Yaay - the blanket men are back! General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Yaay - the blanket men are back!

Not that I wanted any new bedding and yesterday this guy just walked down my path to offer what he had. They usually just walk along the pavement, calling out things. Never had one just walk down my path but the door was open... and he did not have any blankets but just a lot of small-ish things. Tikva was a bit not sure but he was nice and did not try to come in. So I have got another rechargeable set of hair cutters [my last lot being nearly on their way out], and a perfect rechargeable lantern. Which has four different types of lighting and will definitely come in handy when we get power cuts in the winter.

Tikki was very wary but nowhere near she is with the fish van. She seems to know who to trust.

And now I can cut my hair again!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    And I have just cut my hair with my new clippers - made in Switzerland and so much better than my previous ones.

I think I got a good bargain with them both and I hope he comes again so I can see what else he has.

But I feel a bit guilty at haggling with him. :oops:
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    If somebody showed up at my door, unannounced, trying to sell me stuff, I certainly wouldn’t feel guilty about haggling with them. He sold them to you so he obviously made some profit
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Marc, I have bought things from the blanket men for years. Bedware, carpets, stuff. I do not remember what. They normally walk along the pavement and frequently they do not appear for months. This guy just walked down the path because he saw my door was open. He did not try to get in - well he could not because the rope was across the door.

I am not sure how to explain this. What I call the blanket men are from Gaza and have to have a licence to come onto the Moshav, Many people have bought blankets from them, and although some I would not go near to, some have been lovely. The current carpet in my salon I had asked one to please get for me. And even not having seen it before, when he brought it I love it. And the one in my bedroom? Probably bought from a blanket man 25 or 26 years ago.

You have to know who to trust. This man I trusted. Why? Because. He asked me if I trusted him even though he was an Arab - well why not? What difference did that make? And I shook his hand when he offered it. What the heck is the difference? He was a gentleman. Polite. Not pushing his products in my face. And I only knocked him down by 50 shekalim so what. But I would have paid full price for the quality of the products.

And he had had to walk a heck of a long way to find a buyer.

And oh am I pleased with what I bought.

And Amit is still trying to get me out of here because of the usual Friday balagans. Why can not they all be like this nice man, who did not care who or what I am. Offered a hand as a friend. We are all family.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Most people are just like you, Juli. If someone is nice you respond in kind.

Ordinary people just want to get on with life in peace. Why politicians around the World don't seem to understand that is beyond me x
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think that most of you know that I do not "do" politics. I only post some things when the situation concerns me, and even then I do not say exactly how things are. But sometimes I would like to post articles about things that are never published outside of here. But I do not "do" politics so I do not post them.

The hand shaking was unexpected. I am orthodox although I use my computer on Shabbat, which is not permitted. My problem. But I do cover my head so he knew. And normally I would not shake hands with a strange man. Which he would have known. But when he offered his hand I had no problems shaking it.

Difficult to explain unless you know the laws of Judaism. I should not have even bought anything from this nice man. But I am not perfect - I love the hugs I get from Amit and Ram even though I should not let them touch me. I guess I have my own laws and rules, wrong as they may be.

I do not care about race, religion, colour. I care about people. And I trust people who think the same. Which is why I never buy from the fish van now. They are from Yaffa. I do not like them and do not trust them. Because. And even when I used to there was no way I would shake their hand, not that one was ever offered,

I am not sure if any of you will understand what I am trying to say but I just wanted to say it to show how I felt.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I understand perfectly, Juli.

You are a people person who trusts your instincts. There's nothing wrong with that.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Goes both ways Chris. How did he know I would not have screamed my head off when I saw him walking down my path? Or Tikva go for him? She may be small but she can be the noisiest, threatening-sounding dog ever, and more than a few people are scared of her when she sounds off. Not that she would hurt anyone - she just thinks she is protecting me.

Do not forget that I live just across from the macolet, and if I had screamed all hell would have broken loose because everyone would have heard.

Instinct? Was that why I moved Xanadu to get my crutches and fully open the door? I had no idea what he was carrying but I am so glad I did see the things I bought.

Shook his hand? I could have hugged him.