Breeding finding a suitable stud for small female Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Rosie&jess, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Rosie&jess

Rosie&jess New Member

Name:
    Jess

Breeding finding a suitable stud for small female

Hi all so looking for advice.
    We are looking to have a litter for my bitch hopefully next year . Currently going through the process of health checks . However I am starting to wonder if I am going to find a stud dog to suit her . As she is small and chunky only 28 cm high and a petite face . I am looking for a stud that is
    - KC reg
    - full health checks
    - Good nostrils
    - a normal size head ( most I have looked at look abnormally big )
    - small in height
    - standard colour

I am starting to wonder if I am expecting to much but surly there has to be some french bulldog stud that would suit her . Advice or recommendations greatly appreciated x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Contact a reliable breeder in your area through the French Bulldog Breed Club.
    The Breed Club site will show which health tests need to be carried out, and a good breeder/exhibitor will know whether there are males which might suit your bitch. In fact, it might be worth joining the breed club and attending a few of their events, it is always the best way of getting to know folk. Breed Club members sign up to a code of ethics, (which should be on the website), so they should be more reliable than a casual contact.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Are you sure that your bitch is large enough to breed? Is she from a specific line line that has and/or produced pups that will improve the breed? Because you say she is very small and your requirements for a stud dog are very specific.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I was anticipating that Jess would get the best advice from the FB breed club, even if the advice was that her frame would be too small to easily whelp a large headed puppy. Never a project to be approached lightly.
  6. Rosie&jess

Rosie&jess New Member

Name:
    Jess
    We are not first time breeders but have had a break due to family matters . However this is a my first french bulldog litter . She is still with in the set height for the breed just the lower end . However I just fell there’s a lot of crap about in honesty they all seem to have big heads, be well over the height or be daft colours . My grandparents used to breed french bulldog around 30 years ago so I just wonder if I like them to look traditional.

She is very well breed has some top lines in the UK and USA . We have been speaking with her breeder and she has spoken with a breeder she know who would be interested in let us use her stud dog as she doesn’t want to offer him to public stud yet . He’s had one litter previously and has been lightly shown with some success . We’re going to see him in a few weeks . Would just like there to be more options .
  7. Rosie&jess

Rosie&jess New Member

Name:
    Jess
    CaroleC likes this.
    We have been to a few breed shows judges really pleased with her . I have spoken with my vet who has wanted a puppy from her since he first saw her . He said he thinks she would be fine just as long we don’t have a stud dog that is stupid in size especially in the head .
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Has the prospective stud dog been used before? And if he has, does he throw large headed pups? Because it takes two and if the stud has not previously thrown small puppies when mated to a small bitch, especially a maiden one, I would be very careful about future matings.