Too thin?! Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Kaykay1, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Kaykay1

Kaykay1 New Member

Name:
    Louvia

Too thin?!

Hi all!!
    My belgian malinois of 9 months, Louvia, has always been thin since the day that we got her. But now she lost a few pounds and we can easily see her ribs and i don't really know what to do. She runs, swims in the lake, and poops seems fine. Any ideas if i should be concerned yet? 20190823_234652.jpg 20190823_235119.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    She does look too thin to me. How much does she eat?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Is she a pure-bred Malinois or could she be crossed with something like a
    Greyhound, as she is definitely thin for a 9 month-old Malinois.

What are you feeding her on and what does your vet say about her weight loss?
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    She does look thin. I would have her checked over by a vet.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Definitely have her checked by the vet.

There are any number of medical problems that could be affecting her.

What is her appetite like?
  7. Kaykay1

Kaykay1 New Member

Name:
    Louvia
    Hi all,
    Yes, she is a pure bred. When we got her, she was anxious and there was fur missing around her eyes. :( However it got better over time! She actually does seperation anxiety, but my boyfriend is with her often. We changed about a month ago from Acana to Blue buffalo because she had diarrhea and we thought it might be due to the chicken flavour. Last week i saw a worm in her poop, and went to the vet the next morning to pick up medication, but everything seemed fine afterward. She eats maybe a cup and ha half in the morning and then around 3 cups in the afternoon. I always make sure that she have food in her bowl.
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1547762347043.jpg_1547762358140.jpeg
  8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    If you just saw a worm in her poop LAST WEEK and she has had diarrhea... I suspect she is likely thin due to parasites. A breeder sold you a dog in that condition? She likely has some more parasites. You said you saw a worm and got meds... Did they take a stool sample?

She eats a ton so her being thin is really not right. Definitely needs more work up done.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  9. Kaykay1

Kaykay1 New Member

Name:
    Louvia
    I also forgot to mention that she drinks water like crazy and sometimes have vomiting.
  10. Kaykay1

Kaykay1 New Member

Name:
    Louvia
    Yup... not the best breeder eh! I was happy to take care of her. They didn't even took the time to examine my dog.. She still has a bit a diarrhea. I will go to the vet on Monday morning.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Make sure you tell them all your concerns.

Write a list before you go listing all of her symptoms and either read it out or give it to the vet. The more info the better.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on x