Computer problems General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pork1epe1 likes this.

Computer problems

My computer has been hacked and I am using a loan one from Effi while he sorts out mine. Today is Shabbat and tomorrow is Shavuot [Feast of Weeks] so he will not be able to do any work on my computer until Monday the earliest. I do not remember my password and cannot access my emails but I hope this will go through as I have lost just about everything that was on my own computer.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Receiving you loud and clear. Hope it won't be long before everything's sorted and you're up and running again!
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I thought one of my tablets had been hacked last week, but it turned out to be because some kind of extra permission was needed by either Google or Amazon, (don't ask me!), to interfere with my emails. Why, when they have been working smoothly for the last two years, and why they can not explain these things in language that an OAP can understand - I don't know. Possibly a technicality, but in the end, I had to strengthen my password, and agree to their access to my emails, but all is well now.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    We had problems with our emails last week, OH had to update to outlook 2010 to sort it out.
    I’m also dreading next year as MS are stopping supporting windows 7 which I use, I have tried windows 10 and didn’t get on with it, so don’t know what will happen.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh Barbara @Pork1epe1 why am I complaining with you have just lost your Princess? But Breedia is the only site I can get on this loan computer. I cannot get into my email address on Thunderbird, nor my one on Gmail. And without those I cannot get into anywhere. Only Breedia let me in.
    @CaroleC I have no idea how to set this loan computer. Yes I am grateful to Effi to loan it while he took mine to sort whatever the problem was - but I cannot get into my quiz site or anywhere else because I can not get into my emails so everything is dead and what is not is in Ivrit and I do not even know what Effi has even used as a password to get into anything.

I have had to leave this loan computer on all the time, because I have no idea how to switch it off or switch it on. And it does not help when Effi screams at me because I do not understand what he is saying, and ignores what I say about the problem of the computer that he built for me, just as he has built all my computers.

He also gets annoyed with Tikva when she wants to be friends with him whereas he was great with Pereg - used to have long conversations with her whenever he was here.

Yes, I am very grateful to Effi for leaving me a loan computer, but it is all set in Ivrit so I cannot find anything. How I managed to get into Breedia I do not know, but that is all I can get.

Nothing else. No emails, no online news. Nothing. And of course I cannot watch television because it is now Shabbat and tomorrow is the Festival of Shavuot... and everything seems to being going Pete Tong these days.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not use outlook - no idea what it is, but Windows 10 is, in my opinion, the best so far. Yes it is different to W7 and it took me a day or two to get used to it, but having gone from XP to W7 to W10, I find it the best so far.

It is not W10 that has caused my current problem. Either my computer was hacked or... or what. That is what Effi has to sort out and fix.

Now I have to try and find what this booger of a loan computer can find for me.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @GsdSlave Oh dear. I am on Win7 with my laptop too!
    You can't do as much on an Android tablet as you can on a full system, but you can do most of your routine stuff, and it is so convenient to hold in your hand. They can be quite cheap to buy too.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Have you tried going into the help section and asking how to change language on which ever windows system the computer uses?

I know it's naughty, but I keep a list of all passwords I use. If I didn't, I'd never get into anything :)
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yes, but it is all in Ivrit and not really much help. Obviously I can read Ivrit but as this computer is only set in Ivrit and even though I have managed to get some things, either this PC does not like English or it does not like me. :mad:
    I know my passwords although like you, I do have a list written down in case of emergency. Not that I need them, as I got onto Breedia without a password, and there are only two sites where I actually have to enter a password to get in, But this loaned PC does not recognise them, nor can I get into any of my email sites to get them.

I really should not complain as at least I can get some things, and I am lucky that Effi loaned me and connected this PC so I was not left with nothing.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Eventually found something which this loan PC would not previously let me. I had tried to log into iHerb which is one of the two sites where I have to put in my password every time I visit it, but it did not want to know. Then it did the CAPTCHA wotsit only it was with nine pictures and asked to have similar things ticked. Like store fronts, traffic lights, various things. Do one and another comes up. And another, and another.

And then it did the usual log-in where I had to fill in my email address [which I can not get into on this PC] and my password, and BINGO - I got in but could not pay for things I wanted because Paypal does not recognise this PC.

