tell them what I love about them. My dogs have both very nice Akita shape as well as color and markings, so they draw a lot of attention. They look very impressive, and I don’t usually see them as being imposing.. my vet also likes their temperament. I feel like I got lucky with their breeder.

I met a male Akita yesterday, and he was much more skittish than my dogs. I also met someone a couple days ago and he said “Akitas are a lawsuit waiting to happen...”! I think a few bad apples give the breed a bad reputation, same with pit bulls.