Dna testing General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Challis87, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James

Dna testing

Hi guys random question how long does dna testing take to get a result and how expensive is it as since ive been a member i have seen numerous posts of people doubting the full breed of their frenchies and say they are getting them tested and we never see the results

Also does anyone have any idea how much health testing is for a frenchie as after buying rocco from a friend and told he had an amazing bloodline and having names of well known dogs thrown at me, there is something still not quite right, and think i may have been led down the rabbit hole a little
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Rocco is certainly looking a pure bred Frenchie on the photos you have been posting.
    However, there is a list of general dna tests and prices on the Bought By Many website.

Https://boughtbymany.com/news/artic...ow-much-unearth-your-dogs-health-and-heritage

The cheapest breed check test is the Wisdom Panel. The current edition is Wisdom Panel 3, but the Wisdom 2 still seems to be available at £67 on Amazon, and you may find it cheaper if you shop around. I was lucky enough to win one of these kits in a competition, and used it on my puppy farm bred boy. (At that time they could be bought for about £40!). It was simple to do, and the results were back quicker than I expected. Our thread about using it is half way down the first page of the Members Forum - Wisdom Panel DNA Test, dated 3.12.18.
    I believe the Embark test is the most comprehensive, but it is well over £100. Unless you really need to know what colours your dog may be carrying, or to worry yourself about possible future health concerns, I think this would probably be more complex than you need.
    As you are not going to be breeding from Rocco, I don't think you need to do this though.
  4. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Hi carol thanks for you informative response the dna test wasnt for rocco just a general query as obv we have had at leats 2 little frenchies the one with the longer snout which didnt see the parents and met them at mcdonalds or whatever it was , and the one which we thought maybe a boston terrier cross both said they was gonna get the dogs tested and we never heard anything not that it matters to us or themselevs as long as the dog is loved, just wanted to know if what we suspected eas right

I know rocco is 100 percent as seen both parents , the health test its more the fact i have been told his dad is magicman an american import and then it changed to his grandad etc and then a different dog, i think he may have to have his nostrils worked on eventually as they seem very closed to the likes of bronsons althohgh i know he has had surgery.

Im just starting to think my friend although was an unplanned littler so ive been led to believe i think was more about the pound notes than the health of the dogs if that makes sense although rocco is not poorly i dont think the same process was adopted that a responsible breeder would follow
  5. TanyaK

TanyaK New Member

Name:
    tanya kharus

I personally use UC Davis or Animal Genetics to test for DM, CMR1, HUU, and JHC. These are over $100 to test one animal. Its very simple to do as well. You can request sample swabs to be sent to your home through their websites. You brush those swabs on your pups cheek. Send that swab in along with a check and in 2-3 weeks you will have results. While genetic testing certainly provides great information, a thorough physical exam is also very valuable and should be done as well.
    Here are links to where I have done testing before!
    https://www.animalgenetics.us/
    https://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/

Hope this helps!

TanyaK
    Frenchie Lover
  6. Bigjule111

Bigjule111 New Member

Name:
    George Medina
    Challis87 likes this.
    I got mine done ...roughly 4 to 6 weeks , blood sample... I'll definitely post the results once they are in
  7. Bigjule111

Bigjule111 New Member

Name:
    George Medina
    Challis87 likes this.
    Here are my results Screenshot_20190520-102240_Gallery.jpg
  8. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    So pleased for you mate as i know was a worry at first not that it mattered because you all loved her but bet your gald you wasnt duped
  9. Joeysfrenchie

Joeysfrenchie New Member

Name:
    Joey
    I’m still trying to understand do all french bulldogs have bulldog in them ??
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't know, but I would think that it is likely if you go far enough back. The breed club, or a senior breeder/exhibitor would be the best person to ask.
    See, www.frenchbulldogclub.org/history/
    The Merle colouring is not recognised by either the UK or the US Kennel Clubs, as there is a genetic link to potential eye and/or hearing deformities. Two Merles should never be mated together - this applies to all breeds, not just to FB's.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  12. Joeysfrenchie

Joeysfrenchie New Member

Name:
    Joey
    Yea I dna tested my Merle pup and she has bulldog in her. Her tree actually says the dads grandparents one was frenchie and the other was bulldog
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The tree on the Wisdom Panel is only their way of showing the percentage of Bulldog dna, rather than the way an actual dog was bred. The 12.5% shown on the pie chart could just just as easily be the trace of Bulldog breeding from way back, and could possibly be behind all FB's.
    You should have had a scattergram type of page as part of your Wisdom result, which shows where your particular Frenchie's dna sits in relation to the the breed as a whole.
    The one I had for Eddie Beagle appears in the Members only section,
    www.forum.breedia.com/threads/wisdom-panel-dna-tests.18245/#9
    (The Wisdom Panel quote from @GsdSlave in post #3 is also relevant).
  14. Joeysfrenchie

Joeysfrenchie New Member

Name:
    Joey
    I would love to see it but it won’t let me
  15. Joeysfrenchie

Joeysfrenchie New Member

Name:
    Joey
    My wisdom panel pie chart says 12.5 bulldog 12.5 group dog which is French bulldog or bulldog it couldn’t tell for some reason and 75% French bulldog kind of confusing still
  16. Joeysfrenchie

Joeysfrenchie New Member

Name:
    Joey
    That her right now btw her ears are still fighting to stay up

Attached Files:

17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Joeysfrenchie I don't know why I posted this thread as Members Only, and you will probably have access when you have posted here a few more times, but I have copied the scattergram page that I referred to for you.
    Beag d'base.PNG
    You can see that Eddie's sample has virtually no connection to the General Dog population, (grey), or to the US Field samples, (bright blue). In spite of being a re-homed, puppy farm bred, hound, Ed's dna places him exactly on the border between US and UK show Beagle stock. Surprisingly, this is exactly what his pedigree shows him to be! There has been a considerable overlap of breeding between the two countries since the 1960's, and the majority of UK show Beagles do have a large percentage of American breeding.