Tummy troubles Health

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Rae The Frenchie, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Rae The Frenchie

Rae The Frenchie New Member

Name:
    Lauren

Tummy troubles

Hi All,

Just after some advice, my Frenchie Rae is 8 months old now and has been fed ACANA Puppy food for 2 months now. Last Sunday (18th) we were up 7 times in the night as she was vomiting. I took her to the vets Monday morning and they gave her some antacids and said that they think she is just going to have a sensitive tummy. This week she has had Diarrhoea Monday most of the day and a little Tuesday night. Then she vomited in the car Wednesday, she hasn’t suffered car sickness for at least 3 months. Then tonight she was fast asleep on the sofa and she jumped up and walked to the end of the sofa and vomited on the floor. I don’t know how to help her or make her better and I don’t know if I’m just worrying too much. Any advice at all will be greatly received, I just want her to be settled. Thank you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would stop feeding the Acana until she has stopped being sick.
    Put her onto boiled white rice with lightly microwaved, (or steamed), white fish, and see if that stays down. If it does, you could try adding some scrambled egg as well. Boil fresh rice each morning, and only reintroduce her normal puppy food very gradually.

**If she continues to be sick on the fish and rice mix, I would take her back to the vet.**
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Also, how many meals do you split her food into.

My girl has a delicate digestion so is fed 4 times a day which seems to suit her best
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I agree with @CaroleC about boiled white rice and steamed white fish [or white chicken meat] but why still feed an eight month old on puppy food?

I am also concerned about the vets instructions "gave her some antacids and said that they think she is just going to have a sensitive tummy."

Did the vet do any tests to try to find out why your pup vomits and has diarrhoea? or give any explanation why your pup why this happens?
  6. Rae The Frenchie

Name:
    Lauren
    Thank you, I did try chicken and rice for a day or so until her belly went back to normal, I'll have to try it for longer and see how we go.
  7. Rae The Frenchie

Name:
    Lauren
    She has 3 meals a day, morning, lunch and evening. This seems to normally work well for her.
  8. Rae The Frenchie

Name:
    Lauren
    To be honest I have been following the feeding guidelines on the back of the pack and as of right now she is still okay on puppy food. Do you think it's worth changing to adult food?
    The problem is as she is a puppy and she eats everything and anything she can find and some things just don't agree with her. The vets said at this stage there wasn't any need to run any tests. I plan to call them back today and see what they say. I just worry that I am being an over anxious dog mum! :)
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No, you are not an over anxious dog mum, but relying on dog food guidelines on the back of the packs is not, in my opinion, the ideal thing. I also do not trust vets who say no need to run tests blah blah blah. Do your vets sell the food that is obviously causing the problems and just tell you to give your pup antacids?

And the vet does not think it is worth doing any tests?

I think you need to find a vet who will listen to you and who will test to find out why your baby has problems.
  10. Rae The Frenchie

Name:
    Lauren

I don’t solely rely on the packaging, Rae is gaining weight steadily so I use that as an indicator to how much I am feeding her. Her body shape and weight tell me she isn’t over or under weight. No my vets once sold me Purina good for her which I found out isn’t as nutritious as the one I’m currently feeding. I am thinking of looking for a new vets.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Just a thought, but could she be coming into her first season?
  12. Rae The Frenchie

Name:
    Lauren
    She was spayed last month!
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Good for you! My previous two girls were spayed three months after their first season, both having had them at just five months old. Tikva, my current little one was spayed at six months before she had ever come into season, but with so many loose and stray dogs around my vet thought it advisable to spay her once she had reached 6kg in weight.

Far too many popular breeds now being bred [my girls were mutts and Tikki is a cross breed] so I am always pleased to hear that people have the sense to spay/neuter their dogs.

I still think that maybe you should find a different vet and a better quality food. I cannot advise about brands as I am a raw feeder.
  14. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    They are difficult dogs we have had trouble with one of our babies keep trying white rice and boiled chicken. Best of luck.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why a particular breed might have a sensitive stomach? I do not remember which dog it was that once had an upset stomach [no doubt due to having eaten something someone had thrown into the yard] and having to let myself in to my then neighbour's house for some white rice because I did not have any. But even though I do not eat it myself, I have always kept some since then... just in case.
  16. Rae The Frenchie

Name:
    Lauren
    Chris B likes this.
    Thanks everyone for your comments. We were back at the vets yesterday as we have had a little more vomiting. The vet we saw this time really seemed to know what he was talking about. Although we still won't be running any tests just yet, he has advised us to change her food and give her probiotics and see how she goes, we have a review in a months time so fingers crossed there isn't any more vomiting. She is really happy in her self and full of energy still so that's good.