Looking for some advice Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by riordaaf, May 19, 2019.

1. riordaaf

riordaaf New Member

Name:
    Adam

Looking for some advice

Hi everyone. Glad to have stumbled upon this forum

My wife and I have just been cleared to adopt a 5 month old mix. Her exact genetic make up is unknown, but the general theory seems to be that she has a fair amount of Malinois in her. Unfortunately it's not a very common breed in the country we live in, so I was hoping if I posted some pictures, I could see if you all agreed with that theory. Hearing your thoughts either way would help give us an idea as to what to expect in terms of her growth going forward.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Hi and welcome.

She certainly has the look so I'd say there is a fair amount of Mal in her. She is lovely. What's her name?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Adam - welcome to Breedia from Tikva and me :039:

Your pup is lovely - maybe there is some GSD also in her background?
  5. riordaaf

riordaaf New Member

Name:
    Adam
    Hi Guys, thanks for the responses

Not exactly sure how to romanize her name. In Korean it's 이니, I think the closest would be "Inee"

Thanks for the confirmation, and we had considered the same thing Malka. We will be picking her up next weekend.We have been trying to think about things like how much to feed her, based on how much a Malinois would eat and then scale it back a bit as she seems a bit smaller. At around 5 months old and around 11kgs/24lbs currently, does around a cup and a half (300g or so) of food a day seem fair? Her foster mom has just been leaving a large bowl of food out for her to eat throughout the day, but we want to try get her on a set eating schedule.
  6. ShawnM

ShawnM New Member

Name:
    Shawn
    With those paws, beautiful face and mask I would tend to agree that she has some Malinois in her. I happen to live/work in Korea (Daegu) as well and have only seen Belgian Malinois as working dogs and agree they are not too common.

I do have 3 Belgians at home in the Philippines (I'm American) and they are lovely dogs if raised correctly. Very high energy dogs that need play and to be around their human family to be socialized as a family pet.

My big boy can put his paws on my wife's shoulders and give her a big kiss, so I would assume your girl will be big and will be a bit of an eating machine.

Much respect for adopting a mix and keep us informed as your bring her home!

Shawn
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    All I could get was "Ini" but I could not find what it means in English. None of the online dictionaries I use helped.

Regarding feeding, I have never had a big dog so have no idea how much she would need. Hopefully somehow who knows more than I will be along soon to advice you. However, I do not believe in free feeding, but that would be rather difficult for me as I am a raw feeder.:)
  8. riordaaf

riordaaf New Member

Name:
    Adam
    Hi Shawn

Thanks for all the tips. Interesting to hear you are in Korea as well. I have been in Daejeon almost 5 years now. Waited this long to get a dog here, made sure I am properly settled in a decent sized place. Can't wait to pick her up,
  9. jschrest

jschrest New Member

Name:
    Jenn
    My 5 month old GSD eats 3 1/2 cups of Fromm daily, half in the morning, half in the evening. My 2yr old GSD/Husky gets 5 cups of Fromm daily (crazy high energy levels, he never stops moving). My senior gets 2 1/2 cups because old age and recent surgery has turned her into a good year blimp. Our foster is a 10 month old Mal, weighs 32lbs, and he gets 3 cups a day, and is always looking for more.

1 1/2 cups seems a little on the short side. But every dog is different, different calorie needs based on activity levels, as well as the quality of food being given. What type of food are you planning on feeding?