GSD Discipline? General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Old, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don

GSD Discipline?

Max is around two years old. He’s been really good about chewing on things around the house. He’s always liked shredding small pieces of paper. I just caught him chewing up a whole paper tablet he stole off my nightstand. I acted unhappy, he acted guilty, I told him to go get in his cage. He ran in and I let him out after ten minutes of calm.
    I am wondering how others handle discipline. Don’t bother to tell me to spank him, that’s not going to happen.
    Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Old likes this.
    Definitely no spanking Don - especially as Max did what you told him to do and got in his crate for a time-out. He probably acted guilty because you acted unhappy, not because of what he had done. Tikva does not shred paper but oh how she delights in shredding any tissue she can get, leaving confetti all over the place, which is why I try not leave any within reach. She does not look guilty though, more smirking "look what I have got" with bits of tissue hanging from her mouth.

I think Max is doing very well now, and obeying you when you told him to get in his crate really shows it.
  4. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    The difference between Max when we got him and now is absolutely amazing. Compared to when he was out of control and using me as a raw meat chew toy, the paper caper isn’t all that bad.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Old and CaroleC like this.
    It sounds to me that you are doing a great job. Max is still a puppy & will continue to do things he shouldn’t.
    I’m sure your exhausted & it’s understandable that you have less patience at certain times.
    It takes a while for a pup to understand what you want of them. They don’t have the benefit of understanding everything straight away.
    Gentle, firm, fair & consistency is the key. It sounds to me that it was just a small ‘ blip ‘
    Enjoy him he doesn’t mean to be naughty
    Philippa
  6. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    1. I’m still trying to figure this forum deal out. Am I supposed to hit “reply” on the same box that has incoming messages....or go down a little and there is an empty box that has a button for “Post Reply”?
    I tried both. I’m still not sure if all “Posts, Replies, Threads and things are making it to your Forum. I don’t have or want any tweets, facebooks, or social media things. I found this Breedia.com at a low time. I was about to have Max euthanized. I had almost given up but you people were nice and gave me encouragement that helped Max and me both. (Granted-the Police Officer that came along to train us, gets the credit for taming Max. No more blood. Thank God!
    Plus, you’re from all over the world. Now that I’m a world class computer socializer I’d like to keep conversing with you dog people on your website.
    Thanks, Donald
    P.S. I think this message will go to My Bear Yoji—I could be wrong.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Old and My bear Yoji like this.
    Do not worry about it Don [or would you prefer to be addressed as Donald?] - everything you post on the forum will appear wherever and however you post it, and as you have already found out, we are all here to help if we can.

Right, in case you are puzzled the following might help. Any other problems/questions, just ask :)

- If you just want to type a message on any thread you just go down to the empty box, type your message and then click on "Post Reply".

- If you want to respond to a particular post and have it quoted as you have done on your post #3 on this thread, you click on "Reply" and type underneath the quoted post.

- If you want to answer a specific person, type @ and then their user name [no space between @ and user name] in the first empty message box and it will show up as red in your message when you post it. As an example if I type @My bear Yoji it will show up in Philippa's Alerts. Just as this post of mine will show up in your Alerts as being a message on this thread. If you are not sure whether you have done it right, hit "More Options" and then "Preview..." - you can then correct any mistakes in your message before hitting "Post Reply".

- You can post a new thread in the sub-section "German Shepherd Dog" under "Dog Breed Forums" as you have done here - or in the "General Dog Chat" section under "General Dog Chat" - or in "Off Topic Chat" - and as you already know you can post a response on any thread on any section.

I do not know if you already do it but I would suggest that each time you visit Breedia you click on "New Posts" and you will see all posts that have been made since your previous visit. A number in a little red square will show you if and how many new posts have been made since that visit - and if there has been a new message on a thread you have posted on, or someone has quoted you, or given you a "Like" - it will show up on "Alerts" also with a number in a little red square. If you click on that if will show you.

It is lovely to see you posting and to hear how Max is getting on, so carry on conversing with us, and as I said, if there is anything you are not sure of, just ask! :)
  8. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don

Thank you so much! Your post ought to be given to all new people that come along. It’s like a Breedia.com Manual.
  9. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I got your message, thank you, stick with it, honestly you are doing great
  10. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Thanks again for all the instructions! I’ve had to go back and refer to it twice.