Rabbit and Dootie General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Rabbit and Dootie

Rabbit was the first toy I bought for my daughter - she was given it to her when she was anaethatised for her first hip surgery and it was given to her afterwards. She never let go of it for weeks afterwards and even though over the years I re-covered Rabbit numerous times, He was always with her from her first GA for her terrible hip surgeries and for years afterwards..

Dootie? Dootie was the name my son gave to his cot quilt which he kept, folded up when he grew out of a cot into a bed. And Dootie was what he asked for when he had the terrible fall 45' through the Synagogue roof.

This morning Amit helped get down some boxes and an old case full old photographs. No Rabbit but Dootie as new as it was when my son was born.

The box of photographs? Family ones that nobody but I know now who they are. Photographs of my paternal and maternal grandfathers before and then in the British uniform during WW1. Pictures of my parents as babies and then at school. Pictures of me and my twin and again she will not know which one is which but I do and nobody will know who the family pictures are who. Pictures of my children - but they would not want them even if I knew where to send them.

Many others but delight of delight, all the photographs of my Griffons and my puppies.

Nobody will want those but Amit wants my family photographs. I do not know why but...

Photographs of all my Griffons and puppies? Oh they were so perfect but they will no doubt go lost in times. And nobody will ever know who they were.

Maybe I should have thrown away/destroyed those photographs.

Maybe I still well.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Why not post a couple of your old Griffon photos on here? I would be interested in seeing them.
    When I eventually open my big box of photos, ( last flicked through in 1996), I may well put some of my oldies on. Their breeding could interest someone, sometime in the future. We could have a Historic Photo thread.
    I have photos files on my pc for Eddie and Merry's antecedents - obviously there are more photos of Merry's relatives, than there are of his - he only has one Ch. in his first three generations!
    Re. Family photos. These are a sweet sorrow, and evoke so many memories - good and bad. I have inherited a parcel of photos from my Mum - but unless they all get scanned onto a memory stick, who nowadays is going to want to store two large boxes of dogs, horses and persons that they hardly know? One day, I think it might be an idea to sub them down to a really basic record.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I think all old photo's are fascinating. All ours are now on a computer hard drive after scanning. It took forever, but I know when I'm gone, my kids will want them, but wouldn't want the hard copies. Those had to go when we moved and drastically downsized
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not have a printer/copier or whatever so cannot post anything,

I think I am going to burn all those photographs. Nobody will want them.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have no choice. I cannot save any photographs as I do not have a printer/copier so I am going to burn the lot.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chas has a printer copier in his cave, but I have photographed them to make copies. You have to keep very still though.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Before we had a scanner, that's what we did - photograph the photo's. They turned out surprising well to say that the old photo's weren't the best quality in the world
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Perhaps just toss them in the garbage as I think photo paper is bad/toxic to burn
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    So many photographs, so many family ones that nobody will know.who they were. I am probably the only one who knows who they were, and there are those, photographs of family that I remember but nobody else does.

Not pictures of my Griffs but old pictures of family who only I have. Who else has pictures pf my paternal and grand maternal grandparents when most of the others were lost in the Holocaust? And both paternal and maternal wearing British army uniform during WWI - and my paternal grandfather wearing Russian uniform before then?

I have them and I know who they were, but there were so many lost with no photographs and nobody left who ever remembered their names.

I do not know what to do with these photographs. Not talking about my Griffons but all these old family ones. I do not want to keep them - none of my family will want them.

There is nobody else. Nobody who would even know who those photographs were.

I can not just bin them. Like my old prayer books they will have to be buried. Just as some were buried with my Father and no doubt mine will be buried with me.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just thinking about Dootie. No idea why Daniel called it that - he never snuggled it but in those days it was just a lightweight cot quilt when babies were not tucked in with blankets. And when he went into a bed he wanted Dootie folded as a pillow.

When he had the fall through the synagogue ceiling, and someone got me to get me to the hospital, they said Daniel had been asking for Dootie even though he was barely conscious. My then neighbours had a key to my house so I called them and asked please go in to my son's room and get the folded cot quilt and please bring it to the hospital. But I never remembered having kept it until I saw it this morning.

I knew that Avigayal would not part with Rabbit but have no idea whatever happened to it. Dootie? I must have brought it here together with all the bedding I brought, but Daniel never asked for it after that diabolical fall.

So. Now I have it, together with a load of old photographs and I have done a Daniel. I have folded it and put it under my pillow but I will somehow have to sort out and decide what to do with the photographs.

Call me crazy if you want - my children have not wanted me for years but somehow, having found Dootie, I want it folded under my pillow just as Daniel did all those years ago.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    With the old photographs, Juli, have you thought about writing their names and what you remember of them on the backs of the photographs. If, by any chance, your family do decide they want them, they will know who they are. If not then maybe someone will take them for some kind of museum. I know we have requests here now and then for old photographs for various displays of olden days - especially the uniform ones as perhaps they may find their way to a war museum
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris - there are no living family members that I know of, and I have no idea where my children and sisters are, but they would not be interested in any of the photographs. I never knew many of the people as many were long gone before I was born, but I knew who they were from childhood stories about our family histories. So I must have seen those photographs many years ago. Why do I now have the photographs? When Father died and Mother got me to sort out his things, these were in the loft together with stuff Mother never knew existed. No ladder to get up into the loft so I did what Father must have done, found something to stand on and heave into the loft. Only he was quite tall and I am not, but I got up there and found things he had hidden there.

I must have used that box to keep photographs of my children and my Griffons and brought the box with me when I came here, which is why I still have it.

Mother never knew that Father had kept a photograph of a young woman he knew when he was in the army in WWII - sealed with sticky tape and in an envelope, also sealed, which said "The enclosed is of no interest to anyone, please destroy before opening". But of course I opened it and found the photograph, signed on the back "with fond memories of our time at Chelsea Hospital". And I remembered her, in uniform, visiting us when we were babies. Never let Mother see it though.

Did I destroy it? When I was informed that Mother had died, that was when I destroyed it.

I still have not checked all the photographs. Dootie had been wrapped round all of them. So I still do not know what photographs I have of my children let alone my Griffons. And I just cannot look any more.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think maybe I do not belong on Breedia any more. I will miss you all and wish you all the best from all my heart.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Why on Earth do you think that?
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sorry Chris, but much as I love Breedia, I can not cope with being accused of being ignorant any more.

So better I just go.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Nah, take a deep breath and carry on.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Deep breath - forget the box of photographs for the moment. They will still be there long after I have gone.

But I would have loved you all to see pictures of my Griffons - I bred them, helped deliver most of them, and they were so beautiful.
  19. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    As far as I can see no-one called you ignorant.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And raw goats milk cures everything.

Of course it does, and of course I am ignorant.

I wonder why I spend all those years studying and qualifying to be a registered medical doctor when a new member can call me ignorant and demands to know what "Are you a veterinarian, canine nutritionist, worked at all within the pet food industry? Have you studied dog food at all and what nutrition benefits different breeds? Or is all of your information coming from google?"

Years and years I studied to qualify as a medical doctor but of course I am just an ignorant person.

And raw goats milk cures everything.

Of course it does and of course I am ignorant.
  21. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Mik likes this.
    I have read @Mik posts several times and nowhere does she say that raw Goat’s milk cures everything and she did not call you ignorant.

Just because you happen to be upset by something someone said in retaliation to you being extremely rude to them in the first place, doesn’t justify you accusing them of things they never said.