Wobbling dog Questions

Discussion in 'Tibetan Terrier' started by Angela Jones, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Angela Jones

Angela Jones New Member

Name:
    Angie

Wobbling dog

Hi my dog Millie has started wobbling and staggering she has been to the vet twice and given a steroid injection she has five four week old pups has any one had any experience of this she is going back to the vet's today (friday) any advice would be appreciated thank you angie
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Did the vet check her calcium levels?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Google eclampsia now!
    Get some calcium into her straight away - even if you can only get calcium carbonate indigestion tablets. Check that they are not sweetened with xylitol though.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am a bit surprised that the vet did not have some Collo-Cal D for such emergencies.
  6. Angela Jones

Angela Jones New Member

Name:
    Angie
    Hi Malka the vet checked her calcium and glucose level they took more bloods today just waiting on the results
  7. Angela Jones

Angela Jones New Member

Name:
    Angie
    Hi carolec would the vet not check for eclampsia when they took bloods
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    When I bred, I always had ColloCalD in stock for potential eclampsia. I didn't often need it, but it was my first response if I saw a rolling eye, heavy panting, or a wobble. I never got as far needing a blood test. Post whelping, a little extra calcium will do no harm, so it would just be a first aid response.
    However, if you say the vet has already checked her levels for calcium and glucose, there may well be something else going on. Good luck and do let us know the outcome.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Angie - you do not wait for results when a nursing bitch is wobbling and staggering, especially as she has been feeding five puppies. You get calcium into here pronto.

@CaroleC - you answered while I was typing, but one of the first things my mentor taught me was to have Collo-Cal D ready when one of my girls was whelping, and to give her some as soon as she started nursing her puppies. As far as I can remember I used to dose the bitch for the first couple of weeks, except for my Z girl when she produced five as she needed the extra calcium for a bit longer.

I do hope Angie's girl will be OK.
  10. Angela Jones

Angela Jones New Member

Name:
    Angie
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for th a advice carolec I will go and get some calcium pills and give her some
    I will keep you updated
    Thanks once again angie
  11. Angela Jones

Angela Jones New Member

Name:
    Angie
    Malka I am going for calcium pills and start her
    thanks for the advice
    Will keep you updated
    Thank you angie
  12. Angela Jones

Angela Jones New Member

Name:
    Angie
    Hi malka and carolec had blood results back and all is clear now the vet's think its neurological or stress with having pups its just horrible to watch back at vet tomorrow fingers crossed
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks for letting us know Angela. I hope the situation resolves itself soon.
    Best wishes for your girl and her litter.