How did we manage before computers and online shopping before such things existed? I well remember when the last [and only] time I went back to the UK, just after the Gulf War, my son had a mobile phone the size of a house brick, and how amazed I was at such an incredible thing.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I just find windows 7 easy to use and ample for I want.
    Been looking at other alternatives to MS, but will have to get sons help as I haven’t a clue.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hmmmm - I cannot be as computer illiterate as I thought I was, as I have downloaded Thunderbird and gotten into my main email account. I still cannot get into my Gmail account which is the one I use for my quiz site, so have to have a think about how to get round that.

Luckily Effi will wipe this loan computer when he gets it back so everything I have added to it will be gone in the ether.

@GsdSlave - W10 is surprisingly easy once you get used to it. But then I would say that would I not?! :D
  14. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    To be honest, I get on well with windows 10 too. Took a couple of days to find stuff, but once I found that if you typed control panel into the search, it became easy
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    When Effi took my PC which had XP Pro and loaned me one which had Windows 7 I hated it and swore at it for about a day and then called Effi to please put W7 on my PC as all of a sudden I "got" it.

I changed to W10 when it was first offered because Effi had been Beta testing it and advised me to do so, and everything is much easier to find once you know where to look. And I have been taming this loan PC, the only thing I can not get, yet, is back into my gmail account, but that is not really important at the moment.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    New computer needed, I'm afraid. :090: Effi had thought that something had interfered with the software, but it a part of the hardware - not that I understood what but he said it was connected to or a part of the motherboard.

So, I had a choice. Either he could fit an external what-ever-it-was, but being a part of the motherboard it was quite likely something else would go, and he could not replace the motherboard because the computer is about 5 years old...

...or he builds me a brand new computer.

The last few weeks it seems like everything that could go Pete Tong, has, although there are probably more things that will decide to prove me wrong.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Blimey. I've had my laptop about 8 years now and Dave's is about 6 years old. Both are still going strong.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Chris, I am virtually housebound and apart from seeing to Tikki and playing with her when she wants, I cannot really do much else. Television gives me a headache as apart from Sky news, everything else in English has subtitles in Ivrit and Russion, which are so distracting that I cannot concentrate on anything.

So I am on my computer almost from the time I get up until I go to bed, and it gets a heck of a lot of use. Far more than a normal home PC does, but it is really my only contact with the outside world. I do not have, or want, a smart phone or a tablet - just a PC that can cope with everything I do on it.

Yes Effi could replace the part that has gone by connecting an external something-or-other, but if that has packed up then quite probably other things will start to go. I am not prepared to have problem after problem, having to rely on Effi to loan me a PC and then having to find and set up everything again. Any computer he loans is one he has built using cannibalised parts and I am grateful to him for the loan.

Things go wrong at times. Some things last for years, and some things just last out their guarantee and then pack up.

Such is life.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Back again to an old-ish thread. So I had to pay Effi to build me a new computer, which I love. But. But. But. Since I had to let Pereg go to the bridge, I have never been able to play my music. And most is not on Youtube. Just hundreds of CDs on a shelf. My music, sitting waiting for me to play again.

And then I decided I wanted my music again and put an impossible to now get a CD in the tray. And it jammed. Would not play, could not get the tray open so I broke it. No, not the CD B"H but had to tear out the CD tray to get my CD out. And Effi is furious with me because he now has to do work to get and fit a new tray. I mean heck, I have to pay for it, he does not, but I had to get that CD out and the only way was to tear out the tray.

I have found a few things on Youtube but they are not the originals. And I so much want to get back to having my music on all the time after all these years.
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have noticed that very few new computers have a CD slot anymore. I play mine on a Sony Radio/CD player, but like the tapes that preceded them, they do seem to be dying out.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Do not forget that Effi builds my computers for me. They are not off-the-shelf ones. And trust me, they are not cheap but they are what I want.

I do have a DVD player that I suppose I could play my music on but as I sit here all the time I need the CD slot to work. And it was so high and it jammed. And yes, I tore out the tray.

Once upon a time, years before computers, I was listening to a programme on the radio. BBC4 I think. And I heard something and had to say how much I loved it. Long story short, they sent my snail mail letter to Hyperion, who sent it on to the pianist and somehow I got in contact with him and I got this CD. Marc-Andrè Hamelin Live at the Wigmore Hall. June 1994. And Marc-Andrè is Canadian I think.

This - is what had caught me and what I have found on Youtube. I am not sure if this is Marc-Andrè playing, but I think it was, and that is what I was trying to play. Sheer total magic and if you have a few minutes, please listen to it. If you do and get to the Carmen bit I think you will understand.

Sheer magic. And well worth having to pay for a new tray on my new computer. Magic. Sheer magic.