Best Chew Toy Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Kash's Mama, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber

Best Chew Toy

I have a 6 month old male Belgian Malinois. My fiancé and I have bought him many toys but can't seem to find one that last. He has chewed through Jwow ball, working on his second Kong Tugga Wubba (he chews the ends off). Anything that has a rope on it is usually chewed through in a matter of days. Anyone have any suggestions of a good and durable chew toy?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't know the Jwow ball, and couldn't find it on Google, so can't comment on that one! Ropes and toys with fabric tails or ropes attached - like the Kong Wubba, or the floating/throwing Kong, are best kept for interactive play with the owner. They should last for years if kept for this purpose.
    It is natural for a 6 month old, high energy breed to chew on his toys, so I would go for the large black Kong, and pack it with gravy bone biscuits, or freeze it with soaked kibble inside. Buy the biggest carrots you can get, and let him exercise his jaws on those - either fresh, or freeze them. Nylabone make some really sturdy semi-hard chews which will last for ages if you get a large enough size. (I'm not thinking of the very hard ones, but the ones that have a slightly rubbery feel, which is kinder to the teeth).
    Though not in the same league as a Malinois, my own breed can be hard on toys, but I have been surprised at some of the small things that have survived. I bought a three pack of Kong squeaky tennis balls three years ago. Only one has been split and de-squeaked, one is still in use, and I still have one in reserve - noisy, but a bargain. The Boomer balls that dispense treats are good too. Don't go for the cheaper version, they can crack them to get them open, pick the original, and the correct size for your breed.
  4. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    Thank you Carole! We never thought about carrots! He loves celery and ice. I have one of the Kong toys that we put peanut butter and a treat in but it doesn't last but about 15 minutes. We have a couple of the Nylabones, but I think ours are the harder ones. He's such a hard chewer that we fear he will break a tooth. Kash loves chasing balls so we are trying to find one that he can carry around and chew when he wants. I've attached what we've gotten him since we have had him. He loves the leather pig but as you can tell the ears and legs have been devoured.
    If you have any other suggestions, we are certainly up to suggestions.

Attached Files:

5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Kash's Mama likes this.
    I do not know of any really strong chew toys but yak cheese dog chews are supposed to be extremely long-lasting. @who owns who has two Akitas and he gives them yak cheese chews. Hopefully he will see this post and maybe advise more about them - I have just ordered some from Amazon for my mini power-chewer but they have not yet arrived.
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Kash's Mama likes this.
    My Dogs love the Yak cheese chews. They don’t last days (well mine do because I only let them have them for 1/2-1 hour a day, and they don’t actually get them everyday..). I would certainly suggest trying them.

Have you tried the squeaky toys made from firehose? Those are pretty good with my dogs, they’ll chew off the appendages, but the rest lasts pretty well.

The other toys that last with my dogs are a plush toy made by ‘Fluff and Tuff’. I got them 4 in July, and still have 3, as well as the 2 new ones my parents sent them as holiday gifts (all’s I got was an event planner/calendar that I don’t need, as I put all that on my phone..LOL).

I would say my dogs are moderately hard on toys, but not as bad as some. I always cut tags that are sewn in off before I give them the toys. I’ve developed an eye for ones that are better for them than others. Some things only last mere minutes.

Hope this helps. Good luck
  7. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    Thanks!!! I'll look into those!
  8. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    Thank you for the insight! I will definitely look those up toys up. Just want to give my boy something that keep him occupied during his down time in the house. Right now he likes his Kong orange floating toy. We have found out anything with a rope we have to remove the rope because it doesn't last very long. Hopefully we can find him something reliable and durable.
  9. Itsmegeni

Itsmegeni New Member

Name:
    Geneva
  10. Itsmegeni

Itsmegeni New Member

Name:
    Geneva
    Deer antlers. Something
  11. Itsmegeni

Itsmegeni New Member

Name:
    Geneva
    Deer antlers. Something about em they love. And they don't last DAYS, they last WEEKS even MONTHS.
  12. DizzyBadger

DizzyBadger New Member

Name:
    Greg
    I have an 8 month old Malinois my vet recommended hooves and she loves them. They are pretty cheap and last well for a Malinois anyway. They also have little to no smell.
  13. Kash's Mama

Kash's Mama New Member

Name:
    Amber
    We just got him an antler from my mother-in-law last week and he has only put a dent into the tips. He absolutely loves it and it keeps him occupied!