Frenchie eating his feet Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Audrey, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Audrey

Audrey New Member

Name:
    Aud

Frenchie eating his feet

Please please help. Denzel is 14 months old and is constantly eating his feet. He has had pills from vet who said we may need to try hydrolysed diet. We think it's a habit now, he's been on grain free and hypoallergenic only fish and sweet potato. Still he's at his feet. Please help us x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Audrey likes this.
    Is Denzil a blue Frenchie? The blue colour is said to have more skin problems than other colours. I presume that your vet has tried all the usual antihistamine and steroidal products, have you tried Apoquel yet?
    If you think this has become a habit, you could try washing his feet when he comes in from his walk, and covering his feet with cotton baby socks while he is indoors, (wash in a non bio product).
    I am not a raw feeder myself, but I might be inclined to try avoiding preservatives by feeding either a raw - or a homecooked - meat and vegetable diet, supplemented with bonemeal and an omega 3/6, such as wild salmon oil.
  4. Audrey

Audrey New Member

Name:
    Aud
    He's brindle coloured, he's been on mackerel and sweet potato dry food mixed together. He has had the apoquel tablets and they helped a bit. Think I'll need to try the socks for a while. The noise goes through you. Thanks for your message.
  5. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    I've just received the apoqueal tablets I ordered online this morning from pet drugs online website, as it's cheaper than the vets. And they worked when the they said to try it for his scratching and foot licking. I got a script from the vets for 6 months worth and ordered 100 tabkets for £72. Whereas the vets wanted 45 a month which are only 30. May be worth thinking about. There's nothing worse than seeing your dog distressed, scratching and hurting themselves, so it's worth it to me.
  6. Audrey

Audrey New Member

Name:
    Aud
    I was speaking to the woman that I got him from earlier has she has his mum and dad, she said they do the same thing especially when they want attention. I also noticed on my pet cam that he's not doing it when he's alone.
  7. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Audrey likes this.
    Like with any breed, you cannot guarantee that just because they are a certain litter/color that they all have the same allergies and irritations. But that's just from my experience. A vet is obviously more qualified with scientific tests and diagnosis to be able to identify such conditions.I hope this goes some way to helping and reassuring you that there's always a solution to a problem, no matter how severe/worrying it is?
  8. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Our female had the same issues this spring. We took her to the vet and it was diagnosed as allergies. Tons of pollen is in the air. My wife took her off of Fromm and she takes a antihistamine daily and she’s doing much better. Hope this helps